Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (hossdog)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-20-2011, 12:09 PM Reply   
Hi all I am new to the forum and just have a few questions regarding buying a boat. I am currently trying to sell my older sterndrive so I can upgrade to a wake boat. I'll be looking at a newer used VDrive.

When is the best time? Going into the winter the prices are lower, but the selection is not there and I'll have to stare at it all winter. Boat show? Spring?

From a Dealer or Private party? I like having a dealer to back the purchase up, but don't want to deal with pushy salesmen.

Financing? Credit union or dealer?

I know there will be varying opinions on this and I'm not trying to start a war. I just wanted to get some different perspectives from people who have done this a few times.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       10-20-2011, 12:19 PM Reply   
where are you located? I'm half heartedly looking for a friend, and in California I'd argue that right now is the best time. Prices are low(er), there's lots of stuff for sale, and you've got people who'd rather sell than winterize and store, so that provides some room to negotiate.
Old     (rmotoxxx711)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-20-2011, 12:28 PM Reply   
Thru a private party if your going used. Used boat salesmans will not back up purchases well as they use the it's a used boat excuse, once it's yours it's yours. Boat choice all depends on what your going to be doing with it... Big wake riding and wake boarding only? Family wakeboard boat for other watersports? Surfing only? Mainly tubing but some wakeboarding? All these factor into what boat will suit you. I ride an old style super air 210 (2002) and thats primarily because of what comes out the back, the wake. But if I was to go mainly for a family boat for beginner to intermediate wakeboarding I would lean towards a roomier boat to fit more people like a 23 ft malibu, or on the inexpensive side would be a moomba or Calabria.

Weigh your options on what you need out of your purchase amd then figure out one or two boats you want then worry more about your time of yr to start looking
Old     (hossdog)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-20-2011, 2:31 PM Reply   
I'm in Sandpoint, Idaho. I am going to be using the boat mostly for Hydrofoiling. I will surf some and I'm sure friends will be wakeskating and wakeboarding as well. I am on Lake Pend Oriell which can be rough as it is a big lake. I will be shopping for boats 22ft plus and will be looking at hulls with deeper Vs. I will be in the 20-30k range, so with that said I will not limit my search to any one brand. I have already been looking around, but really was interested in timing. I know prices will be higher in the spring, but there will probably be more boats for sale. I don't want to pull the trigger until my boat is sold, but if the right deal came along you never know.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-20-2011, 3:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hossdog View Post
I'm in Sandpoint, Idaho. I am going to be using the boat mostly for Hydrofoiling. I will surf some and I'm sure friends will be wakeskating and wakeboarding as well. I am on Lake Pend Oriell which can be rough as it is a big lake. I will be shopping for boats 22ft plus and will be looking at hulls with deeper Vs. I will be in the 20-30k range, so with that said I will not limit my search to any one brand. I have already been looking around, but really was interested in timing. I know prices will be higher in the spring, but there will probably be more boats for sale. I don't want to pull the trigger until my boat is sold, but if the right deal came along you never know.
olinger marine is in Hayden I believe. All his boats are auction repo boats and I don't think they are known for their after the sale service but if you want a good deal and do your homework on what to check for it may be a good place to look. Boats that you should keep an eye out for are Sanger V230, Moomba XLV, Tige 22v and 24v, Centurion Avalanche and Typhoon. You might be able to find an older mastercraft X30 but I am not sure they really ride well in rough water.

