Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-11-2012, 9:32 PM Reply   
So I'm buying a boat in the next few days, and I have narrowed it down to a 2005 Wakesetter or a 2006 v-ride. Both in excellent shape and the price is within a couple hundred dollars. Can anyone explain the main differences or what would be a better buy?

PS: there is also a 2008 moomba outback v that is a few grand cheaper than these two, also in great shape. If the moomba is pretty comparable and I can save about 5k, then I'll probably do that.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-11-2012, 9:49 PM Reply   
05 wakesetter is a VLX? the 21'6" boat? If so, go with the 05 VLX, the 06 v-ride is the old (pre 05 VLX) hull. great boat still, but it is a lot smaller inside. They both have great wakes that are similar, but in my experience, the 05 vlx handles a lot better, turns nicer with and without weight, has better interior space and layout and more storage, wider boat, and I think a better wake.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-11-2012, 9:55 PM Reply   
Johnny is right... if the price is that close, VLX all the way.

'05 VLX > '06 V-Ride > '08 Outback V
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-11-2012, 10:10 PM Reply   
OK I'll just shoot some links to each boat. Prices are before any type of negotiation.

http://www.actionwatersportsaz.com/s...=DESC&page=2&#

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/boa/2937814384.html

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/boa/2913026362.html
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-11-2012, 10:11 PM Reply   
BTW I really want a spacious interior
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-11-2012, 11:10 PM Reply   
First time you cross a wake everyone in your VLX will be much happier than they would have been in the V-ride. It's a better hull for handling and chop. The Moomba isn't there and should be cheaper.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-11-2012, 11:18 PM Reply   
05 vlx for sure now that you linked the adds. better motor, better hull, better interior, more space... good price
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-11-2012, 11:48 PM Reply   
VLX, simply for the interior room. That extra 1 1/2 feet are 1 foot in the main seating area, and 1/2 foot in the open bow seating area. Its actually a pretty big deal when you start piling people in there and want them to feel comfortable. Also, I would imagine the only reason you're considering the V-Ride is because its a year newer. That won't matter in 5 years. As long as the VLX and V-Ride are in equal condition, go with the VLX, you'll feel better in the long run.

The newer Moomba might be a good choice, but I would say only if it was in pristine condition when you inspect it, and with considerable fewer hours.

Also, I love that rare Batwing tower.
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-12-2012, 12:05 AM Reply   
Yeah I figured the VLX would be the way to go. The only problem is that its at a dealership so they want tax and all the extras. I'll have to see if they can get me OTD @ 35k because that's the max I can spend right now. (my budget was under 30k but I squeezed it as much as i could).
Old     (chrisbucklin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-12-2012, 2:05 AM Reply   
where u from? i have a 04 nautique 210 te,that u could get for under 30,000...its a great boat just need bigger.
Old     (BorderBoarder)      Join Date: Jul 2011       04-12-2012, 4:19 AM Reply   
Congrats on your soon to be new boat. Two observations though which I could be wrong on both counts so you might do your own research.
The tower on the VLX looks to be the carbon fiber? tower that iirc had some problems. The V-ride in that picture appears to be newer than '06, unless someone changed the graphics which is very possible. My 06 Vride came with a tribal graphic as I believe most did. Either way Malibu makes a great boat, personally I would take either over the Moomba.
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-12-2012, 7:51 AM Reply   
Chris, I'm in AZ but I'm not scared to drive for the right deal. I really dont want to go cross country unless its a smoking deal though. Is the 04 the same as the 01 or 02?

Thanks for the info boarder, I'll look into the tower on the VLX. What problems did they have? I'm not sure I would trust a full carbon fiber tower.....

I know the V-ride is an 06, the guy gave me the hull number and I verified it.\

If anyone else notices anything I should look out for I would gladly appreciate it.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-12-2012, 8:32 AM Reply   
Malibu warrenteed all those CF towers. I never heard details on any failures, but the fact that they offered free replacements to everyone would make me leery of it..... especially if you or your friends are big, powerful riders who don't let go of the handle easily.

