Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 16, 2005

Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       04-15-2005, 7:33 PM Reply   
Here's a story that I'm glad isn't any worse than it already is... As we were cleaning up, after our afternoon ride, we noticed a boat quickly cruising through the "no wake" zone, to the dock, holding their tower onboard! Thinking that these guys had just ran into some bad luck, I went to see if I could lend a helping hand. I originally thought their tower had broke, but I was wrong. As it turns out, they did run into some bad luck... Or, I guess it should be told as, some bad luck ran into them. While stopping to pick up a downed rider, another boat turned, ran into, and over, their boat. It's truley amazing that, other than a few little cuts, no one was hurt, or killed. Luckily, someone in their crew noticed what was about to happen, and was able to help his friends from getting very seriously hurt. Scott, you guys are SO lucky... Sorry to hear about your boat.

-Blake

Here are some pics of the boat...

Can you see what that duck is standing on? That's the remains of their tower.

You can't really tell, but these girls were pretty shook up over this... I heard one girl say, "I'm about to puke" and decided it was a kodak moment .

(Message edited by blake_hughes on April 15, 2005)
Old    walt            04-15-2005, 7:45 PM Reply   
Thats scary but I'm glad to hear everyone is ok.
Old     (nlitworld)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-15-2005, 7:45 PM Reply   
Holy crap. I've heard stories of this happening like on Unsolved Mysteries, but it's usually accompanied with the tale of the prop slashing across someones face. What did the people do that were in the other boat that caused the accident? Did they drive away or stay to check on everybody? All in all, the people involved are VERY VERY LUCKY to say the least. Glad to hear nobody else was hurt.
Old    lance_ss            04-15-2005, 7:46 PM Reply   
that sucks so bad..glad everyone was okay tho...
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-15-2005, 7:46 PM Reply   
So did the other boat stop or what? WTF?
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       04-15-2005, 7:48 PM Reply   
Thats rotten luck. Glad nobody was seriously injured.

-Steve

/Thst duck cracks me up. Great pic Blake.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-15-2005, 7:55 PM Reply   
That's not that insurance duck is it?
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       04-15-2005, 8:06 PM Reply   
Damn, you just can't get away from AFLAC, can you?

The other boat did come to the dock, but I don't know if they had to be persuaded, or not? Once I hear from Scott, one of us will fill you in.

-Blake
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-15-2005, 8:34 PM Reply   

quote:

That's not that insurance duck is it?

bahhaahahha!

Good to see everyone was ok.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-15-2005, 11:02 PM Reply   
The other boat as a white over black MC X Series. I didn't see the hull but they went back out on the lake, possibly to just check to see if the boat was running okay. From what the boat owner said, he was in the water (not sure if he was getting in or out) and the other driver was looking back at his wakeboarder and just didn't see them until it was too late and then apparently froze. The girls were complaining of some pain and they had some glass cuts, but minor injuries considering how much damager there was to the boat.

Blake - I thought I saw you out there wakeboarding while we were wakesurfing.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       04-15-2005, 11:38 PM Reply   
Wow... that's crazy. Thankfully everyone is relatively okay considering.
Old     (piranha)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-16-2005, 12:23 AM Reply   
Damn that's crazy.

Old     (mimafour)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-16-2005, 8:12 AM Reply   
glad to here no one was hurt seriously.
a few years back at one of our local lakes, a jet ski hit a boat and parked the jet ski in the bow of the boat. killed a five year old and injured 2 adults.
you folks that were in that boat are beyond lucky.
some one from above was watching out for you.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-16-2005, 10:18 AM Reply   
Wow, that's nuts! Glad to see everybody is alright. I can't imagine how long you have to be staring at the rider for this to happen, especially with a boat that's stopped. Scary stuff!
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       04-16-2005, 11:15 AM Reply   
Things like this scrae me to death. You really always need to be paying attention when you are on the water. They are so lucky it could have ended up alot worse
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       04-16-2005, 11:15 AM Reply   
Man... I wish I was there to see all that madness!!!
So what up wIth the other boat? Where they fined?
Charged with anything? Hope they at least had ins.
Glad to see no one got seriously hurt.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-16-2005, 12:46 PM Reply   
was joe driving the mc ????
Old     (bear)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-16-2005, 6:23 PM Reply   
Hey Blake thank god it wasn't us! I'm not sure what I would have done if they hit my boat! I quess we got off the lake at the right time. Just glad everyones ok.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-16-2005, 7:20 PM Reply   
Mike,
was joe driving the mc ????

