Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old     (wakeraid)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-03-2006, 3:30 PM Reply   
Has anyone ridden behind an 06 centurion cyclone? im looking into getting a new boat but im limited on size. I really can only get a boat thats less than 21ft. I went to the boat show a week or two ago and saw the cyclone was greatly impressed..anyone have any first hand knowledge? thanks!
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-03-2006, 4:14 PM Reply   
What about a Tige 20V? Much better boat all around. Thicker hull, for stability, heavier, for better wake, and and still only 20'.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-03-2006, 5:42 PM Reply   
X1 or Snager 210 IMO... I have never been on or behind a 20V, I might just change my mind after I ride behind Robb's boat.
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-03-2006, 6:04 PM Reply   
Sorry Attila!!! I can't explain why, but I went with the DD. .... ... Don't ask. You'll laugh!

Anyway, I will be upgrading soon, and then it won't be so funny.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-03-2006, 6:09 PM Reply   
Hey Robb... I wasn't bashing your boat, I didn't even know it was a DD. I hope you didn't take any offense.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-03-2006, 7:25 PM Reply   
Cyclone is a great boat! It could e that I own one but The Cyclone has a vert wake. It is weighs les than the Tige so if youdont want the extra weight you can dump the ballast since the Tige already weighs more yopu are always stuck draging the extra weight around.
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-03-2006, 9:28 PM Reply   
Attila, I wasn't offended. Takes way more than that. When you hear the story, you'll understand. Like I said though, I will be upgrading as soon as I get a job.

Dylan, it weighs more, but that means it handles the rough water better. Have you ever taken a boat accross a lake, and had your teeth rattled out?
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-03-2006, 9:34 PM Reply   
I still have all my teeth.
The shape of the hull is more improtant than the weight. IMHO
Old     (joe1975)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-03-2006, 11:23 PM Reply   
I have to say Tige hands down. I performnce, rife, wake, Tige wins. I have sold many Cyclones, and been in many, and i feel that it is hard to clean up the wake. One side is always washing out, and changes every time you get on plane. The Tige does weigh more, and you feel it in the quality ride.

If you get a chance, please Demo the 20v against the cyclone...they are similarly priced but perform very different.

Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-04-2006, 6:37 AM Reply   
I to would also recomend a demo the wakes are very different. Try to get behind both boats
Old     (mars)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-04-2006, 10:25 AM Reply   
Local dealer and support mean something also. You want to be able to get the inevitable issues with any boat addressed in a timely, friendly way.
Agree that the Cyclone's wake can be touchy but once you know what you are doing it's very good. Also, agree that I liked the flexibility of having a heavy boat when needed and a lighter boat when not for fuel consumption, towing, etc.
There are so few really bad boats these days, it just about boils down to preference and opinion (of which there is no shortage of in online forums!)
In my market it was a choice of MC, Malibu, and Centurion.
The MC were overpriced and perfomed well but certainly did NOT stand out compared to other boats, the dealer has a soso reputation for service.
The malibu had a good wake but pounded like you wouldn't believe, although the price was very competitive and the dealer a good guy.
The Centurion rode the chop like a champ thanks to the V in the hull which also makes the wake touchy and was a better value (not by much) and the dealer friendly enough. I went Centurion and don't regret it.
Boats are compromises of various handling traits, find the mix that suits YOU. Take input (including mine) with appropriate grains of salt.
Old     (p_e_ski)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-04-2006, 1:50 PM Reply   
My dealer sells Centurion, Malibu and Nautiques. We went with an 04 Cyclone due to the value. Got a lot of good options in the boat for less money. wake is very good and crisp at the lip. If you add extra ballast, you will need to move it around in order to get the wake even on both sides, but once you do, the wake will give you good air time. I am not 100% sure if the 04 and 06 hull is the same, but I think they are. Kevin Baugh or Kris Rigan can probably tell you better than me. They both post pretty regular here. Mars said put it very well, all these boats are good nowadays, it just all depends on personal preference.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-04-2006, 2:16 PM Reply   
Yes they are the same the hull has not changed
Old    r3612            05-04-2006, 8:46 PM Reply   
KEVIN is right hull is still the same....only the lightning's hull changed to be more like the Avalance and Cyclone...more of a deeper v and a poppier wake.

