Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-07-2005, 6:46 PM Reply   
I ran it and got the oil drain hose out the back of the boat and the oil doesn't drain???

Other the getting the pump....what else can I do?
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-07-2005, 7:15 PM Reply   
ed, let it sit over night it might start to drain. make sure the hose is flat and has no high spots in it. some times I will put a shop vac on it with duck tape around the hose to get it started. Oh ya take the cap off where you fill it it could have a small vacum going on in it. BTW when do I get a pull
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       09-07-2005, 11:54 PM Reply   
How long did you run it for? The oil can take a long time to warm up enough too run out the tube.
Old     (todd_everton)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-08-2005, 2:25 AM Reply   
Try pulling off the oil cap.
Old     (snyper1d)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-08-2005, 6:14 AM Reply   
Make sure there are no kinks in the hose either.
Old    robertt            09-08-2005, 8:37 AM Reply   
I wonder if it would hurt anything to use a leaf blower or shop vac with the hose on the output (blow) side....place it over the cap hole (obviously with the cap removed and a rag to seal it a little) to make a positive pressure inside the engine to force it out quicker.

Would a slight positive pressure hurt anything?

Would a rag stretched over the end of the hose be enough filter to keep contaminants from entering the engine that might be in the blower?

Just a thought, I have heard the pump is a PITA too most of the time.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-08-2005, 9:06 AM Reply   
yeah I tried taking off the cap,no kinks in the hose and ran it for about half an hour...and still nothing then I got the smart Ideato suck it out to get it going.I though I was fast enough not to get oil in my mouth,I was not.

tho I got my oil to drain.
Old     (matt_ostmeyer)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-08-2005, 9:49 AM Reply   
I've never been able to get the drain hose to work by itself - on 4 new boats. What does work, like a CHAMP, is to hook a pump up to the end of the hose and suck it out - IMO gets more oil out than sucking it through the dipstick b/c it comes out the bottom of the oil pan.
Old     (matt_ostmeyer)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-08-2005, 9:51 AM Reply   
you siphoned it by mouth???? Nice work! I'm pretty sure I'd never try that... I like my mouth oil free.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-08-2005, 9:57 AM Reply   
Matt hit the nail on the head!

Run the drain hose out through the bilge like you did and then hook a cheapo hand pump up to the end of the drain hose. With a few strokes of the pump you can help gravity get the oil out.

This worked like a charm for me a few months ago. It gets all of the oil out with very little effort.
Old    robertt            09-08-2005, 10:29 AM Reply   
Ok, I am going to buy a pump then.

My thing is that I would like to be able to change my oil while its on a lift, which prevents me from draining through the bilge hole. With a pump on the drain line, it should be perfect.

Any suggestions on which pump to buy and from where?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-08-2005, 11:01 AM Reply   
I have the one that looks like a bicycle tire pump but has a self contained storage for the oil.

I did mine last night. I was lucky. I opened up the hose, oil came pouring out, done in 30 minutes. Changing oil on the X2 is really simply unless you have Eds problem.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-08-2005, 11:07 AM Reply   
Ed, I was going to tell you to do it that way. But I thought people would think I am more nuts than I already am.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-08-2005, 11:09 AM Reply   
Ed, how does marine grade oil taste compared to non marine? Is there really a difference?
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-08-2005, 11:11 AM Reply   
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=10677&storeId=10001&langI d=-1&catalogId=10001

We bought ours last week from West Marine on sale for $28.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-08-2005, 11:13 AM Reply   
that's the one. But I think I paid more than double that for mine. Ouch...
Old    jayp            09-08-2005, 12:40 PM Reply   
I have changed the oil on the X-2 twice. Both times I used one of those cheap hand pumps because the oil was not flowing and pumped the oil into milk jugs.

The problem came when trying to get the oil filter off. The dealership had the filter on so tight that I broke two oil filter wrenches and had a shredded mess after ramming a screwdriver through it. Had to use a big pair of claw pliers to get it off. Replaced with a K&N.
Old    rtm            09-08-2005, 1:03 PM Reply   
HA HA HA... laughed my a** off ED... not because you did what you did but because I did the same thing on Sunday night...

