Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-10-2011, 10:02 AM Reply   
Wondering how well the system works? Here is a real life example. Strapping in and starting at McCormicks cable park.

Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-10-2011, 10:58 AM Reply   
Saw it in action at the Chicago Boat Show's rail jam. Haven't had a chance to try it as our lakes are still iced over I'm very interested to check them out though, seems like a great system, especially for cable!
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-10-2011, 12:50 PM Reply   
I wanna see someone do an astro kick with those.

Astro Kick- Front foot is strapped in and back foot is left undone. Go off jump, swing back foot out and get back on board before you land.
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-10-2011, 1:09 PM Reply   
^^^ That sound like wake jump to grinded up shins if you miss.. haha. What's next, stomp pads on our wakeboards??

Does look cool to say the least. I think Slingshots baseless plate bindings would be a similar feel.

If you snowboard and have rode the Burton Channel/EST system it does make a big amount of difference in the flex and feel of the board, as well as give maximum adjustments to your binding placement. Slingshot is on the right path with their board mounting track, and hyperlight is on the right path with their system binding..

Now we just need a merger of those 2 products and we are good to go!!
Old     (mrSteezzz)      Join Date: Jan 2011       03-10-2011, 1:24 PM Reply   
who wants to wear snowboard boots when its 100degrees out... YEAH! not me
Old     (yeahhh)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-10-2011, 2:03 PM Reply   
really mrsteezzz? you think they're really that hot? geez. won't you be in the water???
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-10-2011, 2:06 PM Reply   
i know that these things LOOK like snowboard boots, but that is where the similarities end.

The boots are VERY flexable, not like stiff and thick snowboard boots.

They stay wet, so they will keep your feet cool during high temp day (i only assume this, but if you think it will be colder without them...up to you.). And walking on hot pavement wont burn your feet.
Old     (rivrat)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-10-2011, 5:33 PM Reply   
If your feet get hot take the the boots off. I've ridden these bindings behind the boat an the response and flex of the boat is awesome cant wait to get mine
Old     (rivrat)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-10-2011, 5:43 PM Reply   
Sorry boot not boat
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-10-2011, 9:41 PM Reply   
I'm sure they wouldnt be any hotter than a regular wakeboard binding. I'd love to try them, but as its been said a billion times before, I doubt their practicality for boat riding.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-10-2011, 11:32 PM Reply   
Personally I'm the other way, I doubt the practicality for cable. Most of the cable rats I know (myself included) dont really feel like walking around the lake in boots all day. Another issue for me personally would be all the dirt and mud and crap that would accumulate from walking out of the lake.

However for boat, since you typically only get in and out of your boots once per set than it seems like a non issue to me, ie not much hassle.

Just my 2 cents
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-11-2011, 5:33 AM Reply   
They need to work on the toe straps. I have tried all three boots in the system bindings and the toe straps do not really fit properly in my opinion with any of the boots. Always seems to be some gap or bunching of the strap. You can see it in the video posted above to see what I am am talking about.
Old     (ClutchIndustries)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-11-2011, 6:17 AM Reply   
I noticed the gap issue but found a fix. The strap locations are moveable. Take the innermost toe strap (with the ratchet on it) and move it to the rearward most setting. Leave the outside strap at the foremost setting. This repositions the toe cap over the toe of the boot and relocates the strap at more of an angle across the toe area (filling the toe gap.) In turn I noticed more comfort and support between the boot and binding. This was the remedy with L/XL bindings paired with a 12-13 Murray boot.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-11-2011, 6:35 AM Reply   
I dont see how those wouldnt be awesome for cable. I hate taking my bindings on and off constantly at cable parks, not only does it get annoying but it wears out the binding and strings faster. This system is perfect because you can get out of the water faster, get to the dock faster, and strap in faster with less wear and tear. Now only if they werent $400+
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-11-2011, 6:57 AM Reply   
What higher end binding isn't $400+ these days?
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-11-2011, 8:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesydog View Post
Personally I'm the other way, I doubt the practicality for cable. Most of the cable rats I know (myself included) dont really feel like walking around the lake in boots all day. Another issue for me personally would be all the dirt and mud and crap that would accumulate from walking out of the lake.

