Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       03-21-2007, 8:08 PM Reply   
so i got a macbook pro for my 18th b day slash early graduation. so far i have Creative Suite 2, Final Cut Pro, and the stock software. im looking into aperture or lightroom for when i get my dslr pretty son here hopefully. also anyone have any tips for mac as im still fairly new at it i came from pc
Old     (_jason_)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-21-2007, 11:03 PM Reply   
Ive had a macbook for quite some time now. I would recommend going to www.flip4mac.com they have certain downloads that are nice. and also have a download for turning wmv files into quicktime so you can view them. How do you like the laptop so far?
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       03-21-2007, 11:45 PM Reply   
loving it. im really glad i switched to mac also. now if i can just stop buying little things and get about 400 more dollars saved up i can get my 30d with the canon 70-200f4l lens. then maybe come out and shoot some the dra comps. yeah eh first day i got the mac book i ened up searching out the wmv to quicktime guy. only thing im not happy about is i just got it and it doesn't have the wireless n enabler.
Old     (gehennaengine)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-22-2007, 6:34 AM Reply   
I would flip for the 70-200 f2.8L instead. That way, you can get the 2x extender for only a couple hundred more and have 400 f4 or the 200 f2.8.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=220457&is=USA&added TroughType=search
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-22-2007, 7:39 AM Reply   
A couple other free programs I use:

mpeg streamclip
VLC player
Carbon copy cloner

As far as Flip4Mac goes I use their free WMV player component plug-in but I didn't want to spring for $179 just to create HD WMV files so I'm using Visual Hub which is only $23. I wish Apple and Microsoft would quit feuding over this and Microsoft would add WMV support for the Mac OS again.

As far as hardware goes I got an expresscard CF card reader which is faster then my firewire version and more convenient as well. Get a cool pad tp put underneath it if you don't want to hear the fan all the time when using aperture/photoshop/FCP.
My latest purchase is a 320gb LaCie "little big disk" which is a bus powered FW800 mini RAID. I keep my aperture library on it and still have plenty of room for my active FCP projects.

Jed,

You lose 2 stops with a 2X so you would have a 400 f5.6.
Old     (swami)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-22-2007, 8:05 AM Reply   
Plus you have the 1.6x crop factor so that would be a 640mm zoom.

I rented the 2x extender once.. didn't like it.

Sorry for hijack.
Old     (gehennaengine)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-22-2007, 9:58 AM Reply   
Thanks for the correction, Rich. Swami, what didn't you like about the 2x extender?
Old     (bakes5)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-22-2007, 10:47 AM Reply   
A 400 is a 400 no matter the crop factor. No additional resolving power is gained by using the smaller sensors.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-22-2007, 10:50 AM Reply   
if you need to still run a windows program. parallels is a cool windows emulation program that works really well...
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-22-2007, 2:41 PM Reply   
"A 400 is a 400 no matter the crop factor. No additional resolving power is gained by using the smaller sensors."

I think I know what you're trying to say but that is not excatly accurate. Unless the lens can't outresolve the limits of the sensor higher pixel density like that on the 20/30D's and XTI provides more detail information then the equivalent FOV crop from a lower density sensor like the 5D's. For example if you and I stand at the same place with the same focal length lens, I've got a 5D and you a 30D, if you compare the 30D image to the equivalent crop out of the 5D image you will see more detail in the 30D image. Again let me stress this only works if the glass can outresolve the sensor. These extremely dense sensors are starting to outresolve the lower quality lenses. I believe Nikon has already hitting the limits with their 12mp 1.5X sensors
Old     (bakes5)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-23-2007, 2:14 AM Reply   
Good point although at the high sensor densities out there, I wonder how much practical difference there really is.

Anybody got a 5D and a 30D they want to do a little test on? Get a quarter and see how far away you can resolve the date on it with a specific lens using the 5D. Then take that same lens and put it on your 30D and see if you get any more range.

Now take the 5D with a 200mm lens and find the distance you can resolve the date of the quarter. Then take your 30D and put a 35mm equivalent of the 200mm lens on and check the distance.

My guess, and I have nothing to base it on but just a hunch, is that you will be able to resolve the date on the quarter much further out with a true 200mm on the 5d as opposed to a 200mm equivalent on the 30D

Later

Bakes
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-23-2007, 7:33 AM Reply   
I haven't done it but another guy did on FM did. In essence a 20/30D sized "crop" out of a 5D image is right around 5 megapixels vs the 8 mp of the 1.6X sensor. Obviously if you compare 2 equivalent FOV images, one at 5 mp and the other at 8mp, the 8mp will show more detail. How much? Again the quality of the lens is as critical here as anything. Why not keep making pixels smaller/denser then? - Noise, a factor Nikon has struggled with way more then Canon over the past few years.
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-26-2007, 9:40 AM Reply   
Real quick, i would not suggest Lacie drives because they have been know to be ticking time bombs. I know several people that after about 2 years or so have them go out. Its the type of drive they are, i would also recommend a raid drive over a regular because you never know if it will crash, that way you got a back up.
Old     (swami)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-26-2007, 11:08 AM Reply   
http://www.leggnet.com/2007/03/digital-camera-sensor-sizes-explained.html this might shed some light on this.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-26-2007, 12:06 PM Reply   
"Real quick, i would not suggest Lacie drives because they have been know to be ticking time bombs."

I've heard that as well but given the equivalent GRaid Mini (with the same Seagate drives inside) was $300 more I figured I'd take my chances. BTW the Lacie I got is a striped RAID mechanism, I think you're talking about a mirrored RAID array. I've had enough drives fail on me to be pretty religious about backing up the data I can't afford to lose.
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-26-2007, 1:43 PM Reply   
For sure, i actually gave up on pre-packaged drives. I just bought 2 500g hitachi drives that are sata2. Then i bought a 4 port Raid enclosure as well as a 4 port sata2 Raid controller card. What i have been told is that Sata2 drives are the way to go, Lacie uses a different type of drive. But i still have my Lacie drives from before, i dont like to use them but i have some.
Old     (swami)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-26-2007, 2:41 PM Reply   
I can't wait till flash drives are big and fast... once we get rid of the spinning platters, data stability/reliability will increase 10000000x.

:-)
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-26-2007, 3:05 PM Reply   
I'm not a big LaCie fan and I've always "rolled my own" drive setups in the past as well but trying to find a bus powered FW800 enclosure with hardware striping that one can put their own notebook drives into is tough. Plus as I'm doing everything with a MacBook Pro these days a RAID controller card is kind out of the question as well!
Old     (gehennaengine)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-26-2007, 9:00 PM Reply   
If I could just sneak the 3000e out of my data center at work and fit it into my office...

http://xiotech.com/Products-and-Services_Data-Storage_Magnitude-3D-3000.aspx
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       03-26-2007, 9:09 PM Reply   
yeah if only