Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (TNWake)      Join Date: May 2013       07-25-2013, 6:07 AM Reply   
I'm debating about towing my boat down to FL from TN (as opposed to winterizing & storing) in a month or so. However, I'm not sure of any good freshwater riding areas near me (Palm Beach/Martin County, 2.5 hrs south of Orlando).

Does anyone know of any good lakes/rivers that allow public access/access with a permit? I was thinking maybe the north part of the St. Lucie River (40 min away). I'd could go as far north as Sebastien, but closer would be preferable

Thanks
Old     (burn229)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-25-2013, 8:17 AM Reply   
You're going to be hard pressed to find good riding spots in southern Florida. You would have an easier time in central Florida but that doesn't sound like an option for you. I would say the St, Lucie River or Okeeheelee Park would be your best option. Okeeheelee is the closest and I know they have boats there because I can see them from the Turn Pike when I go to Miami.

http://www.pbcgov.com/parks/boating/...waterboatramps
Old     (ToPHeR35)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-25-2013, 8:24 AM Reply   
Isn't there a private lake along the turnpike where they give lessons or something? It might be a little further down towards Broward too....I swear it's like in a public park or something...
Old     (Intrlaz)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-25-2013, 9:10 AM Reply   
Yes there is a watersports complex off of I-95 or the turnpike. I've never been and don't know if it is private or not.

I grew up in Stuart just north of Palm Beach and rode there for many years. The best place for calm, mostly fresh water is in the South Fork near Palm City. There is a boat ramp at Leighton park that will drop you close, and you head south through the no wake zone for about 15 minutes. Where the slow zone ends is a big island. This is the spot. The more zoomed in map shows the island with the words "St. Lucie River" on the northeast side. The river is wide enough to drive double ups at both the north and south ends of the island.

Before you head up there I would try to check the status of the slow zones, since I haven't rode there in quite a while and its possible FWC made the entire area no wake. It looks to me like there is a boat moving at a decent pace on the satellite, so you should be fine.

Last edited by Intrlaz; 07-25-2013 at 9:13 AM. Reason: pic
Old     (BigTEX)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-25-2013, 10:39 AM Reply   
Are you talking about Ski Rixen in Quiet Waters Park? If so thats a public Cable Park
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-26-2013, 7:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTEX View Post
Are you talking about Ski Rixen in Quiet Waters Park? If so thats a public Cable Park
I think he's thinking of Okeeheelee Park (mentioned earlier).. that used to have a full 3-event setup (haven't been by that way in years). Based on sat pictures.. it sure looks like it still has a full ski/wake setup.
Old     (ToPHeR35)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-26-2013, 8:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator View Post
I think he's thinking of Okeeheelee Park (mentioned earlier).. that used to have a full 3-event setup (haven't been by that way in years). Based on sat pictures.. it sure looks like it still has a full ski/wake setup.
That's it!
Old     (TNWake)      Join Date: May 2013       07-26-2013, 7:19 PM Reply   
Thanks for the replies.

Does anyone know if areas of the PSL River are fresh water? It seems like the areas close to the ocean would be brackish, I'd prefer to keep away from salt.

Thanks
Old     (Intrlaz)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-27-2013, 1:49 AM Reply   
The water is considered brackish, but in the area I showed you for example, you cannot taste any salt in the water.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-27-2013, 5:40 AM Reply   
TNW, their is a canal with public access right down town in West Palm beach, its been a couple years but I rode right in the canal when I wad down there, you not afraid of the canal are you?
Old     (Intrlaz)      Join Date: Jul 2013       08-01-2013, 3:18 AM Reply   
Probably not a good idea to ride in the South Fork now.

"In the St. Lucie, oysters are shriveling, sea grass beds are withering and waste-related bacteria levels have soared so high that Martin County health authorities have posted signs warning people not to swim in the river. It’s a mess that makes an unrelated algae bloom in Biscayne Bay appear relatively benign."

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/07/2...#storylink=cpy