Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (daxxruckus)      Join Date: May 2008       06-13-2008, 2:15 PM Reply   
This has been discussed to death, I understand that. I'm not trying to spark another discussion back and forth regarding who should pay, how much, etiquette, etc.

None of that is an issue for me any more, because I finally had to instate a solid rule for anyone riding with us - $20, cash, up front. Gas has hit $4.70 in San Diego, so I can't afford to be generous anymore. If they don't pay, they don't get on the boat. I just can't afford the gas prices, and will not deal with the "I don't have cash, etc" bullsh*t anymore.

I hate to be so strict about it, but I pay for boat, insurance, lend out my gear, everything, and I own my boat with my twin brother, so we always ride together and our girlfriends are always down to be a 3rd or fourth, so I really don't need anyone else to go ride. I can pay for gas, and use it myself.

So, simple question. What are gas prices in your area, and what is that causing you charge people?
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-13-2008, 2:18 PM Reply   
It's 3.89 here. I have a 1982 Ski Nautique and I dont ask for gas money. I usually do get enough to pay for half the gas for the day at the lake, but i'm fine with that. I have no bills to pay and put in a 50 hour week at work to pay for the lake and parties on the weekend, that's what I choose to do with my money. But since I am the guy that brings everyone to the lake, unlimited alcohol for me at the parties. Not a bad tradeoff.
Old     (texasmasterc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-13-2008, 2:20 PM Reply   
Damn is it a boat or a money making company...

If you have to ask for gas money then maybe owning a boat isn't for you.

I think since my ARM went up, I am going to charge people that enter my house and sit on my couch a mandatory 10$.
Old     (billspin)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-13-2008, 2:22 PM Reply   
You could always install a fuel flow meter on the boat and charge according to what each rider uses. It is somewhat enlightening to see exactly how much gas the different riders use based on the speed and time riding. This way a rider pays for what they use. A very simple solution to a controversial topic.
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-13-2008, 2:24 PM Reply   
also, if you have to ask people for money everytime before you even take the boat out, and they constantly make excuses, time for some new friends. Trust me when you own a boat everyone's your "friend" but you'll find certain ones that will pay you everytime without you asking and they are the ones that are your true friends.
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       06-13-2008, 2:30 PM Reply   
200.00 to fill my boat yesterday got to love it, charging people? I don’t really, only for someone that wants to ride behind the boat for an hour or so, I bought the boat for a reason and that is to have fun, If I can’t have fun on it then I don’t need it, some friends kick in and some don’t, I don’t ask, but most of my friends only get to go out once or twice a year, so to charge them, I just couldn’t do it, It’s a great family tool, If it cost 200.00 for the weekend then so be it, I hate the price of gas, I hate having to pay double than what it was last year, but what the F can you do about it? write a spoof email to someone in the stock market and tell them to sell their shares on crude oil, cause you heard that the price of oil is going to go down fast, sell why you can, then everybody gets word and sells also, then watch the price go down when everybody sells, wasn’t that in a movie somewhere?
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-13-2008, 2:37 PM Reply   
yeah the whole $200 + fill up thing is killing me. Well, not really. being injured i only been out a handful of times this season and only to wakesurf. i guess it's like my cousin said the other day when i bitched about the gas prices. he said well at least if your burning that gas you know your having fun. Keep in mind he has 07 malibu barefooter with a 40 gal tank so its not like he is burning as much gas as a wake boat.
Old     (daxxruckus)      Join Date: May 2008       06-13-2008, 2:38 PM Reply   
Thanks Ken, you bought your boat for fun, and that was my point, I go out and use the boat for the reason I bought it for: to wakeboard. I can hang out with my friends at home for free. I can pay for all of my own gas and use it myself, and I purchased a wakeboard boat for the sole purpose of wakeboarding as much as humanly possible.

I expect responses like yours james, and I appreciate that, I'm just seeing how other people are coping with the prices, and what they are expecting (maybe not requiring) people to pitch in.