However for boat, since you typically only get in and out of your boots once per set than it seems like a non issue to me, ie not much hassle.

Just my 2 cents
And I am thinking the opposite. I would much prefer to wear boots on the walk back, instead of hiking over the dead grass and occasional rock. The dirt and mud and crap is going to accumulate regardless, its just normally on my feet, which I dunk in the water quick before putting my boots on anyway, so moot point for me. With boat riding, I'd much rather just have to do up one set of laces and ride, instead of doing up a set of laces, and then strapping into my board. Not that my time is super valuable or anything, but its just an extra step between me and riding. So there's my 2 cents. And since I'm in Canada, my 2 cents is worth more than yours right now
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-11-2011, 8:27 AM Reply   
None are sadly, if cable was my main source of riding I would definitely puchase a pair but unfortuately i only make it out to a cable about twice a summer
Old     (rawB)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-11-2011, 1:52 PM Reply   
The video made them look like quality to me. I think the toe strap is supposed to "cup" around the front of the boot more than over the top. I see both cable park and boat advantages not stepping on rocks and keeping your feet warm on cold spring and fall days. I have yet to try a pair. Are they comfortable? Narrow feet, wide feet?
I am also surprised Byerly didn't come out with a pair. They seem like his style and he always seems to be on the forefront of the "knees bent snowboard style of riding".

I can't wait to try a pair.
Old     (alevitt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-11-2011, 2:27 PM Reply   
They're so awesome, the crew from Jersey Shore is wearing them.
Attached Images

Old     (yeahhh)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-11-2011, 2:28 PM Reply   
do any of you that have commented on this thread snowboard??
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-11-2011, 4:39 PM Reply   
I don't think a lot of them do hence why they don't think they would work well. As a snowboarder myself I can see these being a great feature. Maybe not for boat so much but for cable I would think The System would be a nice to have. I agree that they should modify the toe strap to be more like the newer style snowboard strap that goes over the tip of the boot which locks the boot down and back opposed to just down.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-11-2011, 6:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahhh View Post
do any of you that have commented on this thread snowboard??
Yes.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-11-2011, 11:04 PM Reply   
The Three Contenders:
A. Hyperlite System and Boots (Marek, Kobalt, Murray)
B. Slingshot RAD
C. CTRL Line of Boots

*** I have not had the opportunity to see any of these in person yet but here are my thoughts based on pictures, video, and other points of views. CTRL, of course I (We) know the least about, so lots of guesses there http://buywake.eu/Default.asp/id,966/index.html

Cable Riding Entry - Slingshot might be quickest. there is only one lace per boot to cinch (granted that the liners are already on and tightened). Hyperlite, two straps per binding. CTRL, assuming two buttons per boot, "The stance angle can be changed by clicking two buttons and rotating your foot on the swivel plate." "You can adjust your stance in seconds and get on and off your board in seconds too." Depending on the exact operation, this might be the fastest way to get you boarding again if it involves no more than just clicking in essentially. All and All I bet all three are pretty close and quick.

Boat Riding Entry - It sounds true that the total time to put on hyperlite's setup is the longest, however they offer a more convenient way to PRE-prepare. You can get your boots on before you reach your wakeboard "spot". As long as someone else is gona ride, you can get you boots on before the rider gets into the boat. Slingshot ought to have a quick entry with one lace pull per boot and the optional interior liner lace. CTRL should offer typical expected entry time... but then again, you could click the boots off and on just like with Hyperlite and get them on before your set. Again, sounds like all three will all be pretty close in their own ways.

Ability to Clean and Stay Clean - Mr. Clean would wear Hyperlite. take the boot off, and wash it, simple. I doubt a little dirt will make getting into the bindings difficult since it is such an open system, it oughta clean itself as you ride. Slingshot, clean em before sticking your foot in the shell, otherwise you will get the shell dirty, and the shell does not come off without tools and time. CTRL the hardware underfoot might require good cleaning and flossing between the teeth before attaching. BUT really, will dirt and mud be that much an issue? All three should rinse easily in water (we got plenty to go around), unless you are dealing with clay type mud... then you will have problems.

