Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 21, 2006

Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       05-30-2006, 11:47 AM Reply   
I've got an '06 with the Monsoon and a bunch of weight. The stock 4 blade just isn't cutting it out of the hole and I'd love something that turns a few less RPMS. What do you use, how much weight are you running and what thoughts do you have on the subject?
thanks in advance
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       05-30-2006, 1:44 PM Reply   
Brooke, I'm in the same boat (no pun intended). When we load up with ballast and a lot of people, which is what we do for photo shoots many times, it can take a while to get up on plane.

Check out Wakeside's propeller section. They've got most boats listed with recommendations for Acme props based on the amount of weight you run. I'm torn between the 537 and 857, but I'll probably eventually go with the 537 since a lot of extra weight isn't really necessary for "pro level" wakes in this boat.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       05-30-2006, 2:04 PM Reply   
ok, so what do those two do with RPMS and top speeds and all that business?
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       05-30-2006, 2:04 PM Reply   
great little guide by the way, I didn't see that before, although I hadn't looked too hard
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-30-2006, 2:32 PM Reply   
Dave-
I would say we are running around 2700lbs of ballast plus usually 3-5 people in Brooke's boat. Great wake but slow out of the hole. I think the rpms are around 3400 at 25mph although I didn't pay that close of attention to the tach.

brooke-
looking at those specs the rpms are going up on either prop you pick. I would say the 857 is going to be pretty bad from a high rpm standpoint. Plus the cup on the prop is .060 which is going to allow the prop to slip more out of the hole which will turn greater rpm's. Last year I put a prop with .060 cup on my nautique and sent it back after one time out cause it seemed to just turn higher rpms but didn't get out of the hole faster. I ended up with the .105 cup prop which won't slip as much.

I would like to hear what others are using as an option though.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       05-30-2006, 2:36 PM Reply   
that was .060 cup? that thing stunk! It was worse than either one you had!

Anyone else?
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-30-2006, 2:45 PM Reply   
i've got the 537 (didn't ask for it, but the dealer installed it after i hit a stump), and i don't have many complaints. i don't run nearly as much weight (the most i've had is stock + 800 lb. sack + 6-7 people and no wedge), but it seems to get up on plane with little effort. how much weight do you run in thew bow? it is a little scary how high the rpm's can get at cruising speeds--40 mph and up--but you just have to be alert
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       05-30-2006, 2:49 PM Reply   
Brooke, the basic concept is that the more lower end you get from your prop, the more high end you lose and, depending on the overall use of the boat, the more gas you will use. Obviously, if you always run a lot of weight and never run at higher speeds, one of these props might actually help you to use less gas.

I normally run with stock ballast and the Wedge and the current prop works just fine for that unless you have a lot of people on board. That's why I don't want to get too crazy with a prop. I only need it occasionally when we have big crowds or have added extra weight for certain riders.
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-30-2006, 3:28 PM Reply   
Brooke,
I was looking at the specs further and the 537 they are recommending is identical to the 536 that I am running on my currently except for the rotational direction. Same goes for the 857 for your boat vs. the 856 that I put on mine and hated. The only thing to consider here also is the tranny. I am not sure the ratio of the transmission on yours vs. mine. I think mine is a 1.23-1 ratio drive train.

(Message edited by sbt3 on May 30, 2006)