As for time to buy/sell they are opposite of each other. The best time to sell is Spring/early summer and the best time buy is late fall early winter. So you can wait until spring and get more money for your boat but you might pay more for what you buy. You could sell yours now for less but also buy a boat for less. If you were strictly just buying I would say the next 2 months are the best time to buy. The other thing to consider is selling your boat righ tnow might be downright impossible unless you give it away. It will a lot easier to get rid of it if you are trading it in on a boat from a dealer. They aren't going to give you what you want probably but you only pay the tax on the difference between the 2 boats so it isnt' as bad as it originally looks.
Old     (hossdog)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-20-2011, 4:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
olinger marine is in Hayden I believe. All his boats are auction repo boats and I don't think they are known for their after the sale service but if you want a good deal and do your homework on what to check for it may be a good place to look. Boats that you should keep an eye out for are Sanger V230, Moomba XLV, Tige 22v and 24v, Centurion Avalanche and Typhoon. You might be able to find an older mastercraft X30 but I am not sure they really ride well in rough water.

As for time to buy/sell they are opposite of each other. The best time to sell is Spring/early summer and the best time buy is late fall early winter. So you can wait until spring and get more money for your boat but you might pay more for what you buy. You could sell yours now for less but also buy a boat for less. If you were strictly just buying I would say the next 2 months are the best time to buy. The other thing to consider is selling your boat righ tnow might be downright impossible unless you give it away. It will a lot easier to get rid of it if you are trading it in on a boat from a dealer. They aren't going to give you what you want probably but you only pay the tax on the difference between the 2 boats so it isnt' as bad as it originally looks.
Funny you say Olinger. That is where my boat is on consignment now. http://www.olingermarine.com/pre_own...R0&veh=2363876They have a 2006 Tige 24ve with only 80 hours on it that just sold. I went and looked at it and it was pristine. I wish I had pulled the trigger, but it was a bit out of my price range. They also have another one that is a 2005 24v but the interior wasn't in that great of shape. I am looking at the Tiges really close. I like them alot. I like how deep the interior is and they have a reputation for doing well in the chop. I like having the stock trim tab for this reason as well. I was really hoping to sell mine for the down payment so I wouldn't have to take it out of my bank, but I really don't think it will sell until the spring. I had some bites early on, but no love as of late.

I was considering waiting for the boat show in January to see what kind of trades the dealers take in. Don't know if the deals will be any better than now though.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-20-2011, 5:40 PM Reply   
I found last fall/winter that the selection went down a lot but most of the boats I looked at didn't have the prices drop accordingly, as least on the east coast. All of the best deals I have seen were in California, but the 2000+ mile distance made those boats unrealistic choices. Being in Idaho, that' s a far more realistic choice, and don't be afraid to travel a bit for the right boat. California just seemed to have the biggest selection and best prices.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-21-2011, 7:11 PM Reply   
You may also be able to outbid a dealer on a used boat at the boat show.Example i was offered 29k for my old boat but sold it 3 months later for 40k.I was able to save thousands by buying my boat earlier in the year[february] also.If you can float the down payment for a couple of months,then sell your boat it will be worth your while.
Old     (biggsteev)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-04-2011, 12:23 PM Reply   
Check this listing out on boat trader. Looks real clean and close to your budget.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...tion-100517882
Old     (kskonn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       11-08-2011, 2:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hossdog View Post
Funny you say Olinger. That is where my boat is on consignment now. http://www.olingermarine.com/pre_own...R0&veh=2363876They have a 2006 Tige 24ve with only 80 hours on it that just sold. I went and looked at it and it was pristine. I wish I had pulled the trigger, but it was a bit out of my price range. They also have another one that is a 2005 24v but the interior wasn't in that great of shape. I am looking at the Tiges really close. I like them alot. I like how deep the interior is and they have a reputation for doing well in the chop. I like having the stock trim tab for this reason as well. I was really hoping to sell mine for the down payment so I wouldn't have to take it out of my bank, but I really don't think it will sell until the spring. I had some bites early on, but no love as of late.

I was considering waiting for the boat show in January to see what kind of trades the dealers take in. Don't know if the deals will be any better than now though.
Just to throw in my two cents, I had an X30 and it did pretty well in rough water, I have not been in the other boats in rough water so i can't comment. I now have an X2 which is shorter but has a deeper hull, it rides really well in rough water.

The only advice I would give is to focus less on the length and more on the deep hull.