Cost/ Life - You can't talk about cost without talking about durability and life. Hyperlite's complete binding-boot setup costs the same as any other high end boot from another brand, $400. the boot alone will be about $300. question is, how long will the boot last? The system binding ought to have an extensive life... It better, because that was obviously the intent of its invention. Slingshot offers new liners for $79 and laces (if broken) for $7.50 http://www.slingshotsports.com/Fins-Accessories, far less than a hyperlite boot, but how long will the RAD shell last in comparison to the system binding? CTRL also offers replacement parts $???.??. with CTRL we see a similar comparison as slingshot to hyperlite. Only time and experience with the product(s) can tell for sure.

Other Thoughts -
I am intrigued by CTRL's method of mounting. very unique. can't wait to see how it REALLY allows the boots to be disconnected in "seconds." CTRL boots kinda remind me of slingshot's 4-hole mounting plate. it apparently offers very quick stance angle adjustment with the use of toothed hardware underfoot. however, it would seem this style departs from the trend (weather desirable or not) of lower/"baseless" boots?

Boot heel and toe lift - hyperlite says they have the answer, slingshot has a bend in the plate that places more pressure on the toe and heel apparently while having side to side flex to preserve flex features in said boards. CTRL ???

I still have yet to hear an answer about the release of hyperlites boots. if you love being "locked in" hyperlite might seem like the best route, if not, then maybe one of the others. i realize it is a preference thing and that a rider can make boots tight or not, BUT can you really leave hyperlite's boot loose and keep the binding tight and create a situation favorable to release on crash? or can you keep the binding loose without loosing control to heel/toe/boot lift/wobble?
Attached Images

Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-12-2011, 9:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakerider111 View Post
The Three Contenders:
A. Hyperlite System and Boots (Marek, Kobalt, Murray)
B. Slingshot RAD
C. CTRL Line of Boots

*** I have not had the opportunity to see any of these in person yet but here are my thoughts based on pictures, video, and other points of views. CTRL, of course I (We) know the least about, so lots of guesses there http://buywake.eu/Default.asp/id,966/index.html

Cable Riding Entry - Slingshot might be quickest. there is only one lace per boot to cinch (granted that the liners are already on and tightened). Hyperlite, two straps per binding. CTRL, assuming two buttons per boot, "The stance angle can be changed by clicking two buttons and rotating your foot on the swivel plate." "You can adjust your stance in seconds and get on and off your board in seconds too." Depending on the exact operation, this might be the fastest way to get you boarding again if it involves no more than just clicking in essentially. All and All I bet all three are pretty close and quick.

Boat Riding Entry - It sounds true that the total time to put on hyperlite's setup is the longest, however they offer a more convenient way to PRE-prepare. You can get your boots on before you reach your wakeboard "spot". As long as someone else is gona ride, you can get you boots on before the rider gets into the boat. Slingshot ought to have a quick entry with one lace pull per boot and the optional interior liner lace. CTRL should offer typical expected entry time... but then again, you could click the boots off and on just like with Hyperlite and get them on before your set. Again, sounds like all three will all be pretty close in their own ways.

Ability to Clean and Stay Clean - Mr. Clean would wear Hyperlite. take the boot off, and wash it, simple. I doubt a little dirt will make getting into the bindings difficult since it is such an open system, it oughta clean itself as you ride. Slingshot, clean em before sticking your foot in the shell, otherwise you will get the shell dirty, and the shell does not come off without tools and time. CTRL the hardware underfoot might require good cleaning and flossing between the teeth before attaching. BUT really, will dirt and mud be that much an issue? All three should rinse easily in water (we got plenty to go around), unless you are dealing with clay type mud... then you will have problems.

Cost/ Life - You can't talk about cost without talking about durability and life. Hyperlite's complete binding-boot setup costs the same as any other high end boot from another brand, $400. the boot alone will be about $300. question is, how long will the boot last? The system binding ought to have an extensive life... It better, because that was obviously the intent of its invention. Slingshot offers new liners for $79 and laces (if broken) for $7.50 http://www.slingshotsports.com/Fins-Accessories, far less than a hyperlite boot, but how long will the RAD shell last in comparison to the system binding? CTRL also offers replacement parts $???.??. with CTRL we see a similar comparison as slingshot to hyperlite. Only time and experience with the product(s) can tell for sure.

