Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       12-02-2013, 12:29 PM Reply   
So, I used some of the Black Friday deals as motivation to finally pull the trigger on a drysuit. Like I'm sure most others, I went with the O'Neill Boost Drysuit.

So I'm interested in any suggestions for:

1) care for the drysuit
2) how to best store it
3) what kind of boots people have used to surf with?
4) any other tips/tricks/insight

Also, what's the general consensus on drysuits and life vests?? I know a handful that skip the vest because the drysuit with even a little air in it tends to be quite boyant... But I've seen pics of other friends wearing their vests. Thoughts?
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       12-02-2013, 12:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayson View Post
So, I used some of the Black Friday deals as motivation to finally pull the trigger on a drysuit. Like I'm sure most others, I went with the O'Neill Boost Drysuit.

So I'm interested in any suggestions for:

1) care for the drysuit
2) how to best store it
3) what kind of boots people have used to surf with?
4) any other tips/tricks/insight

Also, what's the general consensus on drysuits and life vests?? I know a handful that skip the vest because the drysuit with even a little air in it tends to be quite boyant... But I've seen pics of other friends wearing their vests. Thoughts?

1. Moisturize the seals 1-2x per year (before storing, before starting the season)
2. Dry area - I vote lay it flat. Hangers can be bad. Fold it if space is a premium
3. Tons of options out there from traditional surfing - pick your thickness and find a cyber Monday deal today at a surf shop online
4. You are definitely buoyant in a drysuit --- but it comes down to how much do you value your life. If you blow out a seal on a bad crash (wakeboarding) and that thing fills up - it's gonna be rough getting it off as it fills with water and you're dazed/TKO'd.. I vote wear one underneath - if nothing else a non-CGA that is thin... Others put different value on things - lots of guys ride with no vest at all in the summer.. Silly to me, fine for others.
Old     (supersonicmi)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-02-2013, 12:57 PM Reply   
It helps to put it the suit in something (storage box, bag etc..) when storing it so it is not exposed to air all the time. this will help keep with seal moisturize.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       12-02-2013, 10:08 PM Reply   
Adrenaline Watersports has this care kit for drysuits. http://www.adrenalinewatersports.com...SubID=115&pg=0
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       12-03-2013, 5:26 PM Reply   
Just keep seals clean and store in a big ziplock bag. Use the zipper wax occasionally. You can loosely fold zipper but don't mash it over. Leave it kinda looped if that makes sense.

As for vest. Some of my buddies do and some don't. Most of the time I wear a light non CGA under mine. I mostly wear it for the additional warmth it provides! I don't really think you have much to worry about blowing a seal out and sinking, being water is neutrally buoyant anyway and I find it hard to believe you'd blow a seal out on a crash anyway.
Old     (Kwclark)      Join Date: Oct 2013       12-07-2013, 4:13 PM Reply   
I bought me a boost suit recently. I used it last weekend for the first time. Best 430 bucks i ever spent in my life. My season would be over with out it. now its an endless summer. I would worry more about keeping the zipper lubed than the seals. Store it inside the house and you should be fine.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       12-07-2013, 5:08 PM Reply   
I've been using the same Bare dry suit for 7 years now. On my third set of seals and still the original zipper. It is a very well made suit. The only advice I can give is to make sure the condition the seals more often rather than less. And make sure you condition them before putting it away for the season.

A dry suit is a GREAT investment. You will never regret buying one.

Heck my buddy's battery died and we were almost 1/2 a mile from shore and than a 2 mile walk back to the marina to get my boat and the water was like 48. I put on the dry suit, swam to shore and than took it off and was totally dry. I would have froze in a wetsuit. And our entire boat pretty much uses the same suit.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-07-2013, 5:43 PM Reply   
I highly recommend the ONeill Gooru Tech 3mm boots. They are fully dipped and have no seams so you stay really dry and warm. But the biggest thing is that the sole isnt too thick. Most surf booties have a thick sole so it doesnt hurt when walking on rocks, but that makes it so you lose a ton of board feel. With wakesurfing you dont have to worry about walking on rocks, so having the thinner sole is so nice. You can actually feel the board underneath you, while staying warm and dry!

I was out in 50* water today with air in the 40s and my feet felt so good. We started stocking them in our shop this year to since more and more wakesurfers in our area are riding all year.
Old     (tristan)      Join Date: Oct 2009       12-10-2013, 6:37 AM Reply   
Anyone receommend gloves to use with a drysuit? Tried O'Neill Gooru 1.5mm and 3mm but finger tips still go numb
Old     (whatshesaid)      Join Date: Jun 2013       12-10-2013, 7:34 AM Reply   
Do not store in the garage, and treat ther seals. Glove are for girls. Lol JK.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-12-2013, 1:30 PM Reply   
Use silicone spray to condition seals
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-12-2013, 5:41 PM Reply   
Anyone have a good source on replacement gaskets. After seeing this thread I dug up my drysuit and the gaskets are all shot.