Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (BlazeSr)      Join Date: Dec 2012       12-07-2013, 9:29 PM Reply   
So I did not winterize my boat. I was told with my furnace and water heater in the attached garage your fine. I have set a cup of water on the trailer a few nights and never seen any ice in it. But norm it is only 30deg outside. Tonight is supposed to be 7deg. Will that make a differance?
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       12-07-2013, 11:04 PM Reply   
Why even take the risk? It's cheap insurance just to winterize rather than take the word of someone who told you so. I know what I am saying right now won't make a difference, unless you can pull plugs quite check, but tonight temps are going to be unusually brutal. BTW, saw you're in Oregon. It's 1 Degree here in Eugene right now... Brr.
Old     (BlazeSr)      Join Date: Dec 2012       12-07-2013, 11:16 PM Reply   
Well I put a shop light in the motor compartment. Like you say why risk it. Maybe next year I will re think my plan.
Old     (Shane10p)      Join Date: Jul 2013       12-07-2013, 11:19 PM Reply   
Never winterized my VTX when it was in my garage all winter , sounds similar to your situation. if your that worried throw a space heater in there for a couple hours in the evening to warm it up a bit .
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       12-08-2013, 6:01 AM Reply   
Check this thread out.. It will answer a few questions..

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/m...21/392888.html
Old     (nelson)      Join Date: Jan 2009       12-08-2013, 7:48 AM Reply   
Depends on the garage and how well its built also. It's -21 in Bend and mine garage got down to 45 last night that is the coldest I have ever seen my garage. I never winterized my boats if they stayed in the garage and never had any problems.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       12-08-2013, 10:34 AM Reply   
Around -10 here in MN last night. I just glanced at the temp in my garage now at noon. It's at 24 degrees right now. I don't imagine it got much lower than that last night. This is an attached garage with only insulated ceiling, it's not the most air tight unit either. I'm sure your fine. Get a temperature gauge for your garage. A tad more scientific than a cup of water.

But... Pulling the block and manifold plugs is easy work.
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       12-08-2013, 11:28 AM Reply   
I'm in SW WA - it was 13 last night. Colder than I can ever remember it getting to. I am in the same situation but garage is insulated. Mounted cheapo thermometer on garage wall so I could check it at a glance. Temp is 45 in the garage. But I also put a drop light in the engine compartment for good measure. Weather should warm up by Wednesday.
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-08-2013, 2:36 PM Reply   
A big part of it depends on how your house is built. At my parents house, the garage rarely freezes, but it typically happens about once a year. We know because the dog's water bowl would have to be broken open. THeir garage has no living space above it and has 3 sides that are exterior walls. My garage, on the other hand, has not frozen in the time I've had it. I've got living space above the garage, as well as on 2 sides. The windows also face south. It stays nice and toasty. I work out their regularly in the cold months, and it's plenty warm. That being said, I wouldn't leave the boat in there all winter full of water. If I was going to do that, I'd probably build a wall to segregate a stall for the boat from the rest of the garage, as if someone opens the garage door in the evening, it takes a long time for the thing to heat back up.
Old     (BlazeSr)      Join Date: Dec 2012       12-08-2013, 2:49 PM Reply   
Thanks all, for the input.
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       12-08-2013, 4:01 PM Reply   
I am spoiled. I keep it set at 50 but i also drained the block for safe measure.

Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       12-08-2013, 5:39 PM Reply   
My garage is insulated but not heated. I always leave cups of water just to see if they freeze and none have and its been -13 for the past few nights. My boat is winterized but I was curios which is why I left the water out. Your heater core if you have one will be the most sensitive, in my opinion. Last winter we had bad freeze early may and my boat was outside full of water. I threw a 1500 watt heater / fan in the rear compartment with the engine divider removed and some seats off to let it circulate and it was fine. Boat was covered