Own an 04 Cyclone myself. SWEET factory wake with just factory ballast. Like most have said.....HARD AND VERT. It is a little testy to get dialed in to your liking. Def opt for the hydraulic trim tab. The wake is just sensitive when you get over 3or 4 adults in the boat. We ride on average 3people 1 rider and never have a problem at all.

As to chop BOAT IS awesome. Rough water rider has alot to do with the hull and Centurions have some of the deepest v's in the market, but downside to that is.....you guessed it the wake can be touchy with balancing side to side. Just have to make sure peopel are sitting in he right places (most cases on any wakeboat) Owning 4 Centurions and would def get another one......

Speaking from nightmares though.......A ton of people overloook the dealer aspect....seeing as how I have seen 3 Centurion dealers in the past 3 years in my are really sucks....First one we bought are boat from went under..good thing cuz they were terrible ( we actually sold our Centurion due to that fact)

Bu then a new dealer took over their product.....a great dealler and welll known for great customer service....2nd one was the best, customer service I've or my family has ever received and we owned boats for 40+yrs...was awesome..

third 10 times worse than the first as they are the number I/O dealer for larson in the country and well have no clue about how to treat an inboard cutomer let alone their centurion customers. They have 1 centurion on the floor...They didn't even know my seats came out...they thought I had to screw gun them out UNREAL AND THEY SELL THIS BOAT. Was told when I went to schedule a warranty issue service reques t that there was 48 YES 48 boats in front of mine WTF IS that it would be a month before they could look at it. UNREal........So will have to bite the bullet again. (SEriosly considering selling again

So honestly imo boats mfg's these days all produce a great product.....so get behind a few and check em out...but take a good look at the dealer for sure. Those 2 boats are great choice. Tige has stepped it up I just really don't care for their wake. That's my personal preference tho. But nice thing about Tige compared to the centurion is that the wakes shape can be manipulated a little more to accommadate a variety of riders so beginners aren't so intimidated. That is a huge benefit for most people.

Sorry for the long post I'm itchin to ride and weather isn't cooperating
ist pic is rider 6ft 2 at 23mph with factory ballast full (3 tanks) and a side sac in the nose abot 200lbs

UploadUpload

(Message edited by r3612 on May 04, 2006)
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-04-2006, 8:54 PM Reply   
It is a bit of a ride but http://www.clarkboat.com can always take care of your Centurion
Old    r3612            05-04-2006, 8:54 PM Reply   
Aslo forgot to mention that these boats are solid...no rattles at all from the 3 I"ve owned 99 air warrior, 02 hurricane, 04 Cyclone C4

here's a cuople more wake pics from the Cyclone these are just factory (3 tanks) and 3 people in the boat

WAKE LOOKS CLEAN TOO ME BUT YOU GUYS BE THE JUDGE

Upload
Upload
Upload

Old    r3612            05-04-2006, 8:59 PM Reply   
Kev we know apprecite it too. We are headed dowm this weekend to Shelbville so may just swing over there. Have an upholstery thing that I need to get squared.

BTW Patt thanks for the shout...Glad to see you're liking the ride you got Great choice
Old    walt            05-04-2006, 9:18 PM Reply   
(WAKE LOOKS CLEAN TOO ME BUT YOU GUYS BE THE JUDGE)

IMHO it looks clean and very very small.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-04-2006, 9:23 PM Reply   
Oh it not small Pictures are deceiving especially wit a 6’ 2” rider
Old    walt            05-04-2006, 9:26 PM Reply   
It looks small to Me ! I've shot plenty of photo's of tall guys wakeboarding and that is small IMO.

That last pic looks like it's about ankle high.
Old     (scheersound)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-04-2006, 9:27 PM Reply   
i have to agree with walt the wake is very clean but not very big. Just my 2 cents.

(Message edited by scheersound on May 04, 2006)
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-04-2006, 9:29 PM Reply   
Well I guess you just need to get behind one to find out for sure
Old    walt            05-04-2006, 9:33 PM Reply   
I'd love to because I mostly hear negative things about the wake (centurion sales reps excluded) and I'd like to see for myself.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-04-2006, 9:37 PM Reply   
Straight lines NOT ANKEL HIGH!Upload
Old    walt            05-04-2006, 9:41 PM Reply   
I was being sarcastic Kevin.

