Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       09-12-2011, 8:35 AM Reply   
i just installed a set of KM6500.2 in my 05' centurion enzo. i am powering it from a IX500.4 bridged. my question is on the settings on the amp. Where do i want to set the crossover switch? where should the bass boost be set or a good starting point.
i bought the cans from liquid audio so i hope they are big enough. they came with kicker RS60.2 in them that i plan to install in the boat. when i removed the RS60.2 there was a small ball of thin packing foam in the cans, should i leave this in the cans as some type of dampening or remove it?

thanks for your help
Rusty
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       09-12-2011, 9:53 AM Reply   
Hi Rusty-

For your IX500.4 the crossover switch should be set to HI PASS
The CROSSOVER FREQUENCY should be set to 150 Hz or so... HIgher is better than lower, but not as high as 300
The BASS BOOST should be TOTALLY OFF. NO point in boosting bass when you are crossing over at a frequency that is in the mid bass...
The GAIN control should be set as low as possible to get full power out of the amp when the radio is turned to around 75% of volume. I will usually start at around 9:00 o-clock, if you view the gain knob as a clock face. IF you have to set it any higher than noon or 1:00 something is amiss....

It might be redundant to tell you but the gain is not a volume control. You can still drive the amp to full power with the gain all the way down for some head units. The amp will only go as loud as it will go, regardless of gain setting, and the lower you have it, the less hiss, engine noise, clicks, pops, etc the amp will put out. I only tell you this since so many guys do not get what a gain control really is or what it does. I would rather you hear it twice then not at all.

Oh, on the damping material, leave it in place for at least the mids. The sound will be better with a little material in there to absorb backwave. You can pull it out of the horns cans if you want. The damping material in there won't do any good; the horn is not open to the can.

Dial it in and let us know how it sounds! IF you have any questions, post here or PM me. I am juggling a few things this week, so response might be slow, but I will get back to ya.

Good Luck!

Phil
Kicker
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       09-13-2011, 2:00 PM Reply   
sounds like i was close,
i have the gain at about 25% so that would be around 9 o'clock
i have the crossover frequency at what i would call 50% so it sounds like i should turn that up to roughly 80%?? the rang is 50-200 so 150 should be some where around 80%??
crossover switch i have off so i will switch to high

i do not have a sub and the OEM in boat speakers suck, i haven't gotten a chance to install the new ones but with my current settings it seemed like it was a little on the tingy side. maybe i just need to turn the bass up on the head unit? overall it sounds good just a little high. i will try your suggested setting tomorrow.

thank you
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       09-14-2011, 9:05 AM Reply   
What was on tingy side? in-boats or tower?

You might check the crossover on the back of the horn. There is a jumper on the back of the horn that has two terminal lugs, marked 0 and +6. If you are running the KM6500.2 components by themselves on the tower, (2 horns, 2 mids only) you want the jumper on the 0, (zero) lug, otherwise the horn will be too loud.

Otherwise, your assumptions arae right on everything. Know FOR SURE to turn the crossover switch to HI PASS. Without it engaged, the crossover frequency knob does NOTHING.

If your in-boats sound "tingy" as you say, turn DOWN the tingy part... Don;t take it personally, but I giggle when I see guys using their EQ and tone controls backwards, yet I do it too; it is something inherent in our psyche... If the highs are too loud, take your treble control and lower it...

For equalization, when somethihng is too loud, it is always better to cut the offending frequencies as opposed to boosting others. Similarly, if something sounds too quiet, turn down the other. You will never over-drive a curcuit buy cutting frequencies. You often will by boosting. If you find your EQ/tone contriols are set WAY off of center, with one or two right at center, try turning them all down; you will have less hiss, less distortion, and lowered chances of clipping at higher volumes...
Let us know!

Phil
Kicker
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       09-19-2011, 1:00 PM Reply   
What you said about the EQ makes sense. I used your settings and it sounds great. Gain ended up around 10 o'clock. Thanks for your help