Other Thoughts -
I am intrigued by CTRL's method of mounting. very unique. can't wait to see how it REALLY allows the boots to be disconnected in "seconds." CTRL boots kinda remind me of slingshot's 4-hole mounting plate. it apparently offers very quick stance angle adjustment with the use of toothed hardware underfoot. however, it would seem this style departs from the trend (weather desirable or not) of lower/"baseless" boots?

Boot heel and toe lift - hyperlite says they have the answer, slingshot has a bend in the plate that places more pressure on the toe and heel apparently while having side to side flex to preserve flex features in said boards. CTRL ???

I still have yet to hear an answer about the release of hyperlites boots. if you love being "locked in" hyperlite might seem like the best route, if not, then maybe one of the others. i realize it is a preference thing and that a rider can make boots tight or not, BUT can you really leave hyperlite's boot loose and keep the binding tight and create a situation favorable to release on crash? or can you keep the binding loose without loosing control to heel/toe/boot lift/wobble?
I'm actually looking at the rad and system bindings also. Planning on demoing both once I get the boat back on the water. I snowboard, so the system bindings really intrigue me, but I love slingshots products and the rad seems like a great binding.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-12-2011, 10:15 PM Reply   
found another video with some good up-close shots of the system.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Hyperlit.../4/itKx-ayFjyU

there is a good grab and poke done during the video to see the boot and system under an example of some good stress and flexing. just a hint of boot rise on the side for a split second
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-13-2011, 7:36 AM Reply   
When I first saw these I thought they would be great for cable, but doubted their usefulness on the lake. After watching the video, I'm not sure they are good for anything. Entry time does not seem to be better than standard bindings. I'm sure they are much quicker to get off though.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-13-2011, 8:31 AM Reply   
Although the entry time is most likely the same as regular bindings you would have less wear and tear on them because you dont have to keep strapping into the boot part everytime you fall. I bet these bindings would last alot longer than a normal pair if you were a regular at a cable park.
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-13-2011, 9:39 AM Reply   
I saw this system at the shop and I felt the binding looks cheap. As a snowboarder, I would say the bindings look like something I rode over 10 years ago, baseless lowbacks with no cap strap. I think a rear entry Flow design would have been the way to go. There is much room for improvement, but I still don't get the point.

As far as durability, I would say anyone riding cable so much that they destroy their bindings always has a one year warranty and probably buys a new set up every year. During my time snowboarding, I have replaced my bindings more than any other piece of equipment.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-13-2011, 11:30 AM Reply   
They do have a cap strap. And there's a reason regular straps are used more often than the Flow style in the snowboarding world.
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-13-2011, 1:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminp View Post
there's a reason regular straps are used more often than the Flow style in the snowboarding world.
And what is that reason? I would guess it is because flow has a patent. I have rode both and currently ride straps. if HL is marketing the system because it's easier to get in and out, I think they missed the mark. If you like them, enjoy! This isn't my first rodeo and I have seen hyped product come and go.
Old     (watson_134_lf)      Join Date: Nov 2007       03-14-2011, 7:52 AM Reply   
my least favorite part about snowboarding is the binding to boot connection.
I love wakeboard boots because the response is so much greater because you are dealing with a direct connection to the board.
Also, no matter how good your bindings are, when making a toeside edge, the back of your boot will always come away from the highback, and the only thing that you are pressing on is the ankle strap.
I'm not nocking the system (because I havent tried it), I'm just saying that I wish I could use my wakeboard boots to snowboard in.

I ride 32 lashed boots and Union force bindings when I snowboard (not going out on a limb when I say thats one of the best setups on the market. I work in a snowboard shop if that boosts my credibility at all) and I still do not get the same response that I do out of my wakeboard bindings.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-14-2011, 8:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by watson_134_lf View Post
my least favorite part about snowboarding is the binding to boot connection.
I love wakeboard boots because the response is so much greater because you are dealing with a direct connection to the board.
Also, no matter how good your bindings are, when making a toeside edge, the back of your boot will always come away from the highback, and the only thing that you are pressing on is the ankle strap.
I'm not nocking the system (because I havent tried it), I'm just saying that I wish I could use my wakeboard boots to snowboard in.

