Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 23, 2009

Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       02-07-2009, 1:59 PM Reply   
I keep hearing about the drought going on in various regions of California and I've experienced first had some of the problems one can encounter on lakes like Shasta. While one can attribute drought to a lack of precipitation we can also look at the vast system of water redistribution which moves water from natural reservoirs to man-made systems and urban sprawl.

I could harp on about the global warming debate and suggest the theory that small increases in temperatures over large regions affect thermal conditions and alter weather patterns globally (The lake effect in the great lakes area is a hands on demonstration of how anomalous conditions affect regional weather).

Instead I'd like to ask a question of everyone. Never mind the hydrocarbon consumption or other energy consumption issues for a second (yes I know global warming and... extremely large volumes of water are used in the hydrocarbon production processes).

Do you make a concious effort to conserve water? With urban centers drawing water from outsourced systems every dropped saved theoretically reduces the stress on your reservoirs.

Are you concious of when and how you water your lawn, plants, etc?

Do you take excessively long showers? Run the water extra lengths before getting in?

Do you have water saving appliances? Dishwashers, laundering, etc?

Do you do something so simple as stop the tap while shaving and or brushing your teeth?

Oh I know I've heard the argument that water is a renewable source, and while this is true for most cases (fresh water is pumped into confined aquifers in the case of oil production and is also lost in some other industrial processes). But that water comes from areas outside of urban centers. As you draw waters into man-made concrete jungles it has to come from somewhere.

Consider some of the advantages of reduced water consumption.

In some cases it means lower utility bills.

Water saved is water not pulled from our reservoirs.

Less water consumption reduces energy costs associated with transporting, cleaning to drinking standards, and cleaning to waste standards, therefore you have net energy savings.

If you change your watering frequencies (lawn, plants, etc) it reduces water loss to evaporation increasing water uptake and providing healthier greenery.

I'm not asking you to go out and make huge changes. I'm asking you to consider little changes. Enough little changes when you have millions of people add up to significant change.

(Message edited by EternalShadow on February 07, 2009)