Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-06-2008, 5:29 PM Reply   
What set up are you using?

What lens were you using for the cab 3 snowboarding shot?

Sick ass pic man!
Old     (wakesurf12)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-09-2008, 1:38 AM Reply   
Wow, I was surprised to see my name as a thread. Kinda weird. haha.

Anyway, the setup is:

Nikon D200
Mamiya m645 (you guys haven't seen any photos from this being that I haven't shot film in years. Soon though, soon.)
Canon Powershot G9
Nikon 18-70 "kit" lens
Nikon 50mm 1.4
Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR
Sigma 15mm Fisheye
Mamiya 80mm 2.8
Nikon SB800
Nikon SB80
3 x Pocketwizard Plus II
Apple Aperture
Adobe Photoshop CS3 (though most of my conversions are slight levels adjustments in Aperture. I don't dive into Photoshop unless I am going to be doing things like in the Catchpenny photos.)

Thats most of it right there. I could go into detail about how many cards and stands I have but that isn't as interesting. The cab 3 shot was taken with the sigma 15mm fisheye. Its a "decent" lens. I bought it when I was shooting film but it doesn't get the 180° view on the digital body. I have told myself I am going to upgrade to the 10.5DX fisheye but then usually something else comes up that is more important to buy. Either way it has been a pretty good lens for me thus far. But if you shoot Nikon I would get the 10.5DX fisheye. Its a lot sharper and a wider angle of view.
Old     (joshturner)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-09-2008, 10:07 PM Reply   
i was going to ask about that fisheye lens but you answered my question at the end. its "decent"

i was goign to buy a 10.5 fish but just before i was goign to get it nikon announced the D3 with a full fame censor. now i have just decided to hold off for a year or so untill i upgrade, hopefully if the money is there then i can get the 16mm fish. i have heard better things about it.
wait does suck tho and i could still use it with the d3 in dx mode, but why when full rez is available.
on a scale of 1-10 how good is it? is it worht buying now or can it wait.
gimme your thoughts
Old     (bakes5)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-10-2008, 5:32 AM Reply   
I like mine a lot. If you wait you will miss out on a year of fish-eye. I say get it now and sell it if/when you go D3
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (wakesurf12)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-10-2008, 7:28 AM Reply   
Bakes is right. A year is a long time to go without it. You will get it and think. "Why didn't I get one sooner!?!"

Personally I think that the D3 is such a large investment that when you buy it there is going to be a lot of other costs there. (Mainly selling off DX lenses and buying the full frames.) So that is something to be prepared to do when you decide to go down that road. Also if/when I buy a D3 I probably am going to keep my D200 as a second body. There is nothing better than being able to shoot tele on one camera and then have immediate access to a wide/fish. I cannot think of the numerous times I have slapped my fisheye on and had to think, "time to switch my brain to fisheye mode." Its quite a commitment.

But that being said get the nikon. Its a great lens and better than the sigma. You cannot go wrong without it.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-10-2008, 7:10 PM Reply   
Awesome!

I was thinking about that sigma fisheye for my canon but i went with the canon 10-22 instead and i LOVE it!

Sick shots man! Thanks for replying!

dig that 10-22
Upload
Old     (joshturner)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-10-2008, 9:46 PM Reply   
thats kinda the direction i was leaning. D# is viable and still somewhat likley but i know i wont for at least a year. not untill i finnish school and can really afford it. and ryan you make a good point that once i upgrade i will still likley keep my D200 as a great backup body and which case the 10.5 fish is still useable. hmm now its looking like i am going to go spend some money i dont really have. thanks guys. i hate being a student. such a money pit.