The Hammerhead had a history too. Again, not aware of specific failures, but there was issues with oil consumption early on. The Monsoon is Malibu/Indmar's most successful & trouble free motor ever.

I have the Vride & don't notice people complaining behind it much. I'm not aware of the driving difference though & I drive them both occasionally. The VLX is like 6" longer & 6" wider, which makes some difference in the interior space. Plus the VLX has a bow ballast tank, which allows you to tune your surf wake a bit easier.

Last edited by bill_airjunky; 04-12-2012 at 8:38 AM.
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-12-2012, 8:35 AM Reply   
I'm 6'3" and afraid to say how much I weigh, but when I cut out really hard I can rock the boat pretty good...................and that scares me with the carbon tower
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-12-2012, 8:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf1985 View Post
Chris, I'm in AZ but I'm not scared to drive for the right deal. I really dont want to go cross country unless its a smoking deal though. Is the 04 the same as the 01 or 02?

Thanks for the info boarder, I'll look into the tower on the VLX. What problems did they have? I'm not sure I would trust a full carbon fiber tower.....

I know the V-ride is an 06, the guy gave me the hull number and I verified it.\

If anyone else notices anything I should look out for I would gladly appreciate it.
As a former Moomba owner - it's not in the league of the Malibus. Great boat, no question - but nothing on the Bu's.

The VLX and V-Ride both LOOK fantastic. Both have updated graphics (although the DC decal is a bit much for me). The tower on the VLX has had issues - I would talk to the dealer selling the boat and see if that free replacement warranty still exists. If it does - I'd go with the VLX all day, especially at that price with those hours and that motor. If the dealer or Malibu corporate doesn't warranty that tower still - then you have to gut check what you want to do. The tower I believe cracked at the lower legs under extreme pressure. Being that the boat is 7 years old and it hasn't cracked yet - it may have a strong one.

A new tower will run you rouhgly $2k out of pocket if it's not warrantied and it happens to crack in the future. In my opinion - that VLX is worth $2k more than the V-Ride anyways, so even then you'd still be flush.

I'd find out the warranty issue - tell the dealer you want it at $35k OTD all inclusive and enjoy.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-12-2012, 8:55 AM Reply   
That would be a sick VLX minus the tower. Like Bill I am not sure what the exact problems are but I would consider the potential of adding a new tower in the future. A new tower is going to be anywhere from 1500-5000 depending on which way you go and maybe even more for the newest malibu tower which should fit on there. This boat looks to have the 4 tank ballast which stock throws a great wake with teh wedge down. Add a couple thousand pounds of water weight and skip the wedge and it is amazing.

That Vride looks beautiful and loaded but is a smaller boat. I am not sure the wake will hold you back at all. With weight they throw a great wake from everythign I have heard although it might be rampier then a lot of wakes. This boat looks loaded other then it doesn't appear to have the rear ballast. You will have to pay to plumb rear sacs or deal with manually filling sacks. You may also need to figure out weight for the front if you use rear ballast.

I am not a huge fan of the Outback V in 2008 prior(at least not for over 30 grand).

I think I would lean towards the VLX knowing that I would swap the tower imediatley. I am not sure if Malibu can do anything for you since you wouldn't be the original owner but I would see if they will help you out with swapping to a different tower. My choice for a replacement woudl be the Titan 3 or even the titan 2(star one) if you can get those, a Samson razor or the new samson rear facing tower. The Samson razor is 3500-4000 I think but includes swivel racks. The star one(titan 2) is probably 1500-1800 but you would have to add racks.
Old     (chrisbucklin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-12-2012, 9:18 AM Reply   
Raf1985...Well I haven't seen one on craigs list anywhere for close to this price. I don't no if its the same,I'm sure its better. Ballast,perfect pass,fat sacks,tower,full sound system board racks,cover.....its ready to go. If u want to no more can give u my # and send u pics.
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-12-2012, 3:18 PM Reply   
Sweet I'm still shopping around so send me some pics and info to rfvtgb55@hotmail.com and we'll see what we can do.

I went and looked at both of the malibu's today, the VLX is trashed. The interior is in horrible shape and all of the speakers are rotten out and the tower is sketchy looking with lots of sun fade. So for 35k this one is out. Those pics are deceiving.

