Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       10-07-2012, 1:43 PM Reply   
I just back back from the Intermot motorcycle show in germany and my desire to get a supermoto bike is at an all time high.

I am thinking of what the best option is to acquire what I want for the best "bang for the buck". Here is a list of options I have thought of.

DRZ 400 SM - street legal out of the box, but it seems like it would be tame compared to the likes of a modern 450 thumper

WR 250X - again, street legal out of the box. still not sure if I would be happy with the power. Possible big bore or stroker crank to get some more power out of it and still maintain good reliability.

YZ/CR/KTM 450 MX-er and converting to supermoto - This is an interesting option although I am not sure about cost to make it completely street worthy. The good part is that I could get EVERYTHING needed to do the conversion at dealer or manufacturer cost so that makes it even more interesting.

aprilia, ktm, husqvarna, tm racing - I think all these guys offer an option that would have the punch I am looking for. But of course they would come with the higher price. Any thoughts or input of specific models from these manufacturers would be great.

let me know your thoughts or share your similar experience.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-07-2012, 2:56 PM Reply   
I've got a 05 450EXC that will eventually be turned into a motard. I ride it in the woods right now, but when I'm ready for a new woods bike, it won't be worth enough to sell. When I went through the motor last year, I replaced the crank bearings to ball or tapered (can't remember now) for the transformation. There are tons of KTM motards our there and even though the 05 geometry is not the best, it is good enough for street riding. I currently do have a tag on the bike and it does pretty well for power and turning, even with the knobs. With the 13T front sprocket (14t is stock), it'll still do 90 without issue. The crank bearings were changed to maintain revs for longer periods of time.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       10-08-2012, 7:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeboardingdad View Post
I've got a 05 450EXC that will eventually be turned into a motard. I ride it in the woods right now, but when I'm ready for a new woods bike, it won't be worth enough to sell. When I went through the motor last year, I replaced the crank bearings to ball or tapered (can't remember now) for the transformation. There are tons of KTM motards our there and even though the 05 geometry is not the best, it is good enough for street riding. I currently do have a tag on the bike and it does pretty well for power and turning, even with the knobs. With the 13T front sprocket (14t is stock), it'll still do 90 without issue. The crank bearings were changed to maintain revs for longer periods of time.
Have any estimate what you'll be running for price to do the transformation?
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-08-2012, 7:49 AM Reply   
Bryce, I think to do the wheels, tires and big brakes it's like $2000-2500. That is a lot of money, but you can sell the stock goodies to help offset costs. Of course, at that point you're dedicated to motard only. I would imagine that most conversions do not do the crank bearings; at least from the get go.

I think you could either shop it around to find some used parts, However, I think just the wheels and tires (new) would be nice with stock brakes and that would probably be $800 or so. Unless you were really going through the twistys or planning on racing I think stock brakes with fresh fluid would suffice.

I was about to suggest an even older KTM, than 05 for a SMR, but I'm not sure about headshake. Seems the older than 05's may have had some of that. Maybe someone else could weigh in on that. 05 was the first year of the good geometry. 08's and up are even better.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-08-2012, 7:57 AM Reply   
I've ridden the Aprilia, and it's a beast! Fast as hell and a true wheelie machine. A buddy of mine dominates the local twisties on it.

However, I've heard reliability is not great. I think they only hold 1.5 quarts, and start having problems when you ride long distances.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-08-2012, 4:26 PM Reply   
this one looks legit
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/3323841256.html
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-08-2012, 5:36 PM Reply   
My opinion on them.

WR250 - Dog... slow, heavy, underpowered.

CR - Simply will not stand up to the street for any length of time. You'll have cooling issues, valve issues, clutch issues.

YZ - see CR

A few others to consider.

DRZ 400 - inexpensive, reliable, geared so it can run the freeway for short distances no problem.

WR 450 - Suited well enough for the street gearing wise, inexpensive to convert, gonna spend money up front for a sumo setup.

