Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-02-2009, 8:13 PM Reply   
Upload
LAKE PICK #1 Camera on Manual settings
http://picasaweb.google.com/grantwest/LightTestManualSettings#
Pool Pick's Used to measure LUX
http://picasaweb.google.com/grantwest/LEDLightsInAPool#
LAKE PICK #2 "Camera setting's were set on automatic
http://picasaweb.google.com/grantwest/LightTestCameraSettingSWereSetOnAutomatic#
Old    MJHSupra            03-04-2014, 8:31 PM Reply   
This post had a bunch of great info for transom LEDs.

What does the Lumitec SeaBlaze3 Light compare to for the lights tested here?
I wondered about the beam - narrow or wide?
Looks to be around $200-$250ish in price.
Draws about 2.5A.

Mark
Old     (BlitzedVLX)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-05-2014, 11:56 AM Reply   
Are the baller 3 lights still being sold? The lights on our 08 VLX have went out and we need to get a similar replacement.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-05-2014, 12:26 PM Reply   
You will notice the information posted here is now 5 years old. I started with a Bullet LED on my boat and did not like the narrow beam of light so I replaced it the following year with a ShadowCaster. In the last 2 years or so these lights have become so popular that most boat manufacturers now offer the lights. I know that WetSounds also had a LED light line called Rogue4 but I am not aware of an underwater light in the lineup. Round lights similar to what we tested as Baller and Bullet LEDs seem to be widely available on the internet now. Even the Abyss lights might fall into this category. The ShadowCasters are still available but I believe they have made some changes and added RGBs to the lineup. Also after using/abusing my lights for a few years I know that the biggest issue is probably thermal management. Some of these lights only work under water where they rely on the thermal conduction of the water for cooling. When I used my round light above water it would flicker/dim/flash after 10 minutes or so when it got hot. This probably a good thing since the alternative is complete failure. I sometimes use my underwater light when backing into campsights with the boat, they work great for this but it is not how they are designed to be used from a thermal standpoint.

Brent, I suggest you search the internet, if you find something that looks the same it probably is.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-05-2014, 12:44 PM Reply   
I've had the Abyss S800 series on my Axis and they are very bright in fairly clear to slightly stained waters. Water clarity is key as well as color choice. I've seen Shadow Casters as well and they are excellent lights. The two Abyss S800's on my boat will light up easily 20-25' behind the boat (water visibility is about 8'). These are the only 2 companies I'll personally use. Abyss now has the Starfish Mini which will be next LED's on my new boat about to be delivered.

Side note: Earmark Marine has the Mako brand of LED's at 60% off retail. Now I've not personally used them but I imagine if you have clear or faily clear water these lights would be great and at a "cheap" price

Last edited by you_da_man; 03-05-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Old    MJHSupra            03-05-2014, 7:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by you_da_man View Post
I've had the Abyss S800 series on my Axis and they are very bright in fairly clear to slightly stained waters. Water clarity is key as well as color choice. I've seen Shadow Casters as well and they are excellent lights. The two Abyss S800's on my boat will light up easily 20-25' behind the boat (water visibility is about 8'). These are the only 2 companies I'll personally use. Abyss now has the Starfish Mini which will be next LED's on my new boat about to be delivered.

Side note: Earmark Marine has the Mako brand of LED's at 60% off retail. Now I've not personally used them but I imagine if you have clear or faily clear water these lights would be great and at a "cheap" price

+1 on the Abyss Mini Starfish. I'm not sure how long they have been on the market.
They would appear to really get the light out there @ 2.6A. Size is 3". Price is around $369

On the Earmark site, the Abyss Starfish is 3.8A @ 4 3/4" for $720. Other sites have them around $640ish. They are listed as having a built in thermic control.

Two blue would be great under the platform.