It looks just like My friends I/O wake. (no joke)
Old    walt            05-04-2006, 9:45 PM Reply   
Make a new line now that the photo is straight. Upload
Old    walt            05-04-2006, 9:51 PM Reply   
I guess your right Kevin. Pics can be deceiving.

Upload
Old    wakebmxer            05-04-2006, 9:52 PM Reply   
The wake looks average but I know from experience it is very lacking compared to a Mastercraft 205 hull. But not everybody needs or likes a big fat meaty wake.
Old    walt            05-04-2006, 9:55 PM Reply   
Your right Mike. I guess I'm just saying I wouldn't be to happy if my wake was that small.
I need all the help I can get.

Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-04-2006, 10:39 PM Reply   
Oh well I tried. I can tell you from owning one that it is NOT ankel high I have never had anyone that was behind my boat say wow that wake is small!

All of the pictures are with the small 700lbs stock ballast. When I want my wake bigger I will put a full size fat sac on both sides of the engine and one up front.

What Dylan Smith should take away from this is take a demo ride and get behind the boat because all the wakes are different, and as you can see from this thread people have different likes and needs.

Walt any time you are in St Louis give me a ring I will hook you up with a ride!

To be fare I would not say that the Cyclone is the best wake in the Centurion line that would go to the Enzo or Avalance. For me I am a barefooter that likes to wakeboard so my first needs are barefoot wake and top speed then a wakeboard wake. The Cyclone is smaller and faster than the Avalanche so the Cyclone suits my needs.....that is what counts.

(Message edited by krbaugh on May 04, 2006)
Old    walt            05-05-2006, 4:44 AM Reply   
Kevin,
Thanks for the offer and if your ever out this way I'd do the same for you. I know a few guys that foot out here too that I could hook you up with.

I'm sure it sounds like I was bashing the boat but My intention was to offer a different perspective. For Me the wake size and shape is very important but I realize that we all have different needs and likes.

Dylan,
Kevin offers sound advice about doing a demo and it's really the only way to find out if any one boat is for you. Good luck with Your boat search.
Old     (mars)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-05-2006, 5:14 AM Reply   
Thrid try for pic, sorry.
Our spotter could only clean the wake a little by moving around as she is somewhat petite.

Upload
Old    r3612            05-05-2006, 8:52 AM Reply   
Well just so you guys know I posted that hird pic so I could get a reaction from everyone(devils advocate thing) and VIOLLLA SO FUNNY

That third wake pic (the one where everyone is drawing lines) is of an 05 x-2 with factory tanks filled and extra 200lbs on each side of the engine and 200 in the nose with 3people in the boat!

What up now mike??????Lets here it

DON"T BELIEVE ME Look closely at the wakes of the first 2 and then look at the third Totally different shape and rooster........................I love it when people make comments do this all the time HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA just goes to show ya what this board is all about

Look at very first pic attatched to the boat. He's 6'2 and riding up the wake.. his back knee is still below the peak HMMMMMMMMMMMMM

I"m not saying the X-2 wake is small its more rampy so the pic is deceiving for sure. kicks yo aboutthe same only the x-2 floats you more than pos you much smoother tranny where as the Cyclone bucks you a little more

I love wakeworld!!!!!!!

(Message edited by r3612 on May 05, 2006)

Old     (scottyb)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-05-2006, 8:59 AM Reply   
That is hilarious!!!
Old    r3612            05-05-2006, 9:01 AM Reply   
Mars what model is that.....NEVER seen a centurion wake look like that on the passenger side....You have a hydraulic plate or manula one......The side that everyone is refering too more often than not is driver side.......What type of weight config you running.

From piping and what not it looks like 05 or 06 model but can't make out which one
Old    r3612            05-05-2006, 9:08 AM Reply   
Scott jsut goes to show you...I do this occasionally to spark it up a bit.....Just tired of all the bashing all the time ANd you wouldn't believe the responses

Had a few next to supra wakes and bu wakes wow that got peoples upset

For the record the speed is idebntical as that is what most of people I ride with ride at as is line length..PP's gps calibrated as well

Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-05-2006, 9:13 AM Reply   
KRIS YOU ARE THE MAN!

You got us all.....I guess those pictures can be deceiving after all Walt.

Like they say on the thats 70's show GREAT BURN!