CRF 450X - Same as the WR. It'll run the street relatively easy with it's gearing but again, you're gonna need to purchase a sumo setup.

450 EXC - Not gonna be a very friendly street bike for long. It's geared towards dirt, doesn't like to sit very long without getting hot and doesn't hold much oil.

Ape 450 SXV - Awesome fun on the street, not so much in the dirt. High maintenance, big price tag up front.

Ape 450 RXV - Geared a little more towards traditional enduro, more reliable than the SXV. Spendy up front and you still need a sumo kit.

Husky SMR 511 - This bike kicks ass! Reliable, powerful, geared properly for street and fun fun fun! Only downside... expensive.

If you do decide to go with a dirt to sumo conversion be sure to look at a 17" front rim not a 16.5. and a 4.25 rear not a 5. It's a bitch to find a 16.5 street legal sumo tire, and the 5 race rear is a pia to fit on many dirt bikes without re shimming and doing some custom chain gaurd work.

As for brands,

Warp is a decent entry level rim. Heavier, and not made to take too much dirt abuse though. You can purchase find them on Ebay and CC all the time for under 1k with tires used.

Excel, great all round rims, usually com with Talon hubs which are very reliable in both dirt and street as well. You'll probably pay 1.5k - 2k for a setup with tires used.

Marchesini, awesome rims if you're gonna stay on the street. I've seen them bend and crack in the dirt though. These suckers are pricey. Even used people are very proud of them. You'll spend between 2k - 35k for a setup with tires.

Not sure what your thoughts are on brakes, but they're a whole world in themselves when it comes to sumo. You can start with a simple adapter and larger rotor kit and work your way up to Brembo full systems.

A little wordy on my opinion but hopefully it helps.
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       10-08-2012, 8:27 PM Reply   
I just sold my Aprilia sxv550. Sickest bike I have ever ridden and has massive amounts of power but its a pain in the ass to maintain. Reliability sucks balls and you have to pull the motor to check the valves. Its a true race bike and has to be treated as one.

My next one is gonna be a CRF450r converted.

Warp 9 has a pretty decent supermoto kit for $900 shipped including sprockets and big rotor kit.

The wr250x makes a pretty sick parking lot stunt bike but is underpowered for street killing. I would stick with a 450 for sure.

Last edited by Raf1985; 10-08-2012 at 8:29 PM.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-08-2012, 8:52 PM Reply   
Warp 9 has a pretty decent supermoto kit for $900 shipped including sprockets and big rotor kit.

That sounds like a great deal. The 2k-ish would include KTM big caliper and master cylinder.

The KTM does get hot, but I would have thought it would have been better on the road in comparison to the woods.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       10-09-2012, 5:03 AM Reply   
Do these enduro bikes have oil coolers? Never paid attention before. On that subject, the oil cooler that twin air makes seems like a no brainer to keep it cool and add some capacity. I know they are widely used on MX bikes.

The enduro 450 route seems like the best option so far... keep discussing :-)
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-09-2012, 7:53 AM Reply   
[QUOTE=Raf1985;1788494]I just sold my Aprilia sxv550. Sickest bike I have ever ridden and has massive amounts of power but its a pain in the ass to maintain. Reliability sucks balls and you have to pull the motor to check the valves. Its a true race bike and has to be treated as one.

The 550 is the one that I rode. Amazing bike. But the owner shared the same feelings as you on maintenance and reliability.

I'm curious to hear what the other experiences have been on WARP 9 wheels. I destroy them very quickly in the dirt. I've gone through 4 pair in 6 years. My latest set made it 2 rides before they were twacked. The spokes won't stay tight, and then and then they take a hard beating on the off road riding. I'll go out and hammer the trails for 3-4 hours, not realizing that the spokes have come lose. I'm personally giving up on them.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       10-09-2012, 8:11 AM Reply   
Oil cooler

