Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 02, 2007

Old     (chqwakeboarder)      Join Date: May 2006       05-20-2007, 3:56 PM Reply   
This Christmas, we got some Murray closed toe bindings. I was able to use them for the first time last weekend and the were very difficult to get in and out of. Seriously, it took me 5min of torqing and twisting to get into the bindings (this all happened without the use of soap). I was wondering if I could use soap to help me get into the bindings? Previously I thought that I couldn't because the soap would ruin the neopreme, but now I reconsidering this notion. What soap do you recommend if infact I can use soap? (FYI the bindings are XL and I have size 12 feet)
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       05-20-2007, 4:10 PM Reply   
DONT USE SOAP BECAUSE IT IS A DEGREASER AND WILL DRY OUT UR BINDING. USE NEWT JUICE OR SLIME U CAN FIND IT AT ANY PRO-SHOP OR ORDER IT ONLINE. WWW.NEWTJUICE.COM
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-20-2007, 4:15 PM Reply   
thats pretty nuts u couldnt get into them. i wear a size 13 and had no problem with xl murrays. maybe they just need to be broken in a lil more...
Old     (abhoe157)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-20-2007, 4:15 PM Reply   
boot butter by babes
Old     (partyb)      Join Date: Dec 2001       05-20-2007, 4:15 PM Reply   
I've been using soap for like 10 years. And I've had the same Parks bindings for at least 3 years. And I live in FL so they are used more then most people's bindings. I've never seen any evidence of regular soap damaging bindings. I think this is an urban myth. just my 2 cents
Old     (wawakeboarder5)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-20-2007, 5:02 PM Reply   
i had the similiar problem. i also have a 12 and ride the XL. after a few sets wearing them, it gets easier putting them on, i always use soap or something like it. it just makes it easier
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-21-2007, 7:43 AM Reply   
use a 99cent bottle of dawn -- soap make effect the bindings over a period of 10yrs or so,, i've never had any issues and can't cout how many times mine have been saoped up -- heck it washes right off when in the water anyway...
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-21-2007, 7:46 AM Reply   
2006 L Murrays size 9.5 and I use a little dawn as well. :-)
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-21-2007, 7:52 AM Reply   
u can also use shaving cream...it rinses out very easy.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-21-2007, 8:52 AM Reply   
I use a can of Colgate foamy shaving cream. Usually I go through two cans per season going out about 2 times per week (that's sharing with the entire crew each time). I've got the older Liquid Force Exo bindings and my size 13 feet are not kind to them. Keep in mind that shaving cream does not at all help you get out of your bindings afterwards.
Old     (jhertz27)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-21-2007, 11:25 AM Reply   
I would go with the binding lube....but if you don't want to spend the $$$ just dilute a bottle of soap with some water.
Old     (wakerpunk)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-21-2007, 2:11 PM Reply   
buy a pair of cwbs and you wont need soap. cwb always does the trick!
Old     (chqwakeboarder)      Join Date: May 2006       05-21-2007, 3:12 PM Reply   
wakeboard2escape, we have a pair of cwb's also and they're even harder to get into. Thanx to everyone who gave advise
Old     (wakerpunk)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-21-2007, 3:47 PM Reply   
haha chgwakeboarder that is good to hear. finally someone who could careless about cwb and how every freakin thread gets switched to how you should buy cwb's
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-21-2007, 3:58 PM Reply   
I'm all about promoting what you like but some people go a little over board with promoting their brand. Although it is usually funny as hell to watch everyone argue. Especially when it is all opinion and personal preference not fact.
Old     (mracrew)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-21-2007, 4:12 PM Reply   
def go with shaving cream. it comes out of the bindings so fast and dissolves way better then soap
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-21-2007, 4:22 PM Reply   
put a bottle of toe jam inside, break em in a little for you...until you break them in, use toe jam... or some environmental soap that i heard is okay for your boot and water but ya

just pay up with 7 bucks or whatever for toe jam till you break them in
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-21-2007, 5:10 PM Reply   
Dont Hate. It is just a fact that CWB hinge techs can be worn by just about any large foot without lube. I personally watched a size 16 foot slide into the Torqs dry and with no lube.
Old     (chqwakeboarder)      Join Date: May 2006       05-21-2007, 8:13 PM Reply   
What do you guys think about using cheap shampoo? Would that be any better for the environment than Dawn or shaving cream? Could it mess up the bindings?
Old     (chqwakeboarder)      Join Date: May 2006       05-22-2007, 9:44 AM Reply   
Can I use shampoo?
Old     (chqwakeboarder)      Join Date: May 2006       05-23-2007, 4:39 PM Reply   
Sorry for being persistant, but I kinda half to know if I have to buy something else instead of using shampoo. Thanx
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-23-2007, 4:52 PM Reply   
Sometimes I just can't believe how cheap people are. You go out and spend $500 plus on a board set up and then you can't buy a $6 bottle of binding slime, what gives. The next time you go to McDonald's or Burger King it is going to cost you $8 or $9 but you won't complain then just buy the slime and forget about how to get your size 12 in.