Old    walt            05-05-2006, 9:43 AM Reply   
Kris,
That sounds like a desperate act to Me but what ever that wake is it looks like crap and it might be a good idea to find out how to weight it right. If it is a MC there are several people on here that can tell you how to do it right.

All the 04 X-2's that I've rode behind have been weighted right and look nothing like that pic.
I have no idea what the wake looks like on a X-2 when weighted wrong all the guys that I ride with have it dialed.

I've seen I/O wakes that look better than that and I don't care what kind of boat it is !

I'd have to say that last pic is very unflattering too ! Like I said before I'd love to take a ride in a Centurion and see for Myself because it is unfair to just judge by a photo alone.

If you'd like to see a pic of a properly weighted MC let Me know and I could probably find one for you.

I'd love to see a photo of a properly weighted Centurion too and I've asked Kevin to post one in the past but never got a response.

I say put up or shut up !
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-05-2006, 9:45 AM Reply   
Nice Kris.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-05-2006, 9:54 AM Reply   
Oh come on Walt you got to admit that is pretty funny! It should at least make you think
Old     (mars)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-05-2006, 9:56 AM Reply   
Kris: Nice.
You're probably not used to seeing the wake with as little weight as I was running that day. Also only running about 20-21mph. Mine's an 05 with an 06 hull number. Manual wake plate. Pic was taken last season in about 17ft of water. With tweaking/weight I can get the wake cleaner with less wash. I ride goofy so my pass side is my heel side wake so I am pretty aware of what affects it.
Old    walt            05-05-2006, 10:02 AM Reply   
Kevin,

Hell Yes it's funny and I could kick Myself because I noticed a big difference between the second and third pic. Side note...I'm not sure why he posted the first pic because it looks like dog flying (see Leo) through the air and you can't really see the wake.
Old    walt            05-05-2006, 10:09 AM Reply   
Hey Kris,

(just goes to show ya what this board is all about.)

What do you mean by that ? I'm just wondering and don't want to read anything into it that you didn't mean.

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-05-2006, 10:33 AM Reply   
Whoever weighted that X2 needs to start over. no good.

Here's mine:

Upload
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-05-2006, 10:50 AM Reply   
Kris,sorry bro but I don't believe you!!You can take any pic and say that this wake pic is this boat and so on and so on.

If you ask me,all the pics posted above have terrible wakes except the last one posted by j.

By Walt (walt) on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 10:09 am:

quote:

Hey Kris,

(just goes to show ya what this board is all about.)

What do you mean by that ?

yeah what did you mean??

Old     (peterc4)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-05-2006, 11:04 AM Reply   
This is on our 05 Elite V C4. Empty ballast, no extra weight at all. The wake is different on each side I assume due to weight of me (260lbs) and nothing on the other side to counter?

Upload
Old    walt            05-05-2006, 12:40 PM Reply   
Peter,
Buy a few pop bags so you can move them around to even out your wake.
Old    mendo247            05-05-2006, 1:14 PM Reply   
i would hope you guys would have something better to do than post pics of wakes and lie about the type of boat to prove a pointless point..... regardless the wakes need help no matter what brand or hull...
Old     (wakeboarder3922)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-05-2006, 1:54 PM Reply   
Peter, you may have changed the heelside wake a bit. But Centurions are or were known for having a little white wash on the TS (your HS). I do not know why, but if you adjust the trim tab it will clean up. And for Dylan, the Centurion wake is huge even though it is a small boat. Just add one extra bag and DAMN
Upload
Old    r3612            05-05-2006, 2:42 PM Reply   
What I meant by that is everyone just judges a boat by the brand.......Most people have never even been in boats............No matter what people are always going to push the boats they own with no logical facts behind it (hey I like mine too) but will def tell you the down falls and bonuses not your boat sucks buy a centurion if you want to be a pro...everything else sucks.

As to proof to back that X-2 pic up...Ask the guy who took the pic and aske anyone who's rode behind his ride...Name is John Jared (posts regularly here) and I"m sure big ed knows him....very well known here in the midwest. Everyone is always getting pulls behind his boat. Pulls most events here and believe me he knows how to weight his boat..Trust me! ASK ANYONE. been the MC guy here for a while and everyone is always itching to geta pull behind his ride.

