Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (reinle)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-28-2010, 7:02 PM Reply   
Just finished submitting my application for graduate schools for the University of Florida and I plan on attending UF if approved. Assuming I'm approved, what is the wake scene at the local lakes around there? I know there are three or four cable parks in Florida, what are the closest ones? I'm in Kentucky now, and have only been to Florida a couple of times in my life, so I'm stoked to move down and ride year round. Any info or websites to check is appreciated.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-29-2010, 3:51 AM Reply   
Cable Park links below...McCormick's is probably an easier trip down I-75. I don't know the scene up in that area at all, but we ride an hour South of there pretty often on Lake Weir.

http://www.skimccormick.com/

http://www.orlandowatersports.com/
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-29-2010, 5:44 AM Reply   
Hey Cory - I used to ride on Taylorsville Lake every evening years back when I lived in Louisville. I loved that lake! Lots of good memories out there.
Ive heard there is a wake scene in Gainsville - UF may even have its own collegiate wake team or club, seems Ive heard people mention it from time to time on here.
That said - I live 30 minutes south of Gainsville and typically head to Orlando or Tampa every weekend to ride. Occassionally Kat is nice enough to tow up to Ocala and I get a driving break!
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-29-2010, 6:12 AM Reply   
I went to UF for grad school as well. When I was there the school had its own wakeboat and you could schedule times to go ride at Lake Wauberg...and it is included in your student activities fee! Fortunately, I actually brought my own boat with me, so we spent a lot of time at Lake Alto...to this day my most favorite lake on earth. Check to see if the UF Wakeboard club is still active, there is a lot of networking to do there, meet other people with boats. OWC is the closest cable park for sure.
Old     (reinle)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-29-2010, 7:17 AM Reply   
Ted- Yea man, Taylorsville is a great lake to ride at. The Boatworks crew have really pushed the scene down there. Even on weeknights its not uncommon to see 4 or 5 wake boats pulling people. The weekends get a little crazy now because of all of the Louisville people coming down to go boating and tubing.

Kat- Thanks for the links. I'm really looking forward to pushing my cable and rail riding once I get down there.

Timothy- Its covered in the student activity fee! that is insanely awesome! I will definitely see if I can look the wakeboard team up and start networking. I just hope graduate school allows me enough free time to get some shredding in.

Thanks to all for the information...keep it coming.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-29-2010, 8:23 AM Reply   
I remember when Boatworks was starting to get going. I was at the first Tourney they did at Taylorsville. Im glad to hear the scene is progressing. I also remember the lines at the ramp - Im sure they are worse now. That Chevron on the corner had the best PBandJ sammies!!

Taylorsville was always better than riding the dirty Ohio!
Old     (gunnertom4593)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-29-2010, 10:36 AM Reply   
I'm going to UF next year too and I checked out the scene a little. Lake Wauberg is good for sure, you can get 1 set per week wth your student activity card behind a new malibu 21 vride. Then on the other lakes around there I'm sure there is a scene but I haven't talked to anyone who is a part of it.
I am a local at McCormicks this year and will definitely be making the trip down there every couple of weeks, you are welcome to come with.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-29-2010, 11:16 AM Reply   
Lake Santa Fe with your own boat or the Universities Lake Wauburg plus a bunch of little lakes in between. You'll love it. Trips to Orlando and the St. Johns River are a must. I would ride in morning before classes and weekends. Except for a couple cool months, the water and weather will be great.

Its said you spend 4 years trying to graduate then the rest of your life trying to get back. There's some truth to that. Good luck and Go Gators!
Old     (joshbank)      Join Date: Aug 2009       02-03-2010, 1:12 PM Reply   
Hey I'm on the UF wake team so if you ever need information about riding when you're up here let me know. Facebook is the easiest way to find me.
But if anyone has a boat that they ride on besides the school's Malibu it would be a lot of fun to head out and ride on a different wake sometime.
Old     (geogilbert)      Join Date: May 2007       02-07-2010, 8:50 PM Reply   
I went there a few years ago. and will second the Lake alto comment. Best public lake in the area. if you can get on Cowpen that it is a bit better typically. Santa Fe is nice on occasion but it is much more crowded and it can be hard to find good water.
Old     (4hun)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-06-2010, 9:11 PM Reply   
If anyone wants to ride in Gainesville during the week let me know. I typically am out of town most weekends but would love to ride more early evenings during the week. Lake Alto is really high now and perfect to ride on. I have an Xstar just need gas!! Shoot me an email Shawn@goldenhammerinc.com.