The V-ride is about as clean as they get, basically brand new looking. I really liked it and the space wasnt too bad.

I also checked out a 2005 centurion typhoon for 34k but it was in pretty rough conditions and not very well taken care of. The same dealer also had an extremely clean 2001 SANTE with the PCM python. Very nice boat but a little small on the inside. That one was priced at 33k OTD.

So far the V-ride has my vote but I'm still going to look around.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-12-2012, 3:31 PM Reply   
Much better priced early 2000's SAN
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/boa/2947591623.html

much better hull(bigger and deeper) Moomba then the outback v
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/boa/2946861186.html

Another good hull moomba LSV
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/boa/2946344527.html
Old     (travisz)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-12-2012, 4:40 PM Reply   
Raf,
I will start off by saying I bought an 06 V-Ride in 2010 that had 90 hours on it, the boat looked brand new inside and out.... And I still have the boat and it is amazing!!! I love everything about it, from the ride, the wake the tower, the bimini, the seating, the storage... not one this is bad about that boat and hull... Ask any decent boarder and they will all agree that, that hull is one of Malibus best...
BUT! beware if that V-Ride has lower hours, get it serviced asap... like I said I bought mine with 90 hours on it. 3 months after I bought it, my engine hit 198 hours and every seal on the engine blew apart... blowing gasket and water inside the engine... my showroom condition boat was dead... 3500 dollars later to repair the damage... The local dealer said that the boat sat for so long with suck little use.. that all the seals rotted out and when I used the boat, as it was meant to be used.. the seals could not take it any more... Other than that one issue, The V-Ride is an amazing boat and you will be happy..

Happy boating and good luck.
Trav
Old     (travisz)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-12-2012, 4:42 PM Reply   
BTW......Im a moron and misread the V-Ride add... I thought it said 43 hours... OUPS my bad
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-12-2012, 4:50 PM Reply   
Brett: Saw all those but for the price I would rather have the malibu I think. That SAN is now at a dealership and they jacked the price up to 26k because there was a lot wrong with it. I am still going to check out the last LSV you posted but he will have to move on the price a bit.

Travis: The boat was just serviced by a malibu tech and does not have that low of hours....... I know better than to buy a boat that has been sitting for a while. Looks like this one is up to par with the year/hours ratio.
Old     (travisz)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-12-2012, 4:56 PM Reply   
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...-V-Ride-274381

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...ride-101696058

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...-V-Ride-238961

Just some ideas
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-12-2012, 5:06 PM Reply   
Those are nice but if you compare apples to apples, I would have to drive to get those, the hours are scary low, and they dont have as good of a sound system. I dont mind driving to get a boat, but after calling on the 05 vlx and them telling me it was in mint condition, I'm kinda scared to drive to another state to find out its really not in that great of conditions. If I could get those for a few grand less than the local one, I would go for it. I'm pretty sure I can get the guy to go down to 33k on the local 06 ride.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-12-2012, 7:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
Much better priced early 2000's SAN
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/boa/2947591623.html

much better hull(bigger and deeper) Moomba then the outback v
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/boa/2946861186.html

Another good hull moomba LSV
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/boa/2946344527.html
Would be a little concerned about that first listing --- I have a 2002 SAN, and let's just say, that's not a 2002 SAN. A little concerning when the boat owner doesn't know the year of his boat.
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-12-2012, 7:06 PM Reply   
^^plus that SAN is clapped out. Not maintained at all. My 1989 ski challenger is in better shape.........
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-12-2012, 7:15 PM Reply   
Also should say that we're planning/hoping to upgrade to a new 23 footer. need to sell our current boat to make it happen --- '02 SAN with ~ 300 hours. We're original owners, $31k including wetsounds sound system....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44959674@N05/sets/
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-12-2012, 7:26 PM Reply   
I wouldn't even consider the V-ride at that price. You can score an 03-04 WS VLX for mid-20's and have the same hull, so what's the point?

