Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-02-2008, 12:32 PM Reply   
Hey guys, I have a 2000 Moomba Mobius V. Trailer winch is broken/stripped on the Boatmate trailer. I emailed Boatmate and they said 1,500 lb. capacity is what I need and they want $50 shipped. Does this sound right? Overtons has a 1,600 lb dual drive winch for $34.99. I think the dual drive would be nice because some of the ramps where I ride don't always allow for a smooth descent.
Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-02-2008, 3:02 PM Reply   
Anybody? I think I may go ahead and get the 2000 lb. one just to be safe.
Old     (oshelton)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-02-2008, 6:40 PM Reply   
It depends on how much winching you do. The trailer is intended as a drive-on, so a minimal which is standard. But, some ramps make drive-on difficult and powering onto the trailer is not allowed at some ramps. If you use the winch a lot, go for a higher capacity 2-speed winch.

BoatMate likely will not offer the best price in order to protect the interest of BoatMate dealers. Plus they don't have the volume of an Overtons. However, from BoatMate you can be assured of getting a quality winch in respect to mechanics and finish plating. The 1500# winch comes with a strap & hook as well.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-03-2008, 4:51 AM Reply   
The Boatmate winch will likely be a perfect match (bolt pattern) for your trailer vs a not so perfect match. Maybe not, but if this is the case, I'd rather get the Boatmate.

Jman
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-03-2008, 6:43 AM Reply   
Jman,
I didn't think boatmate makes their own winch? Don't they Fulton winches?
Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-03-2008, 8:00 AM Reply   
Well, I went ahead and ordered the dual drive 2000 lb. capacity winch from Overtons. I figured I might as well upgrade the capacity given the kinds of ramps where I ride. Hopefully it bolts on just like the OEM from Boatmate.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-03-2008, 9:24 AM Reply   
Chasin,
I didn't mean they make their own winches. They do design their trailers to work with the components that they choose to use. When I replaced the tongue jack on my trailer, I could have gotten any kind and used the universal clamps to go around the tongue. Instead, I made sure to get one that would fasten to my existing mount. Look at the picture and you'll see what I mean. See the bracket welded to the frame?

Upload