Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 18, 2008

Old     (lseghatch)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-05-2007, 2:48 PM Reply   
Any fellow WW members have gauged ears or know if they can cause problems when riding/crashing? I'm currently in the stretching process but don't want to go too big (00g) if it is going to be an issue. I am only at 10g right now but would like to go to 0 or 00.
Old     (drewsnautique94)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-05-2007, 3:13 PM Reply   
i think you should put hoola hoops through them..that would be soo cool

(Message edited by drewsnautique94 on December 05, 2007)
Old     (lseghatch)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-05-2007, 5:57 PM Reply   
Right.......and I'm ready for some real input from others that have stretched ears. I'm pretty sure rusty has his stretched but not sure how big, they look between 10g and 6g.
Old     (raftisland)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-05-2007, 6:04 PM Reply   
i have never seen anyone ride with gauged ears but i am asuming that it wouldnt be a problem. why would it? the only problem i could see is that if u had a cut on you gauged ear lobe then it might get infected.
Old     (lseghatch)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-05-2007, 6:26 PM Reply   
I was just wondering if the skin that is stretched is more suseptable to tearing when crashing but now that I think about it, it shouldn't be.
Old     (darinmg)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-05-2007, 6:41 PM Reply   
Watch out for small fish getting stuck
Old     (_jason_)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-05-2007, 7:02 PM Reply   
in addition to raftisland's comment, I would think the only major problem would be the plug falling out of the lobe. Tons of my buddies who have plugs loose them every once in a while but thats about the most ive seen happen.
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       12-05-2007, 7:20 PM Reply   
yeah no need to worry but make sure they're healed enough so you can take them out when you ride otherwise you will lose them on the bad falls and it gets annoying spending 20 bux everytime. i personally have i think 7/16 in my ear
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-05-2007, 8:09 PM Reply   
zip tie them in.

problem solved
Old     (shredsickgnar)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-05-2007, 10:58 PM Reply   
My ears are gauged at about 2s. I used to lose a lot of earrings so I just started putting other things in my ears. I used pencil erasers and beads at first and now I'm using straws. Cheap and easy replacements when ever I need them.
Old     (killjoy951)      Join Date: May 2006       12-06-2007, 11:44 AM Reply   
get screw on plugs. i have 0s i have only lost plugs that have rubber bands. or just take them out and put them back in when your done shredding!
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-06-2007, 12:17 PM Reply   
*chuckle*

I can't believe this is actually a topic.

While we're at it, do these shorts make my ass look big?

(Message edited by OlskoolTige on December 06, 2007)
Old     (wakedv)      Join Date: May 2007       12-06-2007, 12:18 PM Reply   
haha...when you guy's grow up, you'll say, what was I thinking stretching these out! oh well, live and learn.
Old     (lseghatch)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-06-2007, 12:56 PM Reply   
As long as you don't go past 00 you are fine, they call it the point of no return. Your ears will close back up to the size or very close to the size they were stretched at. You'd be surprised how the human body works, the only time you'd have problems is if you stretch too fast and damage the tissue.
Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-06-2007, 1:05 PM Reply   
I don't understand the whole ear gaging. There is no way that someone with gaged ears to an extent could get a succesful, professional job from an employer.
Old     (wakedv)      Join Date: May 2007       12-06-2007, 1:12 PM Reply   
eye

m

wee

todd

ed

and repeat.
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       12-06-2007, 1:35 PM Reply   
I had mine 0 or 00! I only lost the plugs with the rubber band backs, On toe 3 landing wraped I lost both of them. But my head hurt so bad from the fall, the plugs were the last thing I was worried about. Like Jason said get the screw backs.

I had mine in for a year and took them out about 2 years ago. I still have holes but they are no bigger than a normal pireced ear. Sometimes I wish I still had them, (when I see some cool plugs) but had to take them out for work. Gotha make dat paper!! haha
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-06-2007, 1:41 PM Reply   
RJ you forgot the "sofa king"
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       12-06-2007, 3:36 PM Reply   
yeah as long as you don't tear your lobes and get scar tissue you are fine. My ears close up to about a 6 if i leave them out for a week And im at 7/16. As for boarding i actually forgot but my advice it get a set of the silicone hollow plugs that are a little to big. They were the only earrings i never lost until i actually gauged to 7/16. And i forgot to mention they are the most comnfortable plugs you will ever wear especially when you get to the larger ones
Old     (lseghatch)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-06-2007, 5:44 PM Reply   
More haters than I expected on here and to WAKEITUP. I am currently fully employed with salary at the age of 19 and finished with education needed for the line of work I'm in.

I guess in a different line of work they may not like them, but I see no reason for gauged ears to disqualify your abilities to do a job.
Old     (reinle)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-06-2007, 9:12 PM Reply   
I'm 19 years old...and wear 10 gauge ear rings. I have already served a summer as an account executive intern at a local radio station.... i was very successful and was invited back to work again the following summer. After two summers, i gained more than 20 new business accounts for the radio station (in a small very conservative kentucky town)... my boss told me that i accomplished more in my first three months at the radio station than most post college grads did in a year. It is possible to be a successful business person and have tattoos, piercings, etc. I understand that the opportunities for work with all of these body modifications are less than those available for the typical "clean cut" blue collared person, but there are still great opportunities available. Take the wakeboarding industry for example. Its not uncommon to see salespeople and regional reps for wakeboarding and other extreme sport companies to be different from the stereotypical business person. I would have expected the people on this board to really have a little more of an open mindset towards this sort of topic. I think it is a little harsh that a select few (not the majority) took a few cheap shots at piercings and gauged ears when a fellow wakeboarder was simply asking for advice.

