Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2003

Old    upupnaway            08-22-2003, 6:06 AM Reply   
It was the end of the night, and I decided to try a raley. turned out to be a 911 attempt on the first try, and on the second, well, this is what happens when you pull your arms in on take-off!
on a bright note, the raley seems quite easy.... I am gonna try it during the day.
http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=8625
Old    lakesideluver            08-22-2003, 7:03 AM Reply   
thats awesome you even tried it mike, that is the one trick that makes me want to curl into a little ball....you and liz ever gonna make it to madison to hit the slider?
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       08-22-2003, 7:54 AM Reply   
Ouchhhh. Looks like a ball smacker!! Props for going for it!!
Old    blind5            08-22-2003, 9:32 AM Reply   
so you dont want to do a 911? ok just keep your eyes on the tower, keep um all the way down the line on the place were you put your line on. keep your eyes there and pull it back in with your eyes STILL ON THE TOWER. the first raley i tried i did an s-bend, the second i did more of a backroll to back flop, and the third one i tried with my eyes on the tower because the legendary mike ferraro told me to, and i stuck it
Old     (board4food1)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-22-2003, 11:59 AM Reply   
Rob is right!! Keep your eyes fixed on the boat... not your landing spot.
Old    upupnaway            08-24-2003, 8:46 PM Reply   
I may take you up on that mike....Gotta try it before summer is out. We picked up a fat sac and seat, so we can bust the sliders for a while and then I can entertain you with some spectacular crashes.

I think mistake #1 in this whole procedure was making my first attempt at night. I was looking at the boat(or at least that general direction), I just need a few more tries.
Old     (ladyboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-25-2003, 1:54 PM Reply   
#1. The tantrum looked pretty nice, may want to wait just a bit more before throwing it.
#2. Looks more like you stargazed at the last minute, not a 911. You need more weight on your front foot.
#3. Hate to say it, but your edge is pretty bad. It was dark though and couldn't see anything. You are doing the complete opposite of what a raley edge is. Its nothing more than a really, really progressive edge. Cut out just like you did, only don't lay on edge so fast, it chews up all your speed. Get on edge slowly and pull your arms in as you get closer to the wake. At the base of the wake you should be at about a 7 edge on a scale of 1 (no edge) to 10 (screaming) with the handle as close to the hip as you can possibly get it. The closer it is, the easier the raley is. Don't try to throw your feet behind you, it should do it on its own when you leave the wake. If you have edged correctly, your feet will shoot out behind you and snap right back in, just bend your knees. As soon as you leave the wake, look straight down the rope to the tower. When you start coming back in, look at the tree tops in front of you. Most of all you want to keep your head and chest up, this will help you bring it down easier. Keep a good bit of weight on your front foot and the handle centered between your shoulders and you should stay straight.
Trust me, this method works, I have done many, many of them this way on the wakeskate and it works flawlessly, I'm just too much of a weenie to put a board on and do it.
Hope this helps and be careful, people don't realize how dangerous raleys can be.
Later
Tiffany
www.wakechicks.com