I agree with you too, Brandon - thats why I'm doing this. Unfortunately, my friends aren't the best with contributing money. This is also because my brother and I were the first to get into boating, and very few of them have been around boating at all, so they aren't of the mentality that it costs them anything to just show up and ride.
Old     (drilldaddy78)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-13-2008, 2:51 PM Reply   
Just tell them tough Let them sit at the dock a few times with their sad looks on their faces and youll prob see some friends come up with some cash a little more frequently. I personally dont worry about it but thats my choice. If my friends pitch in they do if not, thats cool too. If its a tight month for me and they arent coughing up much money tho ill simply tell them the lake will have to wait till I have the cash. Usually when thats said my buddies come up with enough to cover the whole weekend. Most others around here i think charge like 15-20 per person riding so I think youre pretty right on with what youre asking
Old     (tigerules)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-13-2008, 2:56 PM Reply   
I pay for gas in the tow truck and the boat payments, one guy in the crew pays for the boat gas, and another guy pays for food. If we have extra people then one guy pays for boat gas, one for food for lunch from the grocery store and another for dinner at the bar for all of us. They switch it around every week. My crew kicks butt!
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-13-2008, 2:57 PM Reply   
When my parents ask me to take them out on my boat with some of their friends.... They want to give me about 80.00 a couple... that would have been 240.00 All we did was pleasure ride and let them swim and hang out.... We probably spent 100 in fuel. I told them all dont worry about it... this was their take on it...

If they were to rent a boat.... it wouldnt be as nice.... and cost them twice as much. They understand that they get to walk away and go home. they dont have to keep it up in any way. This is why they didnt mind pitching in extra cash. I still only took about 70.00 or so. I figured after all the things my parents have done for me in my life... I could pick up the tab.... they threw the money in the boat and ran....

I just wish people could be more appreciative of the person with a boat. You might be able to afford to take 10 people out on the boat every weekend and pick up the tab. It just shows good qualities in a person when they say...." hey...let me give you some cash" without you having to say anything. I feel like people are just being taken advantage of when nobody offers.

being said all that.... I dont work 2 jobs to have a boat so that all my friends can have fun on my dime.....simple.... plain.... cut and dry....

that's how I roll!
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-13-2008, 3:01 PM Reply   
Bill..... you have it down to a science... write a book... i'll buy it....lol

normally if were out there for a solid 5 hrs or so... and everyone chips in about 20.00 then it covers the gas.

Like Treavor says... if you dont have the cash... tell them... They ALWAYS come up with the money. Not all of us are Mr. Money Bags...
Old     (ericlee)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-13-2008, 3:04 PM Reply   
Here is my price list...

Guys-$20
Ladies-Free
Guys that bring girls- $20
Guys that ride- $20
Guys that sit there and drink- $20

Ya starting to see a pattern...lol
Old     (fadingfastsd)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-13-2008, 3:12 PM Reply   
I'm Evan, Ian (DaxxRuckus, the guy that started the thread)'s brother. I own the boat with him, a 2008 Calabria.

I totally agree with him. Its $20, or don't bother getting on the boat. It's true that our friends are mainly cheap who complain about throwing in $5 for gas, let alone $20. But with the new Cal, we're in no position to let anybody freeload. Sooner or later, they'll learn!
Old     (daxxruckus)      Join Date: May 2008       06-13-2008, 3:13 PM Reply   
Sean. Agreed. 100%. My parents do the same, but I never accept anything from them. I owe them my college Degree, which, in turn is how I can have a boat to begin with.

I wish people appreciated it too, but I think about myself before owning one, and I didn't really get it either.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-13-2008, 3:15 PM Reply   
My policy is I don't ask but I tell my good buddy's that help out to make a big deal in front of the non payers so they feel like Schitt. It's pretty funny when your "friends" ask you why you didn't tell them you were going out. Hmm...how bout you kick down some gas money!
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-13-2008, 3:16 PM Reply   
I hear ya Evan....

they can go get some fast food and a movie and after gas getting there... they are over 20.00

A movie is going to last no more than 2 hrs...

