Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2006

Old     (the_madness)      Join Date: May 2003       07-27-2006, 12:14 PM Reply   
Any suggestions on good places to ride or hazards to look out for launching from B&W.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-27-2006, 12:31 PM Reply   
Coming out of B&W, hang a left and go north. At the split, stay left and continue up the north fork. The further in you go the better the riding gets. Eventually you'll reach bridge and a place call Guisti's (sp) That spot in front of the bridge is pretty much always glass (and a few sloughs along the way). If you venture past the bridge, there is al kinds of cool ride spots back there. I think Locke an Isleton is where you end up. It's beautiful up there.
Old     (the_madness)      Join Date: May 2003       07-27-2006, 12:47 PM Reply   
Thanks J-Rod, I'm going to be getting access to a big boat in the Willow Berm Marina to crash on. When we get in maybe I can trade you a little guide service for some barbeque and a couple cold beers after.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-27-2006, 12:49 PM Reply   
Sounds good. I miss that area.

You should try to hook up with Wes (pesos)

He still rides up there and knows the area better than I.
Old     (wayz)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-28-2006, 2:59 PM Reply   
Brad, Thanks for asking this question. I wanted the same advice. I'm going to head out to the Delta for my very first time. I'm in Fairfield and I know B&W is my closest launch resort. I'll be out there this Sunday.

J-Rod, thanks for the good description. I'll be using that same tour to start with.

The only horror stories I've heard about is the wicked yacht wakes in the open water. Watch out! My buddy launch up in the air and took in mad water.
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-28-2006, 3:12 PM Reply   
Brad hey when are ya going????
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-28-2006, 6:54 PM Reply   
Wes, knows one section of the river

I like to call it going on tour, and that is when you ride out in a direction and keep right on going. There are some great spots to ride North West of B&W, but unless you keep your boat there, it is easier to drop in somewhere else and save the boat gas and time. There is one really really long 5 and another long one. If you want into the meadows (Only spot to ride in hurricane force winds, also the only time the Coast Guard recommended that we not to go out(We were able to ride glass and up to a 4 in chop surface), there is a super long 5, but it has trees on both sides and a very nice boat ride. Watch it on low tide though.

The Isleton area has some nice riding, as does the main Sacramento River channel after Locke.

Past Wimpy's on the South River the water will always have flat sections, but it is super narrow, twisty, and boat are often beached on the beaches. About 2/3 the way down that section of the river, it opens up and there is a section we named the race track, because we would lap it all day. Hog Slough is a great place to ride when it is a reverse wind, as it is warm and glassy with little current, but is very shallow, with a mostly muddy bottom.

The weeds will help tell you the water depth as long as you relate them to the tide. In a high tide they are over 7 feet long.

A depth meter is not a requirement but a good thing to have.

I have hit bottom probably 6 times in the Delta, but everytime it was in mud and we were at idle or in and out of gear knowing it was shallow. It is common to see mud pushed to the surface from prop wash. Happens everytime North of Paradise Marina during low tide.

MOST IMPORTANT THING! BUY A MAP! You can purchase a really nice one that is plastic coated and rolls up for ten bucks.
Old     (the_madness)      Join Date: May 2003       07-29-2006, 11:14 AM Reply   
Peter: thanks for the scoop on that area. Sounds like there is a lot to learn about riding in the delta.

Mike: it will be a couple weeks before the deal is closed on the houseboat, so we probably won't be heading down until then. Let me know if you want to come down, you're always welcome.
Old     (wayz)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-31-2006, 3:31 PM Reply   
I just hit the Delta for my first time this Sunday. It was pretty cool. Way different from Berryessa. There was a lot of boat traffic near the Locke area, but I got my usual sets in with much more calm waters then under the bridge at Berryessa on weekends. I just had to wait it out for the passing traffic, but all was good. Launching from B&W, we had to go through a few no wake zone that took forever to get to the Locke area. Thanks for all the directions. Now I just have to venture off to find a much more secluded area in the Delta.