Never had an issue with it draining when hot... thought I'd do it cool and just let it drain over night... nothing came out... tried the old syphon technique... will tell you one thing... IT TASTES BETTER THAN GAS

Thanks for making me feel better!!! It did work though!!!
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-08-2005, 2:43 PM Reply   
J-rod ~ not sure if there is a differents,never had the problem with my truck not draining oil...smart ass!!

jayp ~ I'm having the same problem you were too,I was thinking of ramming a screwdriver as well but like you said,it going to make a mess!

Any suggestions????
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-08-2005, 2:46 PM Reply   
toe-side ~ you are welcome....for a good laugh and making you feel better.I guess you made me feel better that I wasn't the only one.I guess we are even.
Old    jayp            09-08-2005, 6:15 PM Reply   
Cheap
http://store.yahoo.com/bostonindustrial/5ficloilfipl.html

OK
http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product?storeId=10101&Pr=p_Product.CATENTRY_ID%3A2 007830&TID=8014524&productId=2007830&catalogId=101 01

Good
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=14440&group_ID=1535 &store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

Know someone else had the same problem. They used the same solution. You most likely can buy the tool locally.

K&N replacement for the MCX is HP2002

(Message edited by jayp on September 08, 2005)
Old    1wakedad            09-09-2005, 6:10 PM Reply   
Robert T.......
I helped a friend change her oil on her lift in Dico Bay....just floated the oil bucket in a blowup raft under the boat between the pontoons. Not sure if your lift is the same.....
Old    1wakedad            09-09-2005, 6:11 PM Reply   
oops....Disco Bay
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-09-2005, 6:26 PM Reply   
Thanks jayp last night J-rod came buy and let me use his wrench like oil filter remover and with some struggle I got it off,but I am gonna purchase one like you gave me the link to.

Ohh and thanks for the model # as well.
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-09-2005, 9:11 PM Reply   
i bought one very similar to the cheap one jayp posted at auto zone. just in case you didnt want to order it online.
Old    tea_boy            09-10-2005, 4:10 AM Reply   
The Brit's are just as silly, Big Ed, did the mouth suck bit here, but then again you could say we are used to it over here, as it tasted like our warm ale!
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-10-2005, 7:49 AM Reply   
If you drain the oil when it's hot (right after you get off the water), it should flow better.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-10-2005, 8:47 AM Reply   
Jeff ~ I didn't even put it in the garage...I was trying to drain the oil on the street.Once it go going it only took like half an hour,hour at the most to drain,it was that begining that sucked.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-10-2005, 9:20 AM Reply   
Hey Ed, I got a hand pump/tank. I just need to empty it(yeah I'm lazy, haven't dumped from the last time I changed mine.) Just holler, and you can swing by and pick it up, being I only live down the street. I have an extra one somewhere, I'll give it to you if I can find it.
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       09-10-2005, 9:39 AM Reply   
I used to drain the oil in my old boat through the drain hose that was snaked out the PP paddle wheel hole… too slow! Even if it was warm.

Glad to see other has have the same stuck on filter issue… first time I changed the oil on my old boat… had to break out the huge channel locks. I was not sure the thing was going to come off at all!

If you do have to use a tool to get the filter off… check that the rubber seal is attached to the old filter. Mine was bonded so tight that it ripped if off of the filter. Oh yeah… Be sure and coat the new filter seal with some oil so you won’t have to repeat the same thing in 50 hours!

I have the same pump from west marine. Been draining the oil thought the dip stick hole… have not tried it on the drain hose yet. I always drain the oil after a day of riding now… even after driving home from the lake the block keeps the oil warm enough to pump out with no problem.

For those that change the oil on a boat lift… the pump would work fine.

Next oil change I may have to try sucking the oil out the drain hose to compare.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-10-2005, 5:07 PM Reply   
thanks Jeff that's super cool of you!
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-12-2005, 11:16 AM Reply   
Big Ed,

Make sure the fitting where the drain hose comes off the pan is not angled up? I have never had any trouble with mine, I think it's the same fitting even on PCM's?
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-12-2005, 12:14 PM Reply   
Mikeski ~ not a 100% sure but I believe it came straight down...will check,thanks for the heads up.