Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 05, 2008

Old     (kimmy)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-29-2008, 4:09 PM Reply   
I am thinking of selling my permit at Shasta Lake and moving my houseboat to the Delta. But I do not know of any marinas that I could moor it at. I would prefer somewhere close to Discovery Bay area since I live in Pleasant Hill. So WW's let me know if you know of any good places. I would want a large spot to back it out of since it is 53 feet long. Now think about it would't it be so fun to have my boat on the water then we all can stay on the Delta all weekend long.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-29-2008, 4:19 PM Reply   
uhhh... do you need somebody to live on it to make sure it is safe and everything?
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-29-2008, 4:44 PM Reply   
keep that thing at shasta. its a much better place to go houseboating at than the dirty d of all places. unless you need the money. i know permits go for at least a 100,000 depending on the lake. the delta is dirt cheap if no cost at all.
Old     (kimmy)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-29-2008, 5:07 PM Reply   
Kinda need the cash Jason.....but my biggest issue is that it is hard to get people to come up to Shasta. It's the long drive, for me I am used to it and it's not long for me, but it's hard to get a wakeboard boat to come up just for a weekend. I want to use it more and I think on the Delta it would be. I am in the thinking process right now about it. Been trying to sell it for 2 years but people can't afford houses so how can they afford a HB. Also if I did have it on the Delta I was thinking about living on it and saving the cost of rent.
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       05-29-2008, 5:41 PM Reply   
they have some spots over at holland tract. Thats right near orwood its in brentwood/oakley. its easy to get to by car and wouldnt be so bad of a commute back over the hill. Not sure about the size of the area though.
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-29-2008, 6:03 PM Reply   
I'm not sure Holland will accomodate a 53' HB. Mine is 42' and it sticks out a bit from most of the others. I also had it in Cruiser Haven, which is a great location next to Railroad. Both marinas operated by the same company.
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-29-2008, 6:37 PM Reply   
Village West (Garlic Brothers)
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-29-2008, 7:38 PM Reply   
sell it and buy a house on the delta
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-29-2008, 8:51 PM Reply   
billy has it right. i would sell it and buy a house in dosco. you can get on the water right now for around 4 for a fixer uper. kind of a dump but if you put the work into it its a gold mine. plus its on the water. actually a house sold the other day for 180,000. it wasnt a house but a condo that had a community doeck
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       05-29-2008, 8:59 PM Reply   
actually as of yesterday when looked at the mls there were no homes on the water under 400k only a few around that are on the lake but there are several townhouses on the water w/ dock and a few condos under 3ook w/ community docks.
Old     (denystaucd)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-31-2008, 3:36 PM Reply   
Turner cut and tikki lagoon have large dock spaces for houseboats.
cheers...
Old     (zipe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-31-2008, 9:12 PM Reply   
Cruiser Haven is the only option for a boat that big close to Disco. I had a 47' for five years at Herman and Helen's. I intended to move it to a lake, but fell in love with the Delta and kept it here for the same reason - I would use it more if it was closer. If you want to go to Stockton area, Tiki, Village West, or Paradise Point are your best bet. Where ever you land, check with the marina how many live aboards are on the dock that you would be. On one hand, it is nice to have people keeping an eye out on the boat, on the other hand you get some characters that live on boats. I met the true definition of "River Rat" living next to my boat!

As far as living on, that was something that I thought about, or at least considered as an option if all went south...that idea quickly changed! It seems like a good idea till you spend quite a bit more time through some storms on the boat.

There are a lot of marinas that are dumps, so do some research and scope them out.
Old     (gitair77)      Join Date: Sep 2001       06-01-2008, 5:57 PM Reply   
I have a 47' at Holland Riverside, sticks out from under the cover a bit. Very close to all good water for boarding and 10 minutes for Disco, via Orwood. There are uncovered that are larger. I would look into it for sure. Holland has a ramp and a store, but no gas.
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-01-2008, 6:17 PM Reply   
Hey Kimmy, Our family did the same move. I know the northern Delta pretty well and I would tell you to consider Kings Island, Tower Park, Paradise Point or Herman & Helens. Some people will tell you to go to the south toward Discovery Bay, and that is cool. But the north area has a lot of action. There is Lost Isle, The Loop, and a lot of funky marinas.

The biggest differanc between Shasta and the Delta is Shasta is way cleaner and the Delta has a lot going on. Email me if you want to talk some more.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-02-2008, 4:54 AM Reply   
I would echo Tom regarding King Island, there are a bunch of places for sale out there right now. They have gotten squared away with the State and you're right on one of the most wind protected spots on Old River and about a 1/4 mile from Vic.
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-02-2008, 9:19 AM Reply   
hijack (sort of)

Rich how do you find out about houses for sale at kings? Any other way besides just floating by?

end hijack
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-02-2008, 1:55 PM Reply   
Stop by there and talk to Ed the caretaker, he's almost always there. He represents (and is one of) the island's owners. He can tell you what's up. I actually heard about the places for sale the other night at Orwood where I ran into an old buddy who has a place there. The way it works is you own your structure and do a yearly lease for the lot you're on. There's no formal listings anywhere that I know of however.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-02-2008, 4:30 PM Reply   
53 feet.....

Is that 53 feet from the tip of the bow all the way to the very back, including engines, slides, swim platform, etc?

How wide is the boat? Is it rectangular, or does the bow have a bit of a point?

The reason I ask is that the largest covered slips that I know of are 50 feet long but the corners are cut by ~ 2 feet. Not a problem if your bow is pointy but if you have a pontoon boat that is essentially a rectangle it makes two feet unusuable.

Some marinas will allow you to hang out a few feet but be aware that the part hanging out is in harms way.

If you don't care about the slip being covered there are a few places where a side tie is available. How easily does your boat manuever?

Places that come to mind are:

Willow Berm
Tiki Lagun
Turner Cut
Paradise Point.

Rod
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-02-2008, 5:01 PM Reply   
nEwJ -- Drive around the island and you'll probably see for sale signs on a few lots. Or if you talk to Ed he would probably know whats for sale. He lives in the actual house on the backside of the island. It's a great place, we own lot 2 which is the first lot on the right as you come into the lagoon.

We also have a website which is barely ever updated.
http://www.kingsisland-ca.com/index.html
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-02-2008, 5:42 PM Reply   
Thanks Rich and David I think its one of the nicest areas around the south delta. Any progress on a new "no power turns" sign?