Now thats funny!!!

Old     (tyler_o)      Join Date: Nov 2004       04-16-2005, 8:33 PM Reply   
geez I missed all the excitement! I was out there till about 10am.

Goes to show how important having a focused driver is.

(Message edited by tyler_o on April 16, 2005)
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-16-2005, 10:08 PM Reply   
eric,

thanks for picking up on that one...
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-16-2005, 11:10 PM Reply   
The other boat was relatively new - 2003? - anyway it's the older X Star hull with X Series graphics. The owner of the boat that was hit said that he had full coverage and the other boat was insured also. He said that the driver of the MC was given a sobriety test and apparently passed. I don't know if he was cited or not, but he should be cited for negligence at a minimum.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-17-2005, 8:05 AM Reply   
I was pretty surprised at seeing the boat cruising in. As we were walking down to the ramp, the two girls that were on the boat were really shaken, and were telling the staff that they were cut up from broken glass. As I got closer to the boat, it became apparent that the mechanism that caused this was pretty crazy. After hearing the story, I keep running the picture through my mind, and can't believe how absolutely lucky everyone was. One of the guys on the boat told me that he had put his hands up pretty much against the hull of the boat as it passed over. One of them said he thought he was going to get squashed against the side of the interior. They said they barely had time to duck and hit the floor. Man, I can't imagine. I kept thinking "that could have been us" or my new boat (Aaaahhhhh!) Yea, then there would have been at least one serious injury! This is the first incident like this I have seen in the 4-plus years I have been going to San V, and I really hope it opens everyone's eyes just how fast this type of thing can happen.

Scott, best of luck to you and your crew. REALLY glad no one was injured any worse.

I was Elsie yesterday at a demo day, and one of the customets on my boat told me he had a friend killed at the river a while back. Apparently they were in a no-wake area, I believe approaching a landing or docking area, and a big hot rod boat came flying in, and t-boned them at speed. Don't know any other details, but really hate to hear about these things!

I know I said it before, but man!! you guys were really lucky!

I know one of the rangers that was there, and if I hear more, I will post it. Bill J said the driver passed the FCT, so that is good, at least.

Let's all be safe out there!!
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       04-17-2005, 4:08 PM Reply   
I think I am going to buy one of those stadium style fog horns!!!

(Message edited by Big x-star on April 17, 2005)
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-17-2005, 4:33 PM Reply   
I was thinking more along the lines of an RPG!
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-17-2005, 5:50 PM Reply   
How about a blowhorn!?!That's what I wanna get,plus there is more uses for it.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-17-2005, 6:14 PM Reply   
"I think I am going to buy one of those stadium style fog horns!!! "

no doubt. This is nuts. The part about hitting the floor and the boat passing over gave me the chills. You guys are SOOO lucky no one was killed. I still don't understand how no one was.
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       04-21-2005, 6:48 PM Reply   
Just a long shot...but this isn't the same "black x-star" that caused the big fight last year?
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-21-2005, 7:10 PM Reply   
That was an X-9 that caused all the fuss.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-21-2005, 9:11 PM Reply   
Stanfield,

I don't think so. I was there last year, and the guys I saw on this boat did not look even close to the ones from the other incident. Man, that would mean something if it was!
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-25-2005, 8:37 PM Reply   
NOTE TO DRIVERS- just look forward please (and your rider will appreciate it since you will be able to keep a straighter line)

Wouldn't the tracking fins have caused more damage and sliced through some stuff? Don't get me wrong, thankfully they didn't, I'm just suprised.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-25-2005, 8:46 PM Reply   
From what I could tell from the damage, and what the occupants said, the boat did go up the stern and down off of the driver's side. You can see the windshield was flattened. Also, one of the occupants said he pretty much put his hands up to the side of the hull as it passed by. I am just guessing that maybe less than half of the width of the boat actually came over the top.

Scarry Shizz either way you look at it!!!