Last edited by racer808; 12-08-2013 at 5:43 PM.
Old     (BlazeSr)      Join Date: Dec 2012       12-08-2013, 6:59 PM Reply   
Funny about the heater core.
When I bought my boat, the core was gone and just looped back. Prob cuz the reason you just stated. I want to replace it, the wife would have liked it when I dragged her out to pull me on those cold evenings. I think there like $100.
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-08-2013, 8:04 PM Reply   
Get a remote temperature monitor. If you see it dipping on an unusual day go out there with a space heater. However unless you are riding in the winter I would just drain the block. Not tough.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       12-09-2013, 5:46 AM Reply   
Pretty neat temp switch for a compartment heater..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0006U2HD2
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-09-2013, 7:28 AM Reply   
If you drain the water there is nothing to freeze.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-09-2013, 6:47 PM Reply   
Yeah and it takes all of 10 minutes.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-09-2013, 8:39 PM Reply   
Only 1 gallon total came out of all 6 plugs and strainer on my GT-40. Go figure.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-09-2013, 9:23 PM Reply   
Ryan, where do you live? If you're close to Portland I can winterize it for you. This is the 2nd boat I've seen in as many days...Solid ice
Attached Images

Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       12-10-2013, 5:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel View Post
Ryan, where do you live? If you're close to Portland I can winterize it for you. This is the 2nd boat I've seen in as many days...Solid ice
Oooooof. That's not going to end well...
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-10-2013, 5:42 AM Reply   
holy **** lol
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-10-2013, 5:23 PM Reply   
It has been minus whatever the past few nights here in Colorado and the daytime highs were single digits and my garage was sitting at 39 degrees. My exterior walls are insulated but no heater and just a wood door. Just depends on how your garage is attached to your house and how good the insulation is.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       12-10-2013, 6:40 PM Reply   
Man if that hose is froze solid the block is toast!!!!!!!!

No need to winterize now!! Order a short block instead!!
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-10-2013, 8:53 PM Reply   
Most likely will need manifolds too. Boat is thawing, will run in a few days and assess the damage
Old     (BlazeSr)      Join Date: Dec 2012       12-10-2013, 9:37 PM Reply   
I'm in salem, I am capible of pulling blue plugs. I feel my garage is typically warm enough. I used a drop light during the couple nights we had in the single digits.

No way that hose came off a boat stored in a norm house/garage in Portland???
Old     (jbird)      Join Date: Jun 2011       12-10-2013, 11:40 PM Reply   
Not only freezing, but leaving raw lake/river water in your engine over a period of time could yield deposits in passageways, and growths of different sorts!
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-11-2013, 7:54 PM Reply   
If I was the owner of that boat Id want to throw-up
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       12-12-2013, 7:17 AM Reply   
the new garage door opener I got this summer has a temp gauge in it so I actually know how cold my garage gets each night. It's been in the single digits here for weeks it feels and the garage has never gotten below 40. It's an attached garage, no connection to houses hvac system and nothing in the garage that generates heat. I do know the garage walls are insulated though. With the heat off in our house for a week one winter, our pipes in the garage ceiling burst.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       12-12-2013, 8:21 AM Reply   
My garage was 28 this morning, it's a big 3 car attached with no living space above and only 1 side connected to house, walls are insulated though. It hasn't gotten above 20 here in a week though and was -1 last night with a decent wind. I've thought about cutting in a hotair duct from my house system that will blow in the garage thinking I wouldn't need to winterize but all it takes is my kids leaving the door open 1 day when it's only 5degrees outside and I'd be screwed.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-14-2013, 8:17 AM Reply   
Well the boat in the pic above has had one freeze plug replaced and it's been ran a few times on a hose. So far so good. True water test Monday. Cross your fingers.
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-14-2013, 11:23 AM Reply   
Wow, that's incredible. Surprised the manifolds aren't toast. How do things like the water pump, trans cooler, and fuel cooler take a freeze like that?
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-17-2013, 6:04 AM Reply   
We've replaced many manifolds, mostly from getting too hot. One freeze plug and a heater core later and she is as good as new! Ran hard on the water yesterday, winterized, going back to hibernation
Old     (BlazeSr)      Join Date: Dec 2012       12-17-2013, 9:41 PM Reply   
Good to hear. You never did say wher that boat was being stored when the freeze happened.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       12-18-2013, 8:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexlex01 View Post
Only 1 gallon total came out of all 6 plugs and strainer on my GT-40. Go figure.
Are you sure no drains are plugged with sand/rust/debris? A 351w and manifolds/hoses/etc. should hold more than a gallon total
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-18-2013, 11:47 PM Reply   
Ryan, just saw this. Boat is stored at a non-heated storage unit in town. Had a 5.0L I/O come in stored outside not so lucky