Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 07, 2006

Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-23-2006, 5:41 PM Reply   
Is there such a thing? Any of you been there boarding, or boarded while on vacation. All I see is skiing. My wife and I are gonna be there all next week and I would love to get a few pulls in... HELP..
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-23-2006, 9:32 PM Reply   
I know that you can in St. Maarten. Was there last year and saw a few wake boats. Don't remember the names though, I found it all online. We'll be out that way again this year too. Have fun, and good luck.
Old     (magnusm)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-23-2006, 10:20 PM Reply   
We were in St. Lucia briefly a couple years ago and you could wakeboard at the hotel we stayed at - after looking at the fishing boat they were pulling with and the choppy water I decided to stay put on the beach and save my $20 for a pull back home. I don't remember the name of the hotel, but I can find it again if you are interested. Anyway, wakeboarding is out there now where you wouldn't expect it (and couldn't find it a few years ago).
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-24-2006, 6:14 AM Reply   
Magnus - You might have stayed at the same one my wife and I did on our honeymoon in 2004. We stayed at the Sandals Grande and they had a Mastercraft X9 that offered free pulls. They basically gave you a once down the beach and back and they only had one wakeboard for everyone...it was still fun though to ride in the ocean!

Joshua - I don't know how much you are looking at riding but look into the Sandals Grande.
Old     (fumanchoo)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-24-2006, 6:37 AM Reply   
Sandals has the boat and pulls.St. Marteen has a wakeboard school and a nice lagoon to ride in.
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-24-2006, 1:03 PM Reply   
thanks for hte info -- yes --were are staying at the Sandals resort--- their site mentions a little about skiing but nothing about wakeboarding --i will let you all know hte deal when i get back -- hopefully i will have a few pics too..
Old     (badzuki)      Join Date: Sep 2001       01-25-2006, 6:20 AM Reply   
Joshua-

We were there over christmas and got married. It is good, but it has its down falls. They have 2 mastercrafts. An x9 and and X9 with a tower. But of course the x9 with tower was out of service and totally trashed. It will still be out of service when you get there I bet. Next, when we got there. They said the wakeboard was broke. They have 1(it is a cheapo 143 something, I didn't even pay attention). So I was mad becuase I thought about bringing my own. After looking around back I seen they had an air chair. So I begged them to let me ride that. It looked like it had not moved for a while. They let me ride it, but they seem reluctant to let people try anything that they might have to turn around and pick them up.

The good news is that they were on it and by the next day had a new wakeboard. The watersports is setup well and you will like it. They wip the tubers right up on to shore.
I wakeboarded nearly every day. It is so convenient. You will spend time just watching the people tube and ski from the beach, it is nice.

The bay is nicer then the ocean, but it is still not calm enough to get serious. With a unweighted x9 with no tower I wasn’t worried about it anyway. It is just nice to get behind the boat and ride. The water is so clear and cool. I don’t think the small chop ever went away. I have tons of small hints and recommendations and tons of photos if you have any questions. (I hope you are staying at the Grande, it is the nicest and the place to be for people that enjoy watersports)

MOST OF ALL you will have the time of your life and it is an AWESOME place. It is unbeleivable. You will enjoy it!!! And have a BBC for me!!!!

ENJOY THE RIDE FROM THE AIRPORT TO SANDALS!!!

Old     (badzuki)      Join Date: Sep 2001       01-25-2006, 6:21 AM Reply   
I am trying to post some pics but they are to big. I will see what I can do.
Old     (badzuki)      Join Date: Sep 2001       01-25-2006, 6:38 AM Reply   
This should work

Old     (badzuki)      Join Date: Sep 2001       01-25-2006, 6:47 AM Reply   

Old     (badzuki)      Join Date: Sep 2001       01-25-2006, 6:48 AM Reply   
Old     (badzuki)      Join Date: Sep 2001       01-25-2006, 7:00 AM Reply   
The mastercraft wipping the tuber into shore

Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-25-2006, 7:07 AM Reply   
That's pretty cool. We rode behind the X9 with the tower when we were there in May 2004 and it was TRASHED even then. It didn't even have a swim platform and the interior was tore up. It was more or less just cool to say you did it but the 2 minute ride you got on the board was not all that exciting.
Old     (badzuki)      Join Date: Sep 2001       01-25-2006, 8:01 AM Reply   
YA I think they take off the swim platforms so that you can't get in the boat. The platform was off of this boat too.