To answer your question tyler... there are a few ways increase the probability of not losing your earrings, but if you take a hard enough fall they will come out! I had some 12 gauge captive looped earrings last summer. The ball was clamped in really tight, i couldnt get the ball out without a special tool! but sure enough i took a bad spill riding, and the ball came right out! just be careful, and maybe think about just taking the earrings out before your set and just pop them back in when your done
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-07-2007, 10:45 AM Reply   
what about just using a twisty tie to secure it to your ear for riding?
Old     (wakedv)      Join Date: May 2007       12-07-2007, 11:38 AM Reply   
No hate intended, just pointing out that at 19 or 20 years old you don't realize the impact that what you do now, can effect you for the rest of your life. At 40 or 50 you may look back and say,"what the hell was I thinking". Hey maybe the next thing we see will be stretching your neck with steel rings.
Old     (skurfer666)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-07-2007, 12:02 PM Reply   
I think Jonathon Nadolski had some bigger plugs in, and I don't think it caused any problems for him.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       12-07-2007, 1:24 PM Reply   
I got 4 gauge hoops in my ears, been rocking them for like 5 years know, i have had zero problems wakeboarding with them in, The only issue I have ever had is the same as BG loosing plugs. As for them ripping out, I have always heard (this information is from a tat artist so I dont really know how credible it is) as long as your ears are not over 00 they are harder to rip out than a regular hole. Kinda makes sense, I mean seemd like that small thin wire would rip out easier than a large round ring. But who knows, I am not willing to test!

To address Cory R's issue with loosing Captive Hoops, i have had that happen, they actually sell some hoops that look just like captive rings but they have a screw attachment on one end to close the hoop. I have had these kind for 2 years Haven't lost one yet. Knock on wood!

Dont listen to RJ, Stretch those things out get skull tatts, be a bad azz mother fakKer!
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-07-2007, 1:50 PM Reply   
Different strokes different folks. I could actually care less what he thinks when he gets older. All of us look back at things we done and say "What was I thinking?". It is what makes us different and our own person. Not everyone wants to be the blue-collar stereotype. RJ, times are different now than when you were younger. We have to accept homosexuality, body modification, God being taken out of schools, ect. Doesn't mean we agree with it but enough people do to the point were us who are old fashion and were raised old fashioned are out numbered.

To answer the question of the post, and no I don't have any piercing or tattoos, just take your jewelry out. Most athletes are required to take off any jewelry during sporting events because of it being likely to get caught.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       12-07-2007, 1:57 PM Reply   
I had guaged ears once and people kept stealing my loops. Luckily they were guaged at 00 so that I could put a Masterlock in my ear to keep my jewelry safe.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-07-2007, 4:17 PM Reply   
Eubanks, that was funny!

Hell all we had going in the 60's/70's was long hair, drugs and disco, everyone's getting a lot more creative these days!
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-07-2007, 5:09 PM Reply   
More and more employers are accepting body piercings and tattoos in the work place. Ten years ago when I started working in a professional atmosphere I had to remove certain piercings or cover up visable tattoos. Now, I work in an even more professional environment and they have no problem with it. A woman in a similar position to mine has several piercings on her face as well as tattoos on her arms and nobody has had any problem with it. Times are changing and things that weren't acceptable to a lot of people are now becoming very mainstream and nothing employers even look twice at anymore.
Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-07-2007, 8:42 PM Reply   
Don't kid yourself, people look twice.
Do what you want when young, but the majority of people/consumers and administrators will look differently at you.
In some jobs it won't matter, it's all good. In the mainstream it will, realize that or take your chance...it will be an upstream battle
But don't kid yourself.
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-08-2007, 8:01 AM Reply   
are you guys going to wear dresses and put tampons in when your wearing your ear rings. hahahahahaha sorry just had to say what my dad always told me about guys and ear rings.
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-08-2007, 9:57 AM Reply   
I wouldn't kid myself about it being accepted. No one wants to have double sleeves serving them food unless it's at McDonald's. You aren't going to be a CEO wearing brow rings and lip piercings unless it's for a garage. Have fun working on my car!

(Message edited by olskooltige on December 08, 2007)
Old     (lseghatch)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-08-2007, 10:21 AM Reply   
I actually don't want a blue collar job because I'll hate it. The reason I do body modification is simply because I wan't to do what I love and not be forced into a cubicle doing what every other joe blow does. Currently I am a welder/fabricator which I love to do and I feel the work is very rewarding. I also do race fabrication for street/strip/track cars.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-08-2007, 12:24 PM Reply   
Huh? You hate "blue collar jobs" but you love welding???

Did I miss something, welding is a "blue collar job"

(at least it used to be)

I quit my first job (at Mcdonalds hahaha) because they didn't allow long hair and I was a surfer (being a surfer without long hair was the quickest way to get your @ss pounded in the early 70's). Nothing anyone is talking about above is new, it's always been about doing things differently then the generation before.
Old     (drewsnautique94)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-08-2007, 1:44 PM Reply   
yea i tihnk the hexavalent chromium is getting to our welder
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-09-2007, 7:39 PM Reply   
i have 00 in my ears, and i either take them out when i ride or where my screw in ones, but generally i just take them out
Old     (wake_pirate)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-09-2007, 10:34 PM Reply   
I don't get it. Seems like stretching out your pecker would be more practical. Its like all those soccer moms with a tramp stamp just above their ass.
Old     (wake_pirate)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-09-2007, 10:53 PM Reply   
You aren't going to be a CEO wearing brow rings and lip piercings unless it's for a garage. Have fun working on my car!
///////////////////////Yeah right try your parents garage.
Old     (seansmitty42)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-10-2007, 1:01 AM Reply   
this thread went south quick