20.00 may last them 4 hrs on the water..... and if they go with you enough.... they might not be one of the 2 of the "every 2 in 5 people in the US are over weight"
Old     (daxxruckus)      Join Date: May 2008       06-13-2008, 3:17 PM Reply   
Hate - I have heard people use that method quite a bit on this board, and it sounds like a really good idea. Now if I could just find a regular who paid that could influence the others to do the same! haha
Old     (tigerules)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-13-2008, 3:20 PM Reply   
continued from above:
Boat Payment $xxx/per month
Gas for tow truck about $50
Gas for boat $130
Groceries for lunch $80
Dinner at bar $100

We have put over 500 hours on my boat in less than two years. We go every Saturday. Without everyone paying their share we wouldn't be able to go.
Old     (drilldaddy78)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-13-2008, 3:38 PM Reply   
I do agree with eric tho. Ladies are always free. That being said, Im leaving for the lake right now. The friends going this weekend even loaded the camping gear and bought the food. All I did was buy a surfboard. Time to try that out. Anyway, bottom line is if you cant afford them dont take them.
Old    dabigkahuna            06-13-2008, 4:03 PM Reply   
I think we are talking about 2 different situations, both of which require different approaches.

Situation 1 - People who just party and cruise on the boat, maybe get wet behind the boat a bit, but not anything serious. Definitely not a "wakeboard" crew. I don't bother asking for gas in this situation, everyone is just hanging out and having fun.

Situation 2 - "Wakeboard Crew". This is the group of friends who are serious about wakeboarding, they own their own gear, and they are trying to get better at the sport each time they go out. They like big wakes, and they try new tricks. For these guys, and gals, I expect them to chip in a fair amount for the gas THEY burn behind the boat. None of my friends who are in my "Wakeboard Crew" think twice about flowing the cash out, I don't even ask, they just do it. They usually throw in a $20 plus some beer & snacks for a day on the water. If I have a friend who THINKS he is in the "Wakeboard Crew", but doesn't buy his own equipment or pitch in for gas, let's just say he doesn't know how much fun we have been having on the boat, because I don't invite him out!

That's my approach anyways. Fun Times=Free, Wakeboarding as a Sport=Gas Money!
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       06-13-2008, 4:31 PM Reply   
I never ask for gas money, because most of the people i go with have boats themselves and at one point or another I've spent my fair share of time behind and in their boat, but for the random friends that only come out once or twice a year I'll accept gas money, don't look a gift horse in the mouth, but i am not going to ask, they should be considerate enough to know its costly and chip in if they want, and if they don't no biggie, you wouldn't be out there by yourself and to enjoy your boat it needs the go juice regardless...life's too short to get butthurt over not getting gas money, boating is not a required activity in any ones lives, its fun and a way to relax and sharing the good times with friends who may not be out on the water w/o your boat is a nice thing for you to do for them
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-13-2008, 4:49 PM Reply   
I look at it this way, if i invite you out then it's on me. I have non-boating friends which we invite out occasionally for a fun day on the lake. They are impervious to everything as they have no clue, and i don't expect anything. They all ask to help out doing things and help clean up after and such so in my eyes they've contributed. All my other friends have boats and if we boat share then everyone pitches in anyway. I've never had the freeloader issue but if i did it would stop right away.
Old     (uofamox)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-13-2008, 5:35 PM Reply   
This year everyone is giving me between $20-$40 to go out on Sunday Fundays. Sundays we go to the back and tie up so I dont use much gas. I dont really ask for the money but some of my close friends make it a point to chip in front of everyone. They also will ask me so how much do you think you spend on gas this year? When I answer $20k chins drop. Now is my total gas bill for the SUV and the boat but it really makes people think. Also since i stay sober, drive them to and from the lake, and more or less look after everyone they say it is the cheapest entertainment out there. Where else can they party for 8 hours, have someone drive them around and know they have a sober responsible friend looking after them. I never ask for money but my friends that ride know and those who don't typically offer. Since i actually make money on Sundays i dont ask any other day. No one really has a problem with this since Sundays are so much fun.

