Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (christopher)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-13-2006, 7:03 PM Reply   
My family decided to go to the lake yesterday and it wasn't the nicest day on the lake so we went to a closer smaller lake here in Idaho... After a couple rides of surfing we had a little problem with a boat driver pulling tubers... We have had jet skiers follow us too closly but eventually they get hurt and stop following us... but never before have we had problems with boats until then... usually they try to avoid hitting our wake at all costs... well this guy couldn't get enough of the wake we were throwing... A couple of times when I was surfing I had the tubers swung within 20 feet or so of me!!! at first it was kind of funny watching this guy almost flip his boat but then it was just ridiculous... I was so pissed I was yelling at the guy trying to get him to back off... finally he did... so I stopped surfing... I was just curious as to laws pertaining to boats and how close is too close??? anyone ever had any problems with this either???
Old    surfdad            08-13-2006, 7:49 PM Reply   
Tubers?! That's freakishly bizarre. I've found the best thing is to stop and motor over to the folks that are getting too close and ask: Do you mind not using our wake for your activity?

It's worked 100% of the time. I've also done that whole yelling thing which seems to just irritate everyone, most of all me!. :-)

In California, we have a general guideline that requires the driver to maintain a safe zone equal to twice the length of the rope. There are also 100 foot restrictions on PWC's for wake jumping.
Old     (cassetteboy777)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-13-2006, 8:45 PM Reply   
the delta is always like this, pretty scary
Old     (dentard)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-13-2006, 9:37 PM Reply   
I seem to relax if I resolve those issues by getting a few rounds off. I carry a shotgun for close range shots, and a rifle for those pwc that jet away. in addition, it's helpfull to become friends with the police force, so it's a phone call away....their on speed dail on my phone by first name.
Old     (dentard)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-13-2006, 9:42 PM Reply   
I intended to type "they're" vs "their" for those grammar checkers.
Old     (lovinpowell)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-14-2006, 3:36 PM Reply   
In Utah if you are within 150 of any object, or shoreline, wakeless speeds are required.