If you have your own boat and you bring people out on it with you how many times have they asked you this " is there anything I can bring" say yes some friggin binding slime, it's real simple.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-23-2007, 4:56 PM Reply   
has nothing to do with affording, everyone has dawn and shaving cream, who gives a shiaaat what you use?
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-23-2007, 5:00 PM Reply   
I don't think most slime or lube works as good as soap.
Old     (chqwakeboarder)      Join Date: May 2006       05-23-2007, 5:06 PM Reply   
Easy Tiger. First, I live in Cleveland and there is no place to buy binding lube within an hour of my house. Second, there is no way in hell that Im goin to buy lube on the internet and pay an extra $8+ in shipping. Finally, I am cheap. I know that. Im sorry if I come off as annoying for asking if I could use shampoo for binding lube, but I really watch where I spend my money (it's near the point of being a little OCD). Sorry if I pissed you off CAR. By the way, I have yet to spend $500+ on a setup. All the things that I own were bought on super liquidation.

(Message edited by Chqwakeboarder on May 23, 2007)
Old     (chqwakeboarder)      Join Date: May 2006       05-23-2007, 5:09 PM Reply   
CAR, btw i've seen pictures of the setup that you are rockin on your boat and I most say that your boat is really bada$$. I really digged the TVs in the mirrors.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-23-2007, 5:12 PM Reply   
Soap is a detergent. It will not harm most neoprene. It can harm the glues that hold the two-layered neoprene together. Soap is also hard on the waterway. In a river, no big deal. In a small lake with little depth and a lot of weeds, it is a big deal.

Binding slime is typically made from glycerine or a surfactant. You can get glycerine from the pharmacy and go cheap. It is the main ingredient in skin moisturizer. Surfactants are found in a lot of products that are degresers. Dawn is one example - except for a few other ingredients you don't want in the water. Yes, baby shampoo is another.

The biggest problem with soap is that it does not wash out easily and most people use way too much. If you mix 50-50 with water and put it into a spray bottle, it works a lot better and it will wash out much easier. No more early releases from the bindings.

My personal favorite prepared binding lube is Moose Juice - a surfactant. When I don't have any, I use 50/50 baby shampoo and water in a spray bottle.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-23-2007, 6:40 PM Reply   
Yeah 50-50 in a spray bottle.

I have been using it for years. It is safe for the enviroment(redily biodegradable) and plus your nasty feet smell like apples (or whatever scent)

For all those who are worried about degradation of neoprene etc...the soap is only on the bindings for a short while, it isn't like you are soaking the bindings in soap. Plus, the mix is reduced in concentration.

We get the cheapest bottle possible and mix it.

(Message edited by rson on May 23, 2007)
Old     (csswake3)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-23-2007, 7:20 PM Reply   
lava lube
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-24-2007, 6:59 AM Reply   
20-30% antibacterial dish soap (cause the lake is dirty) and the rest water.

Side note, I wouldn't want to use any lube for a closed toe binding, it sounds like you just need to break them in. In/out 5-10 times and you'll be all set. I just can't see the lube rinsing out very well.
Old     (partyb)      Join Date: Dec 2001       05-24-2007, 1:14 PM Reply   
CAR--it's not about being cheap. It's about some guy made up some stuff you put in your boots that is no better then dawn you buy at the market. It's marketing ploy and a waste of money. It's dumb. And I'm not going to go out of my way to waste my money to order some crap on the internet or from my local shop (which does not carry it b/c it is dumb) when I can get the stuff in my kitchen.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-24-2007, 1:48 PM Reply   
I sometimes pee in my bindings and they go on real nice...great for the environment and free!

STUPID THREAD....NEXT TOPIC!!!
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-24-2007, 1:49 PM Reply   
K-Y works REALLY well too. You might want to pull out a few times before staying in, but your feet just slide in.

Def know someone who used Newt Juice for a "different" application. silly college kids
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-24-2007, 2:31 PM Reply   
^^^^^
If I use that I won't be "pulling out" of my bindings!

It is a little expensive too.

(Message edited by rson on May 24, 2007)
Old     (thedangcorn)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-24-2007, 3:48 PM Reply   
Someone above said shaving cream... that's one I wouldn't use because I know for a fact it strips wax.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       05-24-2007, 10:22 PM Reply   
not to mention isn't shaving cream not the best thing for the environment???
Not everyone uses lube that I know, I have used soap... didnt seem to harm binders although when I got rid of them they were dried out and cracking some... person that used exclusively soap in a pair of her bindings, I have them for my sisters, they disintegrated... I use newt juice, I got a gallon for like 30 bucks from buywake because I ordered a gallon of their special blend and it wasnt in stock so they just send me the newt juice, I still have nearly 3/4 of a gallon left after 2 years... Its going to last for a long time...
Old     (firemedic)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-24-2007, 11:46 PM Reply   
Moose Juice $15 for a 32 oz spray bottle.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-29-2007, 2:14 AM Reply   
50/50 simple green (env friendly/biodegradeable) and water. Rinses out fast and you slip right in.
Old     (kuz)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-29-2007, 7:46 AM Reply   
I second simple green. I have been using it on the same bindings for 4-5 yrs no problem. And is cheap if you buy a half gallon and use 50/50 as needed with spray bottle. Also great for those accidents that need immediate cleaning in the boat.