Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       01-20-2004, 7:34 AM Reply   
Yesterday I tried the advice "just do a regular roll but hold on with two hands" and stacked really hard. I guess I left my front foot a little low because on the landing I dug the front edge in and got slingshotted into a surface raley. Basically my back is killing me and my chest/lungs still hurt.

Anyone have any advice how not to do that?

(Message edited by canaday on January 20, 2004)

(Message edited by canaday on January 20, 2004)
Old     (zigzagsd)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-20-2004, 10:23 AM Reply   
don't suck so much.
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       01-20-2004, 11:02 AM Reply   
We riding Friday?
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-20-2004, 4:03 PM Reply   
Fill the drysuit with hellium. Works every time!
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-20-2004, 5:16 PM Reply   
Pull the handle into your back hip and look at the boat on the landing as you continue your cut into the flats. I find these to be much easier than a regular toeside back roll.
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       01-20-2004, 6:11 PM Reply   
Have you ever caught the front edge and took a nasty face plant?
Old     (zigzagsd)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-20-2004, 8:47 PM Reply   
yes on friday.
Old                01-28-2004, 2:02 PM Reply   
Sean, remember when I rode with you and Jeff and I was real skittish (especiall with that MONSTER wake from Jeff's Nautique - thats scary all by itself). The weekend before I tried a roll and caught the leading edge causing a horrible face plant. I had double vision for a while from that one.

Sorry about your back (I was down for 51 weeks once from a back injury - it sucks) hope you feel better soon.
Old                03-24-2004, 7:54 AM Reply   
Be patient. If you try and throw it too early you are gonna crash a lot. Just like Matt said just move the handle to your other hip and turn your head to spot your landing. I am right foot forward and I turn my head to the left at the mid point of rotation.
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       03-24-2004, 8:14 AM Reply   
I don't see that one. If I'm cutting in TS and I'm regular, wouldn't I do a ts backroll and then turn my head to the left to spot the boat/landing?
Old     (wkbrderx5)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-24-2004, 9:30 AM Reply   
i find it easiest by concentrating on popping straight up off the wake. then you will get enough height and enough distance from your edge. then as soon as u pop let go of ur left hand and pull the handle to ur right hip, this will naturally pull u around.. good luck!
Old                03-25-2004, 7:32 AM Reply   
Sean, of course you wouldn't. Thats why I said I am right foot forward(goofy). For you, it would be opposite, naturally.

You shouldn't have to let go with one hand either. If you let go too early bad things can happen. There are only three reasons I can think of that would make it necessary to let go of the rope with one hand during an invert: grabs, handle passes, and tricks that you land on your toe edge.

You have a better chance of riding out a trick with two hands on the rope. A mistake that is usually made when you let go with one hand is that the rope gets too far away from your body and slows your rotation. Result: you come up short.