Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old     (rwb)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-14-2005, 4:53 PM Reply   
Hello everyone,

Has anyone ridden behind a 2003 Moomba Outback? It's 20'6" and has a direct drive. I'm boat shopping and am curious if it throws a decent wake and/or is a decent boat. I realize that the Moomba's were typically an entry level inboard.

Thanks for any input or advice.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-14-2005, 4:57 PM Reply   
i have an 05, but it's the same, it's a great boat for the money, the wake is really nice with some weight, i run about 900lbs in mine and the wake is big enough to throw any trick you can do behind it, it also makes a good surf wake, but my 05 is getting traded in because i'm ugrading to a vdrive, but for the money to outback is great
Old     (rwb)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-15-2005, 7:53 AM Reply   
Thanks for the input E.C. If you don't mind me asking, why are you upgrading to the V-drive? Better wake? More room? And, are you sticking with the same boat manufacturer? I'm in that dilemma where I do not want to buy a boat that I'll regret or one that I will quickly out grow. . . they're too expensive.

Thanks again.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-15-2005, 1:15 PM Reply   
Why is he upgrading to a V-Drive?!? That's a no brainer! Better layout, better wake! Not to say a direct drive is bad. DD's throw a great wake when properly weighted, but a V-Drive is designed and engineered for wakeboarding. And you can't beat the layout, storage and room. I started with a DD, which also was an Outback in 2002, and then upgraded to the XLV in 2004. The Outback was a great entry boat to get me into wakeboarding. I did some things with that boat that would amaze you all. It was a great boat for the money. V-Drives cost alot more too! Skiers Choice has a few V-Drives that are priced really well. I think they have a new one called the Outback 20V that will be priced in the mid-high 20's. Check out Moomba.com to see a preview of the 2006 lineup. They are some sharp looking boats!
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-15-2005, 1:33 PM Reply   
agree with everything Kraig says except:

quote:

a V-Drive is designed and engineered for wakeboarding.

i'm sure V-drive ski boat mfrs would love for us to believe this, but the Vdrive ski boat idea happened way before wakeboarding. the design just happened to work very well for the new sport. same goes for at least 3 of the top so-called "wake specific hulls".

the hulls were still designed to make as little wake as possible, with some tradeoffs for comfort, storage, etc - all the other things in addition to the huge wakes that boarders like.

it even took the mfrs a while to realize the value of the design - the first Xstar (97?) was a DD.

my 2¢... :-)
Old     (ethomass)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-15-2005, 2:38 PM Reply   
I as well have a 2003 Outback with tower and ballast. I had to add alot of extra weight to be able to get a good wakeboarding wake. If it were up to me id get a Vdrive. The layout works alot better, more storage just everything. But its a family boat so ill use what ive got. But dont get me wrong the value for the boat is incredible, 385 hours and no major problems.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-15-2005, 3:48 PM Reply   
They have an early 90's MasterCraft and a 2005 Moomba Outback down at ClubMed Cancun. I prefer the Moomba for waterskiing and the Mastercraft for boarding. Since it's a commercial operation they run no ballast in either boat. A buddy has a 2002 or 2003 Outback direct drive and he is always complaining that the wake is not great for boarding.

That said I think Skiers Choice makes a great value boat.

Just my honest opinions.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-22-2005, 9:19 AM Reply   
i'm upgrading to a v-drive because i can :-) i can afford it so why not? i'm sticking with moomba, i love the boat but i like the layout of the vdrive and the internal ballast, the outback has been a great boat and for the money you can't beat it, with 1000lbs in it the wake is plenty big!
Old     (imiguy68)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-11-2005, 11:39 AM Reply   
ryan, i am from a moomba dealer, and for the money it is a killer boat, and deal. if you are looking for used, i have a guy with and 2004, selling his fully loaded for a killer price. youi can email me at sales@islandmarine.net, and ill give you more info.
regards,
Sean