I'm just so tired of peopel who own a different boat bashing the others with no facts to back it up. Half the people on here hjave never even been behind the boats the talk about its mostly all hype. PROOF IS IN THE PIC and already people are with the ........ he doesn't know how to weight it.....dude that not the pic IT CAN"T BE WELL IT IS!!!!!

And being behind one ONCE FOR A DEMO OR A CONTES OR A SESSION DOESN"T EVEN COME CLOSE. The boat could have been weighted wrong or the dealer had no clue how to set it up. Believe me I"ve seen it all too many times as well as experienced it. I"m fortunte enough to ride with a group whom pretty much everyone owns a different model boat so spend some time in em.

Not bashing the site here at all....Alot of good info...but always those people who just gotta say everything else scks unless you buy this....Don'teven think about getting that boat cuz it sucks........Well why does it suck? Have you been in one? do you own one......Not just buy this its the best..

Like I said only reason I post that pic is to get peopel thinking and stir up some controversy. Just to get solid facts abnd points of view out in the open. SO non offense to anyone just plain fact
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-05-2006, 3:03 PM Reply   
Kris,I'm having a little trouble reading your post but I assure you if that was John Jared's 05 X2,he needs to weigh it differently and he can e-mail me for this info.

If that is the X2 wake,I couldn't imagine majority liking this wake!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-05-2006, 3:09 PM Reply   
Seriously Kris.... I've got a '05 X2 also and the wake looks nothing like that. It's big and meaty just like the pic by Jarrod. If someone showed up to pull a tourney with a wake like that they'd be laughed out of town by the outlaw riders. Maybe you had him drain the ballast before you rode or somthing because even before we load the water into our boats our wake is twice that size with the lead we run alone. What's also important to mention is boat speed. The one from Jarrods boat is at around 25mph. If you slowed down to 21 or 22 the wake would be absolutely huge and most likely un-rideable.

Whatever.... Like Walt said: prove me wrong. I don't have anything against Centurions and I have little experience. A buddy of mine has one and we ride it at 22 around 70' because the wake absolutely disappears back further and faster.

Old    r3612            05-05-2006, 5:02 PM Reply   
Back to the original question.............

Both boats are very very similar in ride and comfort.

The biggest bonus of the TGE IMO is the fact that you can really adjust the wake shape to fit a variety of riders. Make s the newbies not so afraid to hit that brick wall. Huge advantage for families or people who ride with a variety of ability levels on their boat.
Another plus that stands out it Tige swim platform.......That thing is HUMONGO....Really like that.

What stands out on the Centurion to me was the wake shape....Just had a little more transition and a little more vert REally liked that. Also the tower on the centurions was much better IMO. You could easily add extra racks . Can be done on Tige as well but to me they aren't as sturdy. Like having the two clamps on the tower legs vs the one you'd have on the Tige.... Also the Tige dealer was piss poor here. Nobody ever had good things to say. Tho most loved their boats.

These were the two boats I was considering along with a Launch (d-drive).

WAs hard choice after I got past the Launch....V-drive was just the way to go although the d-drive wake was a machine on that boat.
Well in the end you know what we chose, but both boats were very very very similar
Old    walt            05-05-2006, 6:10 PM Reply   
Kris,

Two of the guys that just posted here had centurions and sold them for boats with better wakes.
Another person that just posted here actually sold Centurions and is a current wakeboard instructor and makes a living telling people how to ride and set up a wake boat. My point is they know plenty about these boats.

I don't recall reading anyone suggesting buying another brand either or even bashing this brand.

You posted pics and asked for feedback and that's what you got so don't cry when you get it.
I don't see one legit gripe in your post just a bunch of BS and bad spelling.

Dylan,
My apologies for getting this thread off topic.
Old    r3612            05-06-2006, 7:11 PM Reply   
Sorry didn't realize my 4th grade teacher was on here

This spelled ok for you

I'm not the one griping at all...
Old    walt            05-06-2006, 7:20 PM Reply   
You get a A+ on spelling and a F on punctuation.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-06-2006, 9:51 PM Reply   
I'll suggest it,buy another brand.

*sayin stuff you wish ya could*
Old    r3612            05-07-2006, 6:07 PM Reply   
hahahahahahahah :-)

You said nothing about punctuation :-):-):-):-):-):
Old    walt            05-07-2006, 7:06 PM Reply   
Fair enough.