I ride 32 lashed boots and Union force bindings when I snowboard (not going out on a limb when I say thats one of the best setups on the market. I work in a snowboard shop if that boosts my credibility at all) and I still do not get the same response that I do out of my wakeboard bindings.
I dont' exerpince my heel lifting away from my binding wiht my RIde Team bindings. I actually feel like I get more control through the snowboard boot set up than I do with the wakebaord set up. I think a large part of it is the four hole snowboard vs the two hole wakeboard set up.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-14-2011, 8:46 AM Reply   
I can put my 5 year old Byerly w/boas on in about the same time as the guy in the video. I used to have some bindings about 10 years ago that had snowboard type straps that were just as fast. I really don't see how this is a speed increase over most anything I see people using.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-14-2011, 11:10 AM Reply   
I think this type setup will provide better response. The idea that a wakeboard binding has better response than a snowboard is kinda silly. A wakeboard boot doesn't face the resistance that a snowboard boot/binding does (ie water vs. frozen water). I think that if you tried to snowboard in wake boots you would fall on your face.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-14-2011, 12:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
And what is that reason? I would guess it is because flow has a patent. I have rode both and currently ride straps. if HL is marketing the system because it's easier to get in and out, I think they missed the mark. If you like them, enjoy! This isn't my first rodeo and I have seen hyped product come and go.
The reason is a lack of response. K2 has a similar system to Flow (the Cinch binding), and it also doesnt have the same response as traditional straps. I'm not saying there is no hype to the System, but I dont believe that all the hype isnt true.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-15-2011, 12:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
I can put my 5 year old Byerly w/boas on in about the same time as the guy in the video. I used to have some bindings about 10 years ago that had snowboard type straps that were just as fast. I really don't see how this is a speed increase over most anything I see people using.
speed is not hyperlites focus with the system. Heck, i don't think anything will be faster to put on then the ol-school wrap style boots. no laces, straps or anything to fiddle with after stepping in. as long as your feet were wet, the boots broken in, and you knew the right way to put it on then you could get both on in 10 seconds... maybe less. when it comes to Modern bindings, the fastest would be velcro strap boots (i.e. vantage). the system, in a sense, ought to be about as fast as the vantage boots. two ratchet straps per binding (granted the boot is already on and tight) vs. two velcro straps per boot. sounds about the same to me.

the focus with the system is: strength, response, and comfort >> "unmatched strength, support, and response into the binding itself without sacrificing comfort" http://hyperlite.com/PRODUCT/WAKEBOA...n-s/The-System

being able to walk around without worries of what you might step on or in is another great feature. not sure if it was a focus hyperlite originally had when making the system, but it is going to be something people will talk about and use as a factor to buy the system. if you don't worry about the terrain you walk on then you have endless choices of course... or you could buy a size too large and wear neoprene booties and create your own removable liner-type thing similar to slingshot

Last edited by wakerider111; 03-15-2011 at 12:38 AM.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-15-2011, 12:50 AM Reply   
it will also be interesting to see who REALLY has the lightest boot/binding this year, as that is another highlight of the hyperlite system, slingshot RAD, and many others.

Last edited by wakerider111; 03-15-2011 at 1:00 AM.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-15-2011, 10:03 AM Reply   
on another thought. Hyperlites system and CTRL's line of boots will allow people to share boards easily, even if they have different sizes or different model of boots (ex. say one rider prefers the marek boot another prefers kobalt boot) This would be especially nice for camps and rental gear i bet
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-15-2011, 11:22 AM Reply   
....... no one has brought up the most important factor here! Imagine the tan-lines. haha.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-15-2011, 1:40 PM Reply   
This whole "super light" binding fad/marketing gimmick really hurts those who ride a lot. Bindings are without a doubt the weakest link in everyone's (I ride with) quiver of things they need to regularly replace. I would much rather have a binding that can last over half a season without: lifting the heel off the board, bending the baseplate(s), losing velcro adhesiveness or general materials breakdown....than have some crappy binding that weighs 3 ounces less that lasts less than a month.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-15-2011, 3:07 PM Reply   
does nick davies use these when he rides cable?
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-15-2011, 4:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidmx View Post
This whole "super light" binding fad/marketing gimmick really hurts those who ride a lot. Bindings are without a doubt the weakest link in everyone's (I ride with) quiver of things they need to regularly replace. I would much rather have a binding that can last over half a season without: lifting the heel off the board, bending the baseplate(s), losing velcro adhesiveness or general materials breakdown....than have some crappy binding that weighs 3 ounces less that lasts less than a month.
Lighter is key in both wakeboarding and snowboarding, but you have to do it while making it resilient. I think they are working in that direction, much in the same way snowboarding has. There is more money and more technology in snowbaording, it makes sense to follow suit and learn from their mistakes and achievements.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-15-2011, 6:25 PM Reply   
I just want to see a regular cable rider at my lake buy one and observe how it goes. So far they have been available in the cable pro shop for over a month and nobody has taken the plunge which I find interesting.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-15-2011, 10:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristian View Post
....... no one has brought up the most important factor here! Imagine the tan-lines. haha.
haha. that is funny, but at the same time, the tops of my feet burn easily and they are easily forgotten too when it comes to applying sun-screen. won't have to worry about those burns anymore. haha
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-16-2011, 6:44 AM Reply   
As someone who snowboards I'm just wondering why the high back is so small.
I would think that a taller high back would be more comfortable and responsive?