If you are interested to see what our Sunday Fundays look like feel free to check out my flickr account

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonmox

In Summary--Whatever way you are comfortable with is the right way.
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       06-13-2008, 9:03 PM Reply   
hmm i paid 100 bucks for less than half a tank that we burned in 3 hrs, the only question in my mind to ask them is cash or check
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-13-2008, 11:37 PM Reply   
$20 doesnt even come close to covering gas. we have been stopping at the gas station and filling up then splitting the cost (usually $20 - $30 a person).
Old     (bummerkit)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-14-2008, 12:21 AM Reply   
basically i just let people know that running a boat takes lots of gas and that gas money is appreciated. I dont demand anything but I also cant afford to keep taking people out for free, although i wish i could. so my rule is that if someone comes two times and they dont offer to pitch in somehow, they dont get called a third time.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-14-2008, 5:30 AM Reply   
My son and his friends use our boat a lot without me. They put gas in on the way to the lake with everyone contributing. They have to come home when they run out of gas. What ever they contribute determines how long they can stay on the lake. It seems to be working.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-14-2008, 8:32 AM Reply   
Something else to consider:

I used to be a private pilot...when AvGas wasn't $6/gallon. There have been some benchmark court cases in this realm that are quite concerning. There was this guy who was offering introductory flights for $5 during some kind of festival. During one of the flights they crashed and it was later found to not be pilot error. The passengers sued the pilot. The courts ruled that since he was accepting cash for the flight he was providing a "service" and he is liable for their injuries, much like any business in the United States. The pilot's attorney argued that the $5 was intended for gas and didn't even cover the entire gas cost. His insurance didn't cover him in the context of running a business providing this "service." He ended up being personally liable for the injuries.

Had he filled up the plane and asked the passengers to pay the FBO, aka the airplane gas station, then it would have simply been a pleasure flight and not a business. In that context his insurance would have covered the injuries. Many private pilots I know will not accept cash from their passengers. They will however agree to you paying down their fuel bill as long as you directly pay the FBO.

I would have to imagine this could fall-out the same way in the marine world. Chances are, if a passenger on your boat is injured while participating in a "service" offered by your "business" that you insurance would not cover it.

I have a friend who won't accept cash on his boat. Instead, he directs you to a plastic box in his glove box.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-14-2008, 8:41 AM Reply   
I take money when offered it seems to average about $15/pull...which I am fine with($10 would actually work for me.) I just don't invite those that don't at least offer.

I know a guy charging $5 just to look at his boat, gas is expensive, but I/we all knew that when we bought our boats.
Old    star_star            06-14-2008, 11:28 AM Reply   
xstar with 8.1L and Pro X ballast and correct prop burns about 10 gallons/hour. roughly two riders per hour so it's easy to figure at about $20/ride. also,the boat takes 10 quarts of oil at oil change. whoa baby, how stupid was i to trade my 05 XStar with MCX that only burned about 5 gallons/hour? Answer.... "VERY".
Old     (04outback)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-14-2008, 1:27 PM Reply   
star star,
don't beat yourself up too bad... at least you have not put many hours on it or had to change the oil much.>HA HA
GET OUT THERE AND RIDE... WAKE not YOGA!

We're pullin for Hercules! GET WELL SOON
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       06-14-2008, 2:35 PM Reply   
I think I've figured out a pretty good rule of thumb:

7.5 gallons of gas rounded to the next highest 5

Example:
$4.50/ gallon: 7.5 x $4.5 = $33.75 so $35

The amount you 'donate' should be based on the price of gas, as the price increases, the amount you gives does too. Right?

-Steve

P.S. If there are other factors (long tow distance, high launch fees, you eat/drink theirs, etc) you will adjust up accordingly.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-15-2008, 12:12 AM Reply   
People Should pay up

we ride everyday or almost and personally im not there chofer. ( i dont even no were to begin to spell that) but seriously i dont buy my friends lift pass when we go snowboarding... isnt gas basically the same thing in this case??

so yeah i ask sometimes unless they have a boat that we also use bc then it comes around. basically i tell them they need to throw a little down.}
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-15-2008, 10:03 AM Reply   
My formula.

First, I don't ask for gas money - ever.

If my crew offers I take it, but I take no more than $10 per ride they have taken. This is about what their riding costs me.

If they don't offer they may or may not get another invite, depends on my mood and need for crew next time around.

Nothing is set in stone.

Riders, offering boat owners gas money is the right thing to do.
Old     (ericlee)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-15-2008, 6:32 PM Reply   
Flying a plane and driving a boat are completely different. The reason private pilots can not take anything from people they take up is because they do not have a license to transport passengers. It is another certification. I think you have to get the ATP license before you can start taking money or anything from passengers. I went to flight school right out of high school so I think thats right but its been awhile.
Old     (mike8343)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-15-2008, 6:46 PM Reply   
Gas is killer... it costs me close to $250 to fill up my wakesetter and with ballast, wedge, 8-10 people in the boat and add'l 450 lb sac that tank only lasts a full day and a half riding. My buddies feel the pain and usually kick in and ladies are usually down to bring food and stuff voluntarily so it works out
Old     (daxxruckus)      Join Date: May 2008       06-16-2008, 8:44 AM Reply   
Steve - good call. That seems to be a pretty fair approximation. Can I can't on you for that $ next time we go ride? Haha jk.

Hung out with Gary and Chad yesterday. Did some wakesurfing. I'll hit you up next time.
Old     (billy2603)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-16-2008, 9:49 AM Reply   
Guys pay, girls don't. But, I have the same crew out twice a week. I take every fill-up and divide it equally between all of us and send an email out. No one has complained and we have also begun to split boat "extras" like ropes.

I pay for the boat, insurance, maintenance and storage. My friends are happy to pay for their share of the gas. When someone does bring someone out that is not in the crew, it is their responsibility to let them know about chipping in. Once my friends got excited about the sport, buying gas was never an issue, I just had to buy a lot more board racks.
Old     (tomfish)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-16-2008, 10:49 AM Reply   
if you bro's can't kick down $20 or don't offer, kind of lame. Sometimes I take it sometimes I don't . But I've been boating for a long time and whenever I ride on someone elses boat I have alway paid something. It just works that way.
Old     (javony)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-16-2008, 10:57 AM Reply   
I don't require friends to chip in, but friends that understand boating usually offer or just chip in on their own. Now, if I choose to accept or not is on me
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-16-2008, 11:29 AM Reply   
$10 / set will get it done for me.

The bad thing about the price of gas, is that it has eaten into my 'charity' runs. I used to never care when my kids brought their friends to learn wakeboarding. These days, they have to be pretty good friends of the family before I teach someone new to wakeboard. More casual acquaintenances can get on the boat, but if they want a pull it will be on the tubes with an unweighted boat.
Old     (natemower)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-17-2008, 7:30 AM Reply   
We have a group of friends (4-5) that go out and ride. I am just a passenger and always offer $ for gas (usually more than i use). This is because my ex girlfriend had a lake house and a few boats and I saw and experienced just how expensive it is to own a boat.

However, i have a problem with chipping in more than enough $ for gas when 1 or 2 of the guys don't contribute any. The guy that owns the boat is too nice to not invite the non payers. We talked about it a few times and he just says its not worth the argument. So... should i start contributing less just so i am not paying for their pulls as well? I don't want the boat owner to eat the cost but it isn't my job to pay for them... thoughts???
Old     (daxxruckus)      Join Date: May 2008       06-17-2008, 8:28 AM Reply   
Nathan - I would just make a big deal paying your buddy that owns the boat in front of the guys who don't pay. If they see you and the other regulars giving cash to the owner, they will get the hint pretty quick.
Old     (natemower)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-17-2008, 8:38 AM Reply   
We have done that a few times. However, a couple of them seem to think that 6 hours on the lake with friends and some boarding isn't worth $20. They are willing to contribute $5 for gas which doesn't cut it anymore. But said they would not be coming out much if it was $20 per day. These are both engineers making good money too!!!

I say... leave them on the dock. but it's not up to me.
Old     (daxxruckus)      Join Date: May 2008       06-17-2008, 8:52 AM Reply   
Well, on my boat - they wouldn't even get a call to meet us on the dock. Thats why I've named my new boat "Gas, Grass, or Ass...No One Rides Free!"