Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    k0walski            01-31-2010, 8:33 PM Reply   
I'm wanting to replace the stock ballast in my 01 Sunsetter VLX. (Diamond Hull). I currently have 2 hard tanks in the back and the stock center MLS bag. I did a search and couldn't come up with much info. I am wanting to upgrade to:

2 Fly High 750lb. sacs in the rear
2 Fly High 155lb. fat bricks (for the walkway)
1 Fly High 650lb. bow bag
MLS Bag 500lb.

Realistically this should give me around 2400lbs. Can anyone who has sacked-out a Diamond Hull comment on where I should add more or less weight? The boat does have a wedge.

(Message edited by k0walski on January 31, 2010)
Old     (snowslider76)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-31-2010, 9:15 PM Reply   
I had an 2000 Setter, I ran approx 900 back 1100 front with the wedge down. My rear could have held 1500 but with the rear bags full I couldn't get on plain. I didn't have the correctly pitched prop for that much weight, I'm sure that would make a big difference.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-01-2010, 7:27 AM Reply   
The wake on Jasons boat was pretty big with this set up.. Had a nice shape, really rampy. With a prop it would have planed out much easier.

If you're doing the full 750's in the back - I think you're going to want some SERIOUS weight up front. 50/50 split.
Old    k0walski            02-01-2010, 8:16 AM Reply   
Jason: what prop would you recommend if im going to be running that much weight?

Jeff: I think you're right. With just the hard tanks in the back and the center bag with the wedge down, I can't even see over the bow. I will probably end up getting another bag to put in the bow.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-01-2010, 8:44 AM Reply   
Cory, just so you know the boat Jason is talking about shouldn't of had the Diamond hull. 2001 was the only year sunsetter vlx that had the diamond hull. I would guess you still weight both hulls similarly but the diamond is just going to need more weight.
Old     (snowslider76)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-01-2010, 8:45 AM Reply   
Cory, a friend let me borrow an ACME prop once and it was a night and day difference, I can't remember what the pitch was. Email Bill at ACME tell him what boat you have, engine, approx weight and elevation and he'll let you know what to get. bweeks@acmemarince.com

Even with a new prop I still think you should do 60% front 40% back on a Setter IMO.

Jeff's profile pic is my old wake.
Old     (dirtysparks)      Join Date: May 2004       02-01-2010, 1:46 PM Reply   
Those 750s may be too much for the rear. I originally bought 750s for the rear of my 01 vlx and the swim platform was a good 10 inches under water. Realistically, I don't think you'll get more than 300 in the mls center and probably even less in the bow - are you using the integrated bow sack or the one that sits on top of the seats? Integrated sack won't fill up very much under the seats. You'll be way too back heavy for 750s with that setup. 1500 rear, 900 front...and that's being generous with the weight up front. Are you going to use the wedge too?

I've got a wake hull, but weigh it like this:
400s in the rear lockers
center mls popping open the bilge hatch
600 in the walkway
no wedge
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-01-2010, 3:28 PM Reply   
I agree with Jeff on all counts...if you are going to run 750's in the rear you need at least 1 750 in the bow. I have been running 750's in the rear of my 00 and with a little lead it puts the water line right at the bottom bolt of the lifting cleats. The boat sits low enough that when sitting still a factory weighted wake boat driving by can send rollers into the back of the boat.