Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-25-2007, 12:42 PM Reply   
sorry no video, it was just me and my dad...

first off-i told my dad to slow down since it was first attempt ever and i didn't wanna kill myself
2nd-i took one fall just seeing how hard i needed to lean
3rd-got the balls and went for it
4th-pop, and then i start spinning towards my back
5th-land on upper back and neck whiplashes back

so, what did i do wrong? i think it wasn't looking at the boat and maybe my weight was uneven, but i have star-gazed in awhile...

btw i can throw these perfectly on the trampoline already so thats why i went for it
Old     (wakemandan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-26-2007, 6:21 PM Reply   
Some good news, this is my trick with the highest completion/attempt ratio.

My first attempt i glanced down at the water and threw half an s-bend, landing on my back still extended.

Cut to a year later, and i gave it another attempt, being sure to watch the passenger riding shotgun. I've landed every other one. (with the exception of my blown out knee [ but i still landed it])

Sounds to me as if your hauling ass into the wake, and make sure you look at the boat, you've got it set.
Old     (sunsport)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-27-2007, 11:14 AM Reply   
If you are star gazing you are not putting enough weight on your front foot. When I was learning this move I would do this and get too much speed into the wake causing me to just cut right through it.

Skiing made me board,
Lyle
Chrome Dome Industries
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-27-2007, 1:11 PM Reply   
thanks you guys... ya i used to have a problem with wake jumps by themselves... like 25% of falls were a star gaze, but now like 1/20 falls maybe is a star gaze...

Dan, one question... so you aren't watching the wake to time when to pop? you just edge in looking straight forward? when exactly do you look for the passenger

i'm guessing as you pop off the wake (legs extending)
Old     (wakemandan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-27-2007, 4:31 PM Reply   
http://www.danvargas.com/briton/MVI_1187.avi

If you look at my cut, i'm looking at the wake all the way into the trough (if it were higher resolution, you'd find that my eyes are wide open :-p )

I begin to stand tall in the trough and if you freeze the frame, Im looking into the boat when im hitting the wake.
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-27-2007, 4:55 PM Reply   
sweet, thanks so much, i'll try that next time and hopefully have video to show how it goes

btw have you ever tried this without a tower? i know its possible since the pro wakeboarders/skurfers didn't have a tower back when wakeboarding boats weren't really existant so if you've done it without a tower, any advice about that would be great

thanks!!!
Old     (wakemandan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-27-2007, 6:05 PM Reply   
Nope, Only boat the family has owned is the X-10