Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-29-2012, 7:36 PM Reply   
Stripped the threads putting the bolt in and now can't get it out. Any ideas on how to get it out, I already try putting some needle nose under it to pry it up while I used the wrench.

And once it's out is there any thing I can do to reuse the insert. I hope it's the bolt that got messed up not the insert.
Old    9Drozd            11-29-2012, 8:00 PM Reply   
You can always grind a slot in the top of the bolt and use a flat-head screwdriver to get it out. The insert will have to have a tap run down it and replace the bolt. Dont go crazy on running the tap down your insert as you'll run it through the bottom of your board.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-30-2012, 5:24 AM Reply   
I don't have a problem turning the bolt it just won't spin out. I guess once I get it out I will have to use a tap though.
Old     (DealsGapCobra)      Join Date: May 2010       11-30-2012, 6:21 AM Reply   
Hmm, that is an interesting problem. I would try some more with the prying up as I turned the bolt. There is a saying "If brute force doesn't get the job done, you aren't using enough." :-) Having said that, you obviously don't want to damage the board.

Once out, chase with a tap as mentioned or you could use a heli-coil if needed.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       11-30-2012, 8:03 AM Reply   
The insert stripped out in the board. I've heard of this happening before. I'd try to warranty it if it's not that old. I don't think you can really fix it, but you can move you're bindings one hole in or out and use a different insert.
A far as getting the bolt out, not sure. You could drill the head off so that you can get the binding off. And if you can't get the entire bolt out you could grind it smooth and just use different holes.
Good luck, that's a really tough problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
Old     (HypeWar)      Join Date: May 2011       11-30-2012, 8:12 AM Reply   
Hey Blair, you say the bolt turns but won't back out? It sounds like you have spun the insert. The inserts are usually molded into an ABS insert pack and will sometimes strip out of that pack if the bindings are over tightened, bolt is cross threaded, ETC. If that is the case you may have to cut the bolt flush with the board and move your stance to a different insert. If you shoot me an PM with some pictures maybe we can diagnose it.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-30-2012, 8:24 AM Reply   
Its a used 2009 recoil that I was putting the bindings on for the first time (I'm trying to stay clam). I was trying to use my open toe Ronix bindings since the slingshot bindings I got with are alittle snug. But I thing if I can just get the bolt out I can use the slingshot holes that mount in the center like a snowboard. (RIGHT ??)
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-30-2012, 8:25 AM Reply   
And I think you right about the insert spining.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       11-30-2012, 9:56 AM Reply   
Sounds like a warranty issue. If they don't care of it for you, there are a few tricks I know that may help.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-30-2012, 10:44 AM Reply   
I don't think they would do anything for a board that is an 09
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-01-2012, 8:24 AM Reply   
Messed with it last night and realized it defiantly is the insert spinning in the board. I guess I'll have to cut the bolt and use something to hold the insert while I turn the bolt.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       12-03-2012, 9:47 AM Reply   
There is an old trick in snowboarding where you add a few small screws from the bottom of the board to hold the insert in place.
You can also remove the insert & put a heli-coil insert back in it's place.
Do you have a pic of the problem area (top of the board & bottom)? It's kinda hard to give proper advice without seeing it.