That 05 VLX is the way to go IMO.
Old     (BorderBoarder)      Join Date: Jul 2011       04-12-2012, 7:52 PM Reply   
IMO you should be able to take the Vride home for 30-31k otd..
Old     (monroeyd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-12-2012, 7:58 PM Reply   
Low hours on a boat aren't always bad. We bought an '06 boat in Feb of '10 with 36 hrs on it. All we've done to it is change the plugs, they were pretty fouled up, and normal maintenance. No issues and we're goin' on 300 hrs. It may be the exception and not the norm but is possible. Good luck with your purchase.
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-12-2012, 7:59 PM Reply   
Man I really love those boats and have seen quite a few that i'm tempted to jump on but the only problem is the space inside.........
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-12-2012, 8:09 PM Reply   
http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=29515

http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=32777

http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=31880
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-12-2012, 8:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrousbird View Post
I wouldn't even consider the V-ride at that price. You can score an 03-04 WS VLX for mid-20's and have the same hull, so what's the point?

That 05 VLX is the way to go IMO.
The vlx is in pretty bad shape, those pics are not recent or something.

Here in AZ people think wakesetters are gold. I can get an 03-04 WS for the same price as the 06 ride, so its a no brainer.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-12-2012, 10:18 PM Reply   
Actually >03 VLX is going to be quite a bit different than <04VLX or Vride. They changed props, engines & went to Gorilla fins in the later boats. And then floating wedge in like 07. The difference in the way they drive was huge in my book.

The "Wakesetter" thing is just a package & came in a number of different models. VLX, VTX, LSV, & XTI.... even the Vride could be purchased with all the Wakesetter stuff, ballast, Wedge, stereo, graphics, etc.............. I have one.

Take one for a test drive. Bring your board, ski or foil & tell them you need to take a ride behind it. Some guys won't do it, but I test rode a few of them to make sure I got what I wanted.
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-13-2012, 8:01 PM Reply   
Check out what just popped up on craigslist. Any opinions on this one vs the other ones I was checking out?

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/boa/2956984441.html
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-14-2012, 8:47 PM Reply   
Checked out the supra, I liked it a LOT more than any other boat I've seen yet. The price is right too....... I think we have a winner.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-15-2012, 6:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf1985 View Post
Checked out the supra, I liked it a LOT more than any other boat I've seen yet. The price is right too....... I think we have a winner.
Interesting. Explain.
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-15-2012, 7:05 PM Reply   
The malibu looks a lot cooler and more aggressive in my opinion, but the supra is much deeper inside and the seats are taller. It has the bench that slides forward in the back and lots more storage room under the seats. I also like the playpen bow arrangement a lot. The hull on the supra just looks massive and seems like it will put out a killer wake with minimal weight, plus it has 3 ballasts vs 1 in the malibu. Overall it seems like the v-ride is a more entry level boat with minimal features, and the supra is more decked out. Plus the supra books at 2k more than the v-ride, and I'm paying 2k less for it.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-15-2012, 8:21 PM Reply   
Personally I'm a fan of a low hour boat. One of the ones that Travis posted up is in my neck of the woods and my best friend is the pro shop manager at the place selling it. If you were to call them and ask for Shawn, he will give you a no BS answer on the condition of the boat, take pics/video or whatever you need. There is a reason that their shop is the only one left in our little town, they are simply good people.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...ride-101696058

Sorry for the shameless plug, I rode with Shawn this morning and he's a good cat. Gotta help my buddy out!
Old     (travisz)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-15-2012, 8:59 PM Reply   
Raf,
Remember one thing........... What are the top 3 boat manufacturers out right now...............Where does Malibu sit and where does Supra sit...

Supra makes a great boat! but no one can compare to the craftsmanship, durability and luxury of a Malibu....Why do you think Malibu owners only but Malibu? Thats just my piece of mind, I am not trying to step on anyones toes.
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-15-2012, 11:01 PM Reply   
Well I am going to demo both the v-ride and the supra, so we'll see which one feels better overall.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-16-2012, 5:38 AM Reply   
Raf, sweet find with the Supra! That 21v hull puts out one of my favorite wakes ever. I think you'll enjoy it, definitely ride behind it if you can.