Mark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       03-06-2014, 6:35 AM Reply   
I was recently introduced to Rigid Industies "Wake Flame" series of underwater lights. Their Wake Flame SXL in white specs 7 amps and 9000 raw lumens. Other colors are less amp draw and lumens and these things aren't cheap! They also have a smaller version called Wake Flame SL that is a bit less expensive.

I came across them yesterday online so I have no real world experience, but you can't argue a current draw of 7 amps from an LED is gonna put out some light. Just another option for the ballas out there.

http://marine.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting/89111

Last edited by corerider; 03-06-2014 at 6:39 AM.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-06-2014, 2:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by corerider View Post
I was recently introduced to Rigid Industies "Wake Flame" series of underwater lights. Their Wake Flame SXL in white specs 7 amps and 9000 raw lumens. Other colors are less amp draw and lumens and these things aren't cheap! They also have a smaller version called Wake Flame SL that is a bit less expensive.

I came across them yesterday online so I have no real world experience, but you can't argue a current draw of 7 amps from an LED is gonna put out some light. Just another option for the ballas out there.

http://marine.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting/89111
$999!?!?!? They're just lights! People obviously have money to spend.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-06-2014, 7:40 AM Reply   
I really need to start a company for something an just charge a s*** load of money. Just because

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       03-06-2014, 3:04 PM Reply   
Yeah but what's $1000 when you are putting it on $100K+ boats with $6000+ stereos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old    MJHSupra            03-06-2014, 5:06 PM Reply   
The 1-color LED is $999.99, but the upgrade 4-color LED a deal at $1,099.99. At 7A, they will be watching you from outer space.
Shadow Casters are not far behind in price.

Pay for what you get.

M-

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-07-2014, 8:27 AM Reply   
Funny this thread was done back in 2009. It's strange how Underwater LED lights haven't gotten any cheaper like most electronic stuff does over time. But underwater lights are something I don't recommend "trying out" like tower speakers.IMO Get the best lights you can afford and forget about it. With that said I'm sure this test could be re-done and a whole new list of challengers could come in and Rock the boat.

Rigid off road stuff is pretty awesome (very expensive) but very well built. Wet sounds has a LED company called Rouge 4 (I didn't see underwater lights in there product line) they look very nice as well.

Why don't people start listing new LED lights that were not included in the Original test and we can put them up against the Winner of the last test and see how the New lights stack up.
Old     (LIFEFORM_LED)      Join Date: Oct 2013       11-06-2014, 8:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
Funny this thread was done back in 2009. It's strange how Underwater LED lights haven't gotten any cheaper like most electronic stuff does over time. But underwater lights are something I don't recommend "trying out" like tower speakers.IMO Get the best lights you can afford and forget about it. With that said I'm sure this test could be re-done and a whole new list of challengers could come in and Rock the boat.

Rigid off road stuff is pretty awesome (very expensive) but very well built. Wet sounds has a LED company called Rouge 4 (I didn't see underwater lights in there product line) they look very nice as well.

Why don't people start listing new LED lights that were not included in the Original test and we can put them up against the Winner of the last test and see how the New lights stack up.

We actually compete very well with Shadow Caster and our technology push over the last 2 years has allowed us to bring a very very good light to market at much better prices than Shadow Caster, Ocean LED and Rigid.

Check out the Lifeform 9. It blows the shadow casters right outta the water
http://lifeformled.com/lifeform-9/
Old     (prernrgod)      Join Date: Aug 2013       11-13-2014, 8:34 PM Reply   
Here are some pics of my Rigid Wakeflame SL lights. Super happy with them !
Attached Images

Old     (93lxt)      Join Date: Dec 2011       03-07-2014, 9:47 AM Reply   
I have 3 shadow casters on the transom of my z3 and it looks/works great ! one on either side of the taps plate and one on the taps plate itself.
Old     (amsterdamn)      Join Date: Aug 2014       12-17-2014, 5:04 PM Reply   
Look soo sick. Any way that theres some red lights that you have? If so, PM me, i may be interested