Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-25-2009, 9:07 AM Reply   
hello, i just bought a new 09 sv230, it was from a dealer that went under, so it has some things already on it. it has the enzo 3 package w a pair of 325 skylons on the tower, 6 125ib speakers inside the boat, a 10' skylon sub and 1 kicker 350 amp. what else will i need or should i get? Thanks doug
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-25-2009, 1:48 PM Reply   
That depends on what kind of sound you want. Have you even listened to it yet?

The only thing that I'd recommend would be a Wet Sounds WS-420.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-25-2009, 2:06 PM Reply   
no, i have not even seen the boat yet, it just came in 2 days ago. they had to take the boat back to centurion and then to my local dealer. i have been reading alot on what