Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (fullonsalesgrp)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-25-2008, 10:37 PM Reply   
Ready to pull the trigger, is this a good middle of the road starter.
Is 621.99 a good deal or can I find it better?
ITCH
Old     (parkcityxj)      Join Date: Mar 2001       01-26-2008, 9:49 AM Reply   
I was in the same dilemma as you. Everything I read about the D40x has been great but the one thing that limits you is the lack of AF lens motor built in the camera, you need need to buy lenses which have a built motor. The lenses are expensive and limits your lens selection. I went with a used Canon 20D because I plan on shooting action sports exclusively and it was about the same price as a new D40X/Rebel XTi.

I went w/the 20D because of the higher frames per second, metal body, better weather sealing and mainly recommendations from my pro snow/ski photographer friends. A lot of my pro friends use the 20/30/40D as their back up or field camera.

All the reviews I read said to avoid the D40X if you plan on really getting into photography because of the lens issue, other than that it's an amazing camera for the price. I'd step up to a D80 or Canon 30/40D for a few more dollars.

(Message edited by parkcityxj on January 26, 2008)
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-26-2008, 12:14 PM Reply   
The lens limitation, while factually true, is a little overblown. There is a sufficient lens selection at good value. If you're shopping in the D40X range, it will probably not be a real issue. Decent lenses for getting started are available in a kit or for under $300. Manually focusing with something like the 50mm 1.8 is doable and good practice.

Itch - Check out Costco for some good D40X kits.
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-26-2008, 4:30 PM Reply   
I just got a D40x. It's my first SLR/DSLR, so the need to use AF-S lenses isn't a problem since I'm starting from zero. If I decide to move up, they'll work on other Nikons.

I think there's a fair range of AF-S lenses, with more being added all the time. If you get a kit, consider upgrading the standard 18-55mm to a VR version. Add a 55-200mm VR lens ($204 from US1Photo.com), and you're ready to go. You won't have f/1.8 capability, but those lenses can be pretty expensive, AF-S or otherwise.
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-27-2008, 6:22 AM Reply   
I just picked up the D40 with the kit 18-55mm and the 55-200mm VR. So far I have been very happy with the performance as my first DSLR.

I personally went with this camera due to having absoultely no clue about photography and I was looking for another expensive hobby.

The lenses do seem to keep being added, and for starting out, there is a pretty good selection available it seems like. I would say, that unless you have experience or lots of friends to help you out, the D40 is going to be a good place to start basically due to the ease of use and limited feature that I feel help with understanding the basics