Has anyone tried Burton EST bindings or Flow binding on a wakeboard with the Hyperlite boots?

P.S. English (kristian) has a valid point....... tan lines!!!!!!
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-16-2011, 12:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane View Post
As someone who snowboards I'm just wondering why the high back is so small.
I would think that a taller high back would be more comfortable and responsive?
Its because the Kobalt boot (JD's) is so short. It would be extremely uncomfortable to have a taller highback with those boots. And the point of them is to be a soft boot that allows a lot of tweaking, which often ends up meaning less response. On the stiffer Marek and Murray boots, the boots themselves are stiff enough that the smaller highback is enough. Hence, short highback.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-16-2011, 9:42 PM Reply   
it is interesting to note that the riders who endorse the system and have respective pro models boots for it are not riders that focus on cable/park riding (with exception to JD). but as I mentioned before, being able to walk around in the boots was probably not a major driving focus and inspiration behind the system, but a nice added important feature nonetheless.

Slingshot's boots are similar. originally the removable liner was intended for easy heat molding but evolved over the years to be made specifically for walking around in if desired as in the RAD boot.
Old     (tom_paz)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-18-2011, 3:39 PM Reply   
hey guys, just got done with my first boat set with the systems yesterday, and after just one ride, I am totally hooked!

the single biggest difference is by far the response and edge-to-edge factor, and it feels supercharged compared to traditional boots. literally INSTANT response while maintaining all the control, comfort and support. the reason the highback is smaller than a snowboard binding is so you can flex and tweek grabs with ease. it is hard to really describe the control and response difference in these boots without actually riding behind the boat with them

i rode them at a few boat show rail jams this winter and the quick in/out was amazing especially in the sub 40 degree water. anyways, that is not even close to doing them justice. most people think they will only be practical for cable, but that is not the case! it took me under 60 seconds to get in the boots AND bindings while strapping in at a cool calm pace. i felt like my release from the wake was rock solid and felt crazy pop (boots that flex less will not absorb as much energy from the wake). and this was my first set in 5 months. I could not feel one ounce of heel or toe lift. im sure there was probably some if you were to actually measure, but there was absolutely no NOTICABLE lift when riding. none.

I have always ridden the stiffest boots out there from any company, and even my old watsons, cells and mareks would eventually get soft and turn into mashed potatoes after about 2 months of solid riding (and yes i have bent the baseplates on all said boots). there was no getting around it. now granted I ride 95% boat, so a cable rider, who enters/exits a pair of boots 1000x more, will know exactly what i mean. But since the support is all in the binding (even if the boots are soft or get soft over time), all you would need to do is just a few more clicks on the strap. needless to say I am stoked on them and cannot wait to shred again!

I am headed down to orlando in one week and will give them a severe cable test. if it goes anything like the boat test, then they will get another thumbs up with a sh*t eating grin from me.

hope this review was helpful, most importantly, get out and ride them if you have any doubts!
Old     (bwake)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-27-2011, 2:38 AM Reply   
Hi Tom,

Awesome review. I went and tried some on in a shop and felt that they were flimsy. That said my current boots are for sale and i will probably buy the system when they sell.

