Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 13, 2007

Old     (evilrsix)      Join Date: May 2007       05-10-2007, 4:39 PM Reply   
I'm new to riding, I cant clear the wake or anything. I noticed that most people here seem to ride with No Fins on their board. I just bought a 07 Absolute, I'm wondering if i should learn to ride it with the center Fin and remove it as i get better. or just remove the center fin from the get go. Would it benefit me in the future to just learn to ride without the center fin from the start?
Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-10-2007, 4:44 PM Reply   
I would say to try both. When you first learn it's hard to balance so the center fin should help with that. Most people ride finless because of a quicker release off the wake and easier surface tricks. If I were in your position I would until you can get up and learn a progressive edge into the wake. If you don't know what a proggressive edge is I'm sure there's someone here that could tell you.
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-10-2007, 4:47 PM Reply   
theres an old thread posted awhile back about this, some great information in it..im sure someone will know where its at..
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-10-2007, 4:48 PM Reply   
if you're new, keep the center fins in. taking it out will just slow your progression. once you get your fundamentals down, take 'em off and try it.
Old     (fulltilt429)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-10-2007, 5:10 PM Reply   
Take'em out, you really learn and feel your edges. Just like snowboarding. You didnt leave the fins in your snowboard did you? Cause i did for the first couple runs but they kept snagging on the chair lifts. If you leave them in you'll right off the bat start learining bad habits. and dont commit yourself to one stance either ( reg. or goofy.) start with both and get comfertable with both, youll be much happier (and better) by the end of the season.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-10-2007, 5:19 PM Reply   
is this you? with or without fins?

Upload
Old     (evilrsix)      Join Date: May 2007       05-10-2007, 6:00 PM Reply   
im not sure if your asking if that pic is me, but no its not, if you are. Basically my skills consist of being able to get up every time and cross the wake both ways without falling. i pretty much only fall when i try to jump the wake. i guess i have yet to find my "edge" as i tend to steer with my front foot. i have nobody teaching me so im pretty much trying to learn on my own, i guess my only trick so far would be what you would call an ollie when skateboarding. i can get about a foot or so of Air. also im goofy foot i know this from years of skateboarding, but i can ride both ways pretty well, thanks for the info guys.
Old     (jusstty)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-10-2007, 7:05 PM Reply   
Riding with no fins makes you really commit to your edge so it gives you better board control. I prefer no fins but everyone has there preference.
Old     (blind)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-10-2007, 7:24 PM Reply   
joe's just giving jimmy a hard time, point taken. now where did I put those fins?
Old     (fulltilt429)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-10-2007, 9:33 PM Reply   
Hey Joe, That is me with fins...early last year. Look at the board and look at my profile again. Thats an 05 pure, (with some sick old school bright orange highbacks i might add). And now I ride an 07 Marius - finless, because of advice from some much more experienced riders for the reasons i stated above. I do wish I started riding w/o fins sooner and more switch when I started. Cause having to really feel an edge now, versus letting my fins do all the stabilizing, its like kinda learning to ride again. Also now if I make a run and I fall, the next run is switch until I fall (which isnt very long..yet). But with those principles I am hoping to relearn my muscle memory to these new techniques... just my two cents.
Old     (josh_r_skater)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-10-2007, 9:36 PM Reply   
i dont ride with fins
alot of times fins help teach bad body position
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-10-2007, 9:38 PM Reply   
you ride the marius finless? did you shave down the molded-in fins? that's the only way it would be finless.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-11-2007, 7:29 AM Reply   
good call Joe.
Old     (devilshaircut29)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-11-2007, 8:27 AM Reply   
Just about all boards have molded fins, so saying you ride finless implies no removable fins. I never have any problem riding with or without fins, and I can do all surface tricks both ways. As for riding switch, I wish I would have done that earlier.
Old     (fulltilt429)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-11-2007, 5:39 PM Reply   
No --- CENTER --- fin on the marius joe... damn.
Old     (martinez30)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-11-2007, 7:38 PM Reply   
C'mon fellas we all know fulltilt429 means NO CENTER FIN sheeezz!
Anyhow I have been riding finless since a little after I started riding, and I must say IMO I ride better, and edging is a lot easier for me, just my 2 cents. However everyone is different.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-11-2007, 9:47 PM Reply   
Garret, I am as new to wakeboarding as you are, can't do many tricks, fall when trying to jump etc,. I noticed that the board is a bit more loose feeling without the fins so I put them back on. worked great if I wanted to just ride. Blah who wants to do that. So I took the fins off, and the board is alot looser and seems alot easier to manipulate on the water. Take the fins off you wont regret it if you give it a chance.
Old     (dcranium)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-11-2007, 11:29 PM Reply   
Molded fins should give enough hold when edging but enough of a loose feel when practicing your surface 180s or 360s or ollie 180s without the dreaded fin catching, edge catching face plant. OUCH!
Old     (a907rider)      Join Date: May 2006       05-12-2007, 4:16 AM Reply   
I can honestly say that I ride finless much of the time, I ride a roam. Actually now I have a covenant but it should be the same. If you want to really learn proper edging technique ride a flexboard. With absoulutly no bottom features to assist you it's all about using those edges. Ive had friends that took a couple rides on the roam and when they went back to a wakeboard thier edging was much more solid and they just looked all around more comfortable riding. I think everybody should ride a roam/covenant at least once, it helps.
Upload
Upload
Old     (jetpilotz)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-13-2007, 10:01 AM Reply   
I like my fins.