Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 28, 2009

Old     (oddos2525)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-06-2009, 5:07 PM Reply   
I have a kicker zx750 power 2 nvs entities. This is my second season with it. Everything has been working fine and all of the sudden i'm getting no green light for power. The red problem light will come in and out. We checked everything. Fuses, wire connections, everything we could think of. I did find the wiring harness had a very little bit of corrosion on it. But that is all I found. If anyone can help me out it would be great. I'm on vacation this week and no tower speakers is no good. Thanks.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-06-2009, 6:17 PM Reply   
Does it smell like anything got fried? Cuz thats what it sounds like.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-06-2009, 7:14 PM Reply   
If it has corrosion, it probably got wet. Game over for the amp.

Several things you can try:
Get another signal. It's possible that the head unit isn't putting out anything through the rca's.
Change the RCA's.
Make sure there's 12V constant, 12V remote turn-on, and a good ground.
Grab a speaker that's laying around and connect it directly to the speaker output terminals of the amp (without the NVS's connected). If the speaker works, there's a problem from the amps speaker wires to teh speakers.
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-07-2009, 7:31 AM Reply   
John-

Disconnect the speakers first as already suggested. This will either point to a cause, or eliminate a cause. If the amp then starts acting normal, you want to start snooping your speakers and their wiring for shorts, or abrasion where the wiring is grounded somewhere.

If disconnecting the speakers does not cause the amp to go green, turn the stereo on and measure the voltage at the amp power terminals. It needs to be at least 10.5 volts to even turn on, and to run reliably, you need to measure very close to a solid 12 volts. If you measure less than ideal, you need to check every connection on your power wiring. You also need to measure voltage at the battery to see if you have good solid voltage there too.

DO those steps and get back to us.

Phil
Kicker
Old     (oddos2525)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-07-2009, 8:30 AM Reply   
thanks guys ill get back to you soon
Old     (oddos2525)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-07-2009, 1:09 PM Reply   
Phil,

We checked everything you said. The voltage is fine. All the connections are good. What should the resistance be on the output of the amp? Do you measure that when it is on or off? Also, I noticed since this all happened that when I change a channel or even hit the stereo power switch off on my dash I'm getting a good pop out of the internal speakers. But still only getting the red protection mode and that is fading in and out. Its actually completely off more than on. I don't know if you can pin point something from this, but its all I got.
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-07-2009, 1:15 PM Reply   
You do not measure resistance at the amp, not as a reliable indicator.

You can measure the speakers and their wire by setting your meter to ohms and measuring one lead on each wire, but not the amp. You did get speakers disconnected, right? Still bad?

You probably want to send the amp in, unfortunately. Call toll free 800.256.0808 and ask for Customer Service for a return repair RMA number.

Hopefully you find something obvious before sending it in, but it sort of sounds not like it. Don't worry if you have to send it in; the repair guys are real good!

Phil
Kicker.
Old     (thesack)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-08-2009, 10:32 AM Reply   
When you disconnected the speakers, did you disconnect them from the speakers themselves or the amp?

If there is a short in the speaker wire if you just disconnected them from the speakers, the wire in the tower could still be shorting out someplace.

If by some chance you do have to send your amp into Kicker for repair, like Phil said dont worry. Those guys do a good job and are good to work with. Had to send an amp back a couple years ago a few days after installing it that wouldnt come out of protection mode.