Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-10-2007, 6:40 PM Reply   
Anyone towing with this vehicle? Pros, cons? I am considering one and want to know how it performs for a V6. Thanks in advance.
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-10-2007, 7:11 PM Reply   
5000lb tow rating is good for a V6. It must be limited by the suspension or gear ratio because the same motor in the Tacoma is rated at 6500lbs. I would look into the option of air assist and check with the manufactures if it increases towing capacity.

The newest issue of Trailer Boats magazine has the complete specs of 2008 tow vehicles.

(Message edited by soundbox on November 10, 2007)
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-10-2007, 7:32 PM Reply   
I would think the short wheelbase might be your biggest issue, not the power. For launching and a quick trip, I'm sure it would be fine, but on long freeway speed journeys, long wheelbase vehicles are much more suitable.
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-10-2007, 7:41 PM Reply   
We tried and it rode like a po go stick! Our 4 runner doesn't do that well either. Both have great power and traction but the short wheel base on the FJ made us get the 4runner. Which still suffers just not any where as bad.
Old     (poontank)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-10-2007, 9:11 PM Reply   
I use my '05 Nissan Pathfinder with a V6 that has a 6000lbs towing capacity and it works great. It hauls my 20' sea ray that weighs about 3500lbs no sweat. I've hauled my boat on short and long trips and I couldn't be happier with the performance of my Pathfinder.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-11-2007, 12:36 AM Reply   
I'm haulin a Malibu vRide with an 07 Dodge Nitro with a V6. Their rated up to 5000 lbs with a weight distributing hitch equalizer. Their a pain to hook up, but push the trailer weight to the front wheels. Seems to haul straight & brake easily.
Old     (jbudnik)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-11-2007, 6:17 AM Reply   
I did it also, it lowers the back a little, but not bad. After putting an air intake and using premium fuel, which it requires, it worked great.
Pogo stick?? I was pulling my 07 Supra 21V and had no problems. Just keep in mind, it uses a ton of gas. Here is a pic.Upload
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-11-2007, 7:21 AM Reply   
Jason you are towing a tandum axle I wasn't.
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-11-2007, 10:35 AM Reply   
Jason and other FJ owners. Try looking into the AirLift product that is a load assist. Part number is 60809 and it calls for 2 hours of install time for the FJ. Standard is to fill with a shrader valve (typically mounted in gas filler door) or you can install an optional compressor with switch and guage for on the fly adjustment. I use the leaf spring version on my Sierra and it works like a dream. Ride quality is improved 200% or more while towing. I ability to level truck and it helps when its lowered 6 inches in back with 22s. I run with 10 lbs of pressure around town. 30-50 if the bed is loaded with lumber or supplies. 70 towing a 22'boat and 85-90 for a fully loaded 24' enclosed car trailer. Its hard to tell anything is back there with the exception of the gas pedal having to go down a little further and wind gusts. I recommend them to everyone towing anything.

Upload
Upload
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-11-2007, 10:40 AM Reply   
Forgot to leave the website:

http://www.airliftcompany.com/load_support_index.html
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-11-2007, 12:41 PM Reply   
Thanks guys for the info...
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-12-2007, 7:58 AM Reply   
Cosmocat - I've been thinking the same thing. I'm debating between an old K5 or the FJ for my next rig. I hardly drive outside of the weekend so a guzzler won't hurt too much. Put up a post if you get one!
Old     (bakes5)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-12-2007, 5:12 PM Reply   
Equalizing bars do wonders