It is so sad to look at that boat becuase it looks nice on the outside but COMPLETELY trashed on the inside
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-25-2006, 12:34 PM Reply   
thanks, what is a BBC -and what is the deal w/ the ride fro mthe airport ---lemme in...
Old     (badzuki)      Join Date: Sep 2001       01-25-2006, 1:09 PM Reply   
Well the island is 27 miles long. Of course the airport is on the opposite side of the island of the resort (of course the grande is the furthest Sandals away from the airport). That doesn’t seem like a long ways. BUT, it is thru mountains, rain forest, and on roads in a foreign country. They pack you in a minivan size(little larger) bus/car with about 6-7 people and luggage!!! There is no lines on the road, they drive on the opposite side of the road. They pass going up hill around corners. There is people and dogs/goats/cows on the road. And it is one curvy long ride after a 4+ hour ride in a plane.

I looked into the helicopter rides from the airport. We did not do them. I am not sure they would save you much time but they would be worth the money. They would be much smoother. The only benefit about the drive is you understand quick how poor the people are. I would do the helicopter if I go back.

We made a pack that we could not walk by a bar without ordering a drink!!! We did a good job of it too. Out of every drink I tried the BBC was the best. It is banana’s baileys and coconut rum. It is so good. All the drinks are good and the service is too. On tripadvisor I read as many negative posts as positive. But everything was great. The food is not as good as in the US but anywhere I have been down south (mexico/carribean) The food is not as flavorful so don’t expect it to be.

We are ready to make reservations for next year. When are you going? It is going into there hot season which is there busy time. They just got thru the rainy season. By the way, it will be hot!! It was 85-90 The week of dec 18th when we were there.

You will have soooo much fun.
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-25-2006, 2:14 PM Reply   
gotcha -- thanks -- we are leaving this sat morning for 7 days-- we are really stoked. i will post pics when i return---thanks for all the info--how much were the helicopter rides?
Old     (badzuki)      Join Date: Sep 2001       01-25-2006, 2:19 PM Reply   
They were running about $110-$125.

What style of room did you get? We upgraded fromt he luxury oceanfront to something I forget but it had the concierge service with it and we were happy we did that.
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-25-2006, 3:05 PM Reply   
To be honest i do not remember -- we wnt back and forth -- it whas been scheduled for a while too....
Old     (badzuki)      Join Date: Sep 2001       01-25-2006, 4:29 PM Reply   
That is the way I was. I made the reservation so long ago that I had forgotten. When we got there we found out they were offering a free samsonite luggage set with and upgraded room. So we did it. It was worth it. The rooms were not full when we stayed and they were given people better rooms then what they made reservations for.

First thing on sunday make reservations at Kimonos the japanese restuarant. You have to go there, it is a good show. Also make reservations for snorkeling right away. You might want to go twice!!! We did. It is free and fun!!! By the end of the week it was hard to get a reservation
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-25-2006, 4:55 PM Reply   
thanks for the tips,,, we originally made the plans for new years -- but quickle changed til now due to price --- saved us over 4600.00 bucks...
Old     (depoint50ae)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-25-2006, 5:55 PM Reply   
Do the Scuba too. It is fun as hell and they will give you a temp certification for the resort that will allow you to go down 30 ft. You can dive every day after you get the resort cert. except the day you fly out.
Old     (badzuki)      Join Date: Sep 2001       01-26-2006, 6:48 AM Reply   
The scuba looked fun and I would have done it if I would have had more time. We were only there for 5 nights. With a wedding and the restictions on diving and having to spend the time to get certified I just couldn't fit it in. It looked like it was good though and there were alot of people that did it. I WILL do it when we go back. I recommend it over doing and excursion.
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-05-2006, 2:58 PM Reply   
well, st. lucia is/was a blast... i hate we had to leave.. wow! i had no idea the island was so poor.. literally poverty stricken,, i do not see how they could survive w/o tourism. we can't wait to go back. KIMONOS was teriffic.. can't even begin to tell you how much fun we had there -- guarantee they will never forget us....the BBC's we even pretty good... ALSO i like the PITON,, very good beer...
Old     (mcx2ryd)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-05-2006, 3:28 PM Reply   
Did you go wakeboarding?
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-05-2006, 4:01 PM Reply   
yep, was more/less just to say i did it. water wasn't too bad, but boat had no wake and was being pulled from center pylon... tubing was fun though. so was the hobie cats,, i would recommend st. lucia to anyone..