What boots did you ride? I tried on the JD's as thats all the shop had, but would like to try the mareks as they are just a bit stiffer.

I have CWB answers at the moment and my foot comes half way out of the binding. One hell of a lot more painfull than staying in it.
Old     (dud77)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-10-2011, 7:44 AM Reply   
I hate these boots. I tried them 4-5 times and they suck. I've been riding for 10 years and these are by far my worst wakeboarding purchase. They completely change the feel of the board. The toe strap doesn't work properly I adjusted it every way possible, still have big gaps to the boots. My boots are 11's my bindings are X/XL. It takes longer to take them on and off then normal bindings. I like the feel of my old bindings way better. I have switched these out and they are just sitting in my garage.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-10-2011, 7:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dud77 View Post
I hate these boots. I tried them 4-5 times and they suck. I've been riding for 10 years and these are by far my worst wakeboarding purchase. They completely change the feel of the board. The toe strap doesn't work properly I adjusted it every way possible, still have big gaps to the boots. My boots are 11's my bindings are X/XL. It takes longer to take them on and off then normal bindings. I like the feel of my old bindings way better. I have switched these out and they are just sitting in my garage.
Did you actually ride in them and hit some jumps? I had the gap between my toe and toe strap, but after a couple jumps my foot slid forward and now they fit perfect. What it was is that I wasn't strapping the top strap tight enough and pulling the heel plate forward. THey do change the feel of the board, but I found it to be for the better, edges take far less effort. I have the mareks which are really stiff back and forward, but give good lateral movement
Old     (ilboarder12)      Join Date: May 2009       05-10-2011, 10:04 AM Reply   
i picked up the murrays a couple weeks ago and have gotten sets in behind the boat. i have to agree the response edge to edge is as someone put it in here "supercharged." of course someone people will hate the idea, but those coming from the snowboard background such as myself this system makes a whole lot more sense. plus there is a lot of room to improve and the technology is already there just steal it from the snowboard industry just like the flex patterns and I channels. i would love to see 32, and some of the other good boots brands get into this market.

@jon doe (kane), i use my burton missions bindings with my murrays. here's the thread for that: http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=787379
Old     (utsawake)      Join Date: May 2011       05-10-2011, 3:29 PM Reply   
Im looking into these for the idea of added support and keeping my feet in the boot on nasty front edge falls. I broke my ankle pretty bad when my foot came halfway out of the boot and twisted. These seem to bring a little more support and better anchoring for that not to happen. I currently have shanes pro model boots and still come halfway out of them when the fall is bad enough. I really like the idea of just having to enter the boots once then strap in everytime. My boots take a serious beating from getting in and out of them 30+ times a day at the cable.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-10-2011, 6:50 PM Reply   
I'm not hating on the System bindings but I will say this, try it before you buy it.

It is definitely not everyones taste, they are way different than all the other binding systems in terms of feel. Also I know it has been said a bunch of times here how everyone feels they are great for cable. In my experience they are not. I had a few issues, one noticeable thing is when you are cutting hard for air tricks, when you scoop, the back plate has a tendency to hit the water which can really throw you off. Another is I find it sucks swimming back in your boots, also I didn't like walking around in them either. Lastly, and this is really a personal thing, but I didn't like the feeling of all this hardware on my feet, just feels more cumbersome than necessary. I'm sure you get used to that though.

Anyway like I said, don't let me discourage you but would definitely recommend a test run before committing.
Old     (dud77)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-13-2011, 6:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjh1669 View Post
Did you actually ride in them and hit some jumps? I had the gap between my toe and toe strap, but after a couple jumps my foot slid forward and now they fit perfect. What it was is that I wasn't strapping the top strap tight enough and pulling the heel plate forward. THey do change the feel of the board, but I found it to be for the better, edges take far less effort. I have the mareks which are really stiff back and forward, but give good lateral movement
I took a couple sets each time I road and it did not help at all. I have the mareks as well. I agree the edges feel easier to get but it also feels way less forgiving. The board doesn't release at all until you are fully out of the water so it feels really sticky like your riding with 20 fins.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-13-2011, 11:58 AM Reply   
I didn't notice it locking in like that, but I ride a Lyman and it's really loose on the water as is.