Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old     (jwat142)      Join Date: Jan 2002       04-06-2003, 6:42 PM Reply   
I have a '93 MC Prostar 205 and in that year, all boats had to have a throttle that would spring back into neutral if you let it go for safety reasons. Well, I hate having to hold down the throttle the whole time I am driving, so does anyone know how to fix it so it won't spring back? Is there a spring somewhere that does that or what? Thanks for any help.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-06-2003, 10:24 PM Reply   
Justin,
Try (if you haven't already)www.mastercraftboats.com I know they have a discussion panel on their website that has a lot of tech members. They might better be able to answer your question? Also, if your up for the investment, you could always install a Perfect Pass system....
Good Luck.
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-07-2003, 12:19 AM Reply   
Morse has a part# to fix the problem. It's described as something akin to a "cable brake". It basically equates to a zip tie that you put on the line to increase friction between the cable and the casing it slides in.

As Ryan suggested, Perfect Pass will fix your problem and is a much better, albeit more expensive solution
Old    6more            04-07-2003, 5:32 AM Reply   
Justin - if it is a carb boat, you can just switch out the throttle return spring. It is located on the bracket where the throttle cable connects to the carb. It is a small diameter spring about 4" in length, but it is very strong. Just swap that spring out for another one that isn't as strong. I picked several different ones out at my local hardware store and tried them out until I found the one I liked the best. Even then, I probably only spent $5.00. I have a 93 PS 190.

If you boat is fuel injected, then there is no throttle return spring on the carb linkage. (There is a spring somewhere, but it is internal). What I have heard people doing is taking a small cable clamp and clamping it onto the throttle cable somewhere near the linkage. Slowly tighten the clamp until you get to a point where the throttle won't spring back. Basically the clamp is just adding enough friction to keep the cable from sliding as freely and therefore it won't spring back as easily. The draw back to this method is your throttle will be a little stiffer and it may wear out the cable a little faster.

Good luck. If you didn't understand my description, just let me know and I'll go into more detail.
Old     (jwat142)      Join Date: Jan 2002       04-07-2003, 7:59 AM Reply   
Yeah, mine is the fuel injected Corvette LT-1 engine. I may try the MC chat board. Thanks.
Old     (elmog)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-07-2003, 11:02 AM Reply   
I purchased the Morse Part for my '94. Basically pinches the cable so there is more friction. Worked like a charm. Can be seen here:

http://mirror.shipstore.com/SS/HTML/MOR/MOR44386.html
Morse Part
Old    6more            04-08-2003, 8:15 AM Reply   
$ 13.59 for the morse part (plus shipping) or $1.48 (plus tax) for two cable clamps and a thimble from The Home Depot. No competition there. Save go buy some gas with all that money you will save.
cable clamp
Old    cassidy            04-08-2003, 4:48 PM Reply   
I am looking to put the morse part on my Sanger, as I have the same throttle back issue, which I hate and find dangerous (even though it is supposed to be a safety feature). Has anyone had any probelems with the clamp solution? Any idea how much faster one's cable will wear out?

Old    cassidy            04-08-2003, 4:56 PM Reply   
I am looking to put the morse part on my Sanger, as I have the same throttle back issue, which I hate and find dangerous (even though it is supposed to be a safety feature). Has anyone had any probelems with the clamp solution? Any idea how much faster one's cable will wear out?

Old    cassidy            04-08-2003, 4:57 PM Reply   
I am looking to put the morse part on my Sanger, as I have the same throttle back issue, which I hate and find dangerous (even though it is supposed to be a safety feature). Has anyone had any probelems with the clamp solution? Any idea how much faster one's cable will wear out? Did you put the clamp close to the throttle or close to the ingine (mine is fuel injected, Black Scorpion).

Old     (elmog)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-09-2003, 6:22 AM Reply   
Mark,

As I recall, the instructions said to put it close to the throttle so I had it about 6" away right up under the drivers seat area. I obviously only tightened it enough to stop the 'spring back' and it did not take much at all to stop it. I know the guy who purchased my boat and he's still not had to replace the cable and it has been probably 200 hours/many years since installation.
Old    cassidy            04-09-2003, 1:38 PM Reply   
Grant,

Thanks - I will work on it this weekend, can't wait to get rid of the snap back, I find it a terrible hassale when cruising and towing.

Old    cassidy            04-20-2003, 8:36 AM Reply   
I installed the Morse part this weekend. As I was not on the water, I could only test it with the prop disengaged by revving the engine, and seeing if the RPM's dropped on their own. I tried to tighten it just enough to keep the throttle from pulling back on its own - it did not take much. I am a bit paranoid about over-tightening it. Not being in the water, I don't know if that is a good proxy for reality. Any thoughts?
I also could not get close to the shift lever, I had to install it near the back of the boat, a few feet from the engine. I assume this should not be an issue.
Also, how do you know if your cable is wearing out?

Thanks all.
Old    cassidy            04-20-2003, 2:13 PM Reply   
See previous post.