Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-17-2013, 8:13 AM Reply   
What your guys opinion on a 06 Calabria ProV?

Surf wave?

Rough water ride?

Quality built boat?

Wakeboard wake?
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       10-17-2013, 10:11 AM Reply   
I really like my 02, being on the east coast i NEVER see one like mine out.
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       10-17-2013, 4:41 PM Reply   
I have a 07 Team V and love it. I feel like it's the best of both worlds. A 21ft boat with the seating of a 23 footer.

Mine has 1100lbs of pure vert and the WB wake is nice. Still tweaking on the surf wave setup. I think I just need a bag in the port storage.

Likes: interior room, quick ballast, good looking stainless steel tower, rear compartment storage is huge and continues forward under the rear seats, 65 gallon fuel tank placed between the helm/spotters seat acts like forward ballast, fuel caps on both sides of the boat.

Dislikes: although the tower looks nice it's freaking heavy to lower alone, the wake plate centers itself every time you turn the key off (depending on the 06 build date it may not have the adjustable plate), they put the factory sub under the spotters seat (easy fix), small bow.......at the expense of a huge cabin.

Misc: depending on how many people I have in the boat it porpoises a bit when I'm at higher speeds (35 and up) so I do have to bump the plate down occasionally. The the interior quality isn't the best but it's far from the worst. 600 hours on mine and no rips tears or fading. The hull quality is great and it's a solid boat that rides well in rough water. It doesn't have a really deep freeboard so with 65 gallons of gas up front you need to be cautious about water over the bow when the ballast is full. On the flip side the placement of the tank gives you zero bow rise when coming out of the hole.

2 fiends of mine had pro v's in the past and I sold my 06 Tige with under 50 hours on it to jump on mine when I saw it. Another friend of mine just sold their prostar and picked up an 05 pro v.

They're not perfect but I/we love them. For some reason hydrofoilers gravitate towards them LOL.

If you have any more Q's post them up.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-17-2013, 4:54 PM Reply   
I almost pulled the trigger on one around 08 or 09. Not the best built boat in the world but not bad generally speaking for the price. theres little things like carpet to vinyl areas that are not finished as nice as other boats and components used that aren't the greatest( I didn't like the shifter smoothness which was cable and shifter related). The boat i liked was brand new so it wasn't from wear. I really liked the ballast and the adjustable wake plate, if its a fixed plate i'd make an adjustable one a priority. Rough water ride is good and gets better with the plate down. The bow is pretty small like bstroop said, but the cabin is lay out is perfect. Sure you could nitpick some things, but at the end of the day its a good all around boat especially for the money. I wish they would have come out with a true 23ft boat because I think it'd be a nice blend of economy and size and i've always liked the look and layout of the pro v
Old     (jbird)      Join Date: Jun 2011       10-17-2013, 5:09 PM Reply   
Great looking boats! But when I sit in them, the tops of the seats are in the middle of my back....High floors?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-17-2013, 8:08 PM Reply   
My brother has one. Nice boat, surfs and wake boards well, lots of interior space, rough water ride suck compared to my Sanger.
He likes the fast ballast a lot. It should be relatively inexpensive compared to more popular brands with similar equipment.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-17-2013, 8:21 PM Reply   
Boats are solid boats. They are built well. No frills and minimal bling, but just enough of what must people like. Their vinyl is simple. Their boats were some the roomier boats foot per foot back then. Purevert ballast is nice. The wakes are on the rampier side. They lack a bit of that vertical kick but they are clean and predictable. They are also a bit softer than most meaning you can blow through them if you really charge them hard.

As mentioned due to the Purevert system the seat base length from the floor to the top is very shallow. You feel like your sitting really low to the ground even though the boat has a ton of freeboard. The Purevert means the floor is raised so it can hold all that ballast under it. It rides solid and handles bigger water ok. It's not quite the deep v of a Sanger or a Centurion but not the flattest either so it's above average. Quality wise again middle of the road. Not the top, not the worst. The boat is a solid performer.

I think there are better wakes out there , but that's because I like a bit steeper. poppier wake. You get a ton of space, a solid feel and a decent rough water ride so some night way that more than the wake performance. I have no surf experience on it.
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-18-2013, 5:48 AM Reply   
i am not a fan of water over the bow.... my Tige 20i did that.... I might have to pass since we want a lot of freeboard
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-18-2013, 6:04 AM Reply   
The boat has a good amount of freeboard and sits relatively high. It's no where near a 20I freeboard or low bow . Not sure where you got the "water over the bow" statement, but this boat doesn't have swamping issues related to its bow that I am aware o or experienced. The bow is just smaller in terms of room because they opted to give you more cabin space.
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       10-18-2013, 8:51 AM Reply   
When I gave my mini review above I mentioned being careful about water over the bow. It definitely doesn't sit low like a 20i (I had a 20i). When my 1100lb ballast is full, 65 gallon front mounted fuel tank is full, and I have 12 people in the boat.....I have to be careful about taking water over the bow.

Keep in mind the weight distribution on the Calabria. The ballast tanks run the length of the hull and the fuel tank is up front. When you come out of the hole there's almost no now rise and when you come off throttle (with ballast full) it settles down flat. The transom doesn't sink and the bow doesn't rise much. That's why you need to be careful when you're weighed down with a large group of people. With the normal crew of 5-6 I don't have to worry about anything at all.
Old     (Rad_Matty_D)      Join Date: Jun 2011       10-18-2013, 2:15 PM Reply   
everything here sounds about right. I have an 08 Team-V. The tower does weigh a ton! When you put good speakers on the tower--it becomes a 2 man job to raise/lower it for parking.

Ballasts are great with the Team-V at 1100lbs. Add a couple sacs and the surf wave is awesome too.

I have no regrets but once you go Pure-Vert you won't go back.