Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 11, 2007

Old     (wawakeboarder5)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-18-2006, 6:18 PM Reply   
i need help. i just can't jump toeside. i've been wakeboarding for about 2 years and still have a whole bunch of trouble jumping ts. its holding back my progression. does anyone have any tips
Old     (slax303)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Portland to Boston       12-18-2006, 6:49 PM Reply   
just keep going toeside.. make an entire day out of just trying to work on toeside jumping.. dont start out going for the gold right away.. just start out hitting the wake and getting a feel for it... then as you get more comfortable, start cutting harder
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-18-2006, 6:53 PM Reply   
for every time you jump the wake heelside, give it your best shot going back the other way toeside. Even if it takes a couple falls, you'll get the hang of it eventually.
Old     (flboarder)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-18-2006, 7:03 PM Reply   
shorten up the rope as short as it goes and it will make jumping toe side so much easier
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       12-19-2006, 6:42 AM Reply   
Get a copy of the Book and do the edging drills.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-19-2006, 7:41 AM Reply   
MOst common problems are not edgin correctly and then letting off edge early. The whole TS is awkward. At the Boarding School, they told us that you still need to be leaning away from the boat...or "down the line". This will sort of hunch you over the rope a bit, so try to keep your posture straight. The trouble is because it feels awkward, the speed starts to feel too high and you tend to back off.

Try inside out TS jumps to start. Edge all the way over to the oposite side then pactice nice TS cuts through the wake. Don't worry about pop, just hold your edge and focus on landing on edge and continuing the ts edge out away from the boat. When this is comfortable, try one wake TS and then again, you must focus on riding the landing away. When you can do this, just lengthen your cut and try some wake to wake. Shorten the rope up when you do these so you don't need to take big fast cuts.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-19-2006, 8:23 AM Reply   
eric has some good pointers. Often we relate "getting on the gas" TS with leaning over your toes. this is the way to initiate the turn but you will not be in the correct position at the wake. leaning "down the rope" is the best way to build line tension as eric mentioned.

Once you initiate the turn, lean hard against the rope - "down the rope" and focus on your back foot. focus on keeping your edge with the position of your foot. and keep most of your weight on the back foot. it helps to bend your knee in a bit and just firm up your back leg. Also, keep your front leg bent a little but keep it really firm as well. and you don't have to ollie at the wake. Keep your legs firm, in a strong position, keep your front leg pretty straight, but firm. Look across the wake where you're landing. takes a little practice, but just focus on setting up in a strong position and you'll get it.

I would only shorten the rope if you can't get close on a few attempts like i mentioned. I bet you'll launch on 2nd or 3rd shot at it. good luck
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-19-2006, 8:27 AM Reply   
Charlie has it.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-19-2006, 8:30 AM Reply   
well, i don't see how bad fundamentals on a shorter rope with make you a better rider on a longer one. my .02 tho
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-19-2006, 8:35 AM Reply   
Heelside Possy, don't let it happen to you.
Old     (the_madness)      Join Date: May 2003       12-19-2006, 3:36 PM Reply   
The advice that got me over both wakes toeside was to let go with your rear hand, maybe even reach down for an indy or tail grab. I had a hard time keeping my body in the right position with both hands on the rope.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-20-2006, 12:25 AM Reply   
Don't be a heelside hero!

Sorry. I love saying that. The advice above is great, listen to them, I have absolutely nothing valuable to add to this thread.

Hmm...now that I look up, I am not sure I agree with Brad's advice (sorry). I don't really think you should learn by letting go, I really never felt like that helped anything fundamentally. If you have a good edging technique, I think a two handed landing should be no issue.
Old    rob_guy            12-20-2006, 5:06 AM Reply   
theres a gud dvd that help called waketrix it does basics like that i have a bit of the same problem i dont feel comfortable going ova the wake so i get the boat go slower and jus go at it and if i fall theres no worrys coz im goin slower or u can jus go bit at a time start little and work up 2 big jumps
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-20-2006, 7:35 AM Reply   
slower boat = less speed + wider wake. and its just water.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-20-2006, 8:11 AM Reply   
"The advice that got me over both wakes toeside was to let go with your rear hand"

Letting go with your rear hand is actually a common mistake. When you let go with your rear hand, the handle pulls away from your body and you loose the line tension you need to get across. I would recommend learning with both hands on the handle before you let go and try for grabs.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-20-2006, 8:56 AM Reply   
^fo sho

opening up to the wake will do nothing to help you get across. you don't need a more aggressive cut, you need better body position on a moderate approach
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-20-2006, 6:45 PM Reply   
I would say "let go" most riders tend to pull with both arm after they get pop. This will cause them to open their chest to the boat resulting in a but check or slide out.
But if the rider is not getting good pop then I would say "both hands on" as this will help them hold a stronger edge.

Luke
We need to know what is wrong to try and help you.
Most rider think they cant cut well or they can't edge hard for a ts w2w. But if you think about your edge when you set up for a hs w2w a ts w2w edge should be similar. Give us some clues and lets see what the minds of WW can do.
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       12-20-2006, 8:29 PM Reply   
You will advance much faster if you get some lessons or ride with people who are better than you. Most good riders are more than happy to lend a little advise. Post on the 'find a third' ---go ride with new people, ask for help. If you are ever in CA hit me up, I'll help.
Peace