http://www.twinair.com/usa/twin-air-oil-cooler

And for wheels

http://www.haanwheels.com/

Are my choices... top notch companies
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-09-2012, 2:59 PM Reply   
Didn't proof read my post. I meant CRF, YZF, RMZ, KXF inclusive. Sorry about that, old school thinking.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       10-09-2012, 4:08 PM Reply   
Dang... this seems like a decent deal and its local to me. Too bad I am not quite ready to get serious about buying.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/cs...307861236.html
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-09-2012, 7:51 AM Reply   
I've owned my KTM450 for quite some time and the only time it get's hot is when I am going super slow in some tight technical stuff (under 5 mph) with lots of clutch work. To cool it off, I ride it in a open field or something. The burp tank helps keep the anti-freeze available for when it cools off instead of being lost on the ground. I've never overheated in a dual sport or anytime I was moving. However, I imagine getting stuck in traffic would be bad. I have to say that I would have a very difficult time just sitting in traffic when I could simply go around whatever was in my way.... one reason I don't have a 4WD either!

As for oil coolers, I have not shopped for one nor have I seen one installed in person. There is tube that runs from the lower cylinder to the top of the motor on the RFS style motor. I imagine this is where the oil cooler insertion takes place. Most install fans (KTM has a kit with temp sensor), but again, I have not shopped because if I ride, it is usually not an issue. The only time it is really bad is when I am in sand and spinning RPMs, with no air movement. Something the SMR would never see.

Good luck with your search and purchase. I only mention the KTM because I have one and because they were ahead of the curve for an electric start four stroke. Honda was behind, with the X, the 650 was too heavy and the Suz 400 too heavy and weak. As for KTM, I would also look for a 525. You will also see them as 520's, depending upon year. The displacement is the same, KTM was weird about that. Today, they are 530's.
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       10-09-2012, 8:41 PM Reply   
^because he was probably looking for a deal on used ones. They are readily available brand new.

I would jump on that husky in a heartbeat. Those things are sweet.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-10-2012, 5:18 AM Reply   
Don't think you'll find a better deal than that locally..

We can rip the streets of Lakeville - stand up wheelies down Iberis
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-10-2012, 3:33 PM Reply   
Everytime a SM thread pops up I always kick myself for having not bought one yet, they just look too fun. So I went ahead and threw my street bike up on CL and am going to fix that.

I really only have 1 question. I want a SM setup ready to go when I purchase as I don't have the time that I used to to ride so I don't want to spend months building my own. The DRZ 400 SM's are cheap and plentiful, but I'm wondering if I'd get bored with it too quickly. I've ridden MX bikes for years and owned several 250 and 450 four strokes, most recent being an 09 CRF450 and I've had a half dozen street bikes over the years as well. I rarely see any SM's in my area pop up other than the DRZ's so i'm wondering if I should snatch up the next clean one I see for sale or spend a little more time, money, and possible shipping/pick up adventures for a better fit. I don't care about track riding as there are no tracks around here for bikes. I'm good about maintenance, but don't want to spend every weekend jacking with it either. I want something I can go beat the streets with for a couple hours a week and only worry about having to change fluds, filters, and checking/adjusting valve clearances. Budget I'd like to stay under/around is 5500.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       10-11-2012, 6:59 AM Reply   
Through all my research... it always seems to come up that aprillia requires some major maintenance. I've even heard the recommended top end interval is around 20 hours. Again... I am not certain on that.

Post pics of what you pick up!
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-11-2012, 7:06 AM Reply   
"I want something I can go beat the streets with for a couple hours a week and only worry about having to change fluds, filters, and checking/adjusting valve clearances. Budget I'd like to stay under/around is 5500."

DRZ will fit that criteria.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-11-2012, 11:32 AM Reply   
Here you go Bryce. In MN.

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2...00SM-104522814
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       10-11-2012, 12:53 PM Reply   
That black DRZ looks awesome. Not sure if I'd choose it over that husky though?

I'm transitioning jobs right now... unfortunately I need to hold off on getting too serious. Good thing about MN is that both of those bikes aren't going anywhere real fast this time of year!