Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       07-15-2010, 1:39 PM Reply   
Just wondering which one would you choose.

Looking at Lake Front property on several lakes in Ca., these are the main two choices in lakes so far.

Naci or Tulloch.

I have looked at Lake of Pines and Wildwood, but small lake and no Wakeboard boats allowed.
Combie lake looks sweet, but nothing under a Million on the lake with a dock and it is somewhat far from Santa Cruz.

Haven't been to Tulloch, but am sheduled to view to Homes on the lake tomorrow. Going to look at several on Naci on Saturday.

Both lakes are about the same distance away for me. Your two cents please.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-15-2010, 2:51 PM Reply   
As far as riding goes Naci will be better for getting good water because it is narrower than Tulloch. I spend a lot of time at Naci and have only been to Tulloch once. Ive got friends in Oak Shores and its a pretty cool community. Youve got to get out early to get good water between Memorial Day and Labor Day. The rest of the time its one of the best lakes for riding around!
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-15-2010, 3:08 PM Reply   
I would say it all depends on what you want from the lake. Naci is less crowded, but more wind. Tulloch has a huge party crowd. It seems that some nights have as many boats on the water as the day does. Midweek riding at Tulloch can be great. Weekends are prettty much obliterated by tubers, jet skis, and 10,million other boats. Have you tried Bass Lake? Maybe the same distance from Soquel ??
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-15-2010, 3:26 PM Reply   
Just depends what you are looking for . I have only been to Naci a couple times and it is a huge lake compared to tulloch. Looks like at naci you might be on the water at the begining of summer and then by the end may be a long way away from the water. I know there is a big party cove I went to a couple of times. Other then that don't know much about Naci.

On the other hand I have either lived or had a house on tulloch for over 25 years. It is a much smaller and crowded lake. One positive is that the water does not go down during the summer. It is a holding lake so the water stays at a constant level all summer long (it does fluctuate three feet a day). The other cool thing about tulloch is because it is so small you get to know a lot of people on the lake. Pretty much all my friends live or have houses on the lake. Also if you are into winter sports dodge ridge is only about forty miles away.
The bad part about tulloch is riding. I am a pretty decent wakeboarder but I don't even really wakeboard in the summer. I ride fall, mostly winter, and in the spring. The summer is pretty much to just party and hang out. When you go up there try and look at property on the poker flat/ Connor Estates side of the lake, closer to the store and closer to town.
I personally love tulloch and would live there in a second but I gotta be in the bay for work but is definatly not for everyone.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-15-2010, 3:53 PM Reply   
Mike makes a good point about water level at Naci. But, I just returned from a week vacation there renting in Oak Shores. Never been there wakeboarding before. We LOVED it. A little bit crowded on weekends, but weekdays, not at all until 11AM, then only a few boats. Maybe we just got lucky but we had glass or smooth water from sun up until about noon or 1PM each day. Got all the boarding in we could handle.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       07-15-2010, 4:17 PM Reply   
Hey thanks for the info so far.

Tulloch is good for the winter reasons. Dodge or Bear Valley being so close is great. The Winery's in Murphy is always a fun day for sure. I haven't been on Tulloch since I was 10 so I can't comment on the water conditions. It is a much smaller lake for sure, but one of the houses we are going to look at is right on the water and has a sweet dock.

Not a fan of Bass Lake. Been there a few time, but not my favorite. Neither a fan of Shaver Lake too.

It has been 3 years since I went to Naci I have gotten good water there plenty of times. It seems sometime you have to search for it, but you can usually find some good water. The houses we are going to look at are on Oak Shores and they do look nice, but you guys are right it is a hike to the water when it is low and it is usually low these days. Naci is also close to the winery's and my kids would enjoy that waterslide park they have there. I like the town Paso Robles and the drive is really pretty easy from Santa Cruz. It is not near the snow which is kind of a bummer.

It will be a vacation site for a few families for us to share, so this choice is not strictly mine. I just wanted to share all goods and bads to the others involved when the time comes.

Thanks again for the info.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-16-2010, 2:25 PM Reply   
Sounds like you answered your own questions Brannon. You should just bear down and buy a house on the Delta and visit us more often.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       07-16-2010, 5:33 PM Reply   
Ryan, Hey Mike was thinking about selling his boat. You know what was on it how much do you think he should ask. Also I think I am leaning more toward Tulloch, but tomorrow we are looking at Oak Shores. Still up in the air.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-17-2010, 10:26 AM Reply   
B,
Where did you look at tulloch? What were the prices like? I got here last night at 10 and it was 90 degrees. Boarded this morning at 6 and it was still hot as hell.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-18-2010, 8:58 AM Reply   
I had a friend come up to tulloch yesterday. He was looking at a house off the water. We looked at one that was 264K. It was 2100 square feet three decks built in 2006. Pretty awsome even had a huge room downstairs you could turn into a game room. Looks like a great deal and I think he is going to pull the trigger. If you got money and want a lake house you can get some pretty good deals now. The prices are about half what they were three years ago O yeah and it was 106 degrees here yesterday with 83 degree water temp!
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       07-18-2010, 10:42 AM Reply   
Mike we put an offer on one today, this morning on a Lake Tulloch home. I don't want to say were or how much for now.....I don't want to jinks us. We are not the only offer on the table, but we have a good amount to put down.

We went to Nacimiento yesterday and looked at a ton of property. All said lakefront property, but I think the definition of lake front is much different to them. It is more like lake views and better bring your walking shoes. There was one awesome lake front property that was sick. 6 bedrooms 6 bathrooms game room, huge refrigerated wine cellar, exercise in one of the rooms(small), hot tub, huge deck overlook the lake, it's own path to the lake (no dock), Horse shoe pit, awesome kitchen and 3 care garage with rustolum painted cement floors. The views were incredible also on Oak Shores. That was the only one we really liked. If the deal on Tulloch does not go through it might be an option still.

We did find some great property on Naci real close to the lake with views that were priced at around $400. and up. The lake was pretty good water while we were there with hardly anyone on the lake around the homes. I really like Naci, but the house on Tulloch was everything we were looking for. Wish us luck.

Here is something I did learn on this venture so far. On Naci you can have a dock built with the permits ect. 8' by 30' for about 10 to 12,000. I thought that was high on Oak Shores, but on Tulloch that same dock will cost you $30, to $32,000 with permits and all. Holy $hit that is a lot. Maybe the realtor was blowing smoke, but that seemed really high.

Mike where abouts is your home and is it really that much to have a dock on the lake?
By the way if anyone is interested I have Rental Property in Couer D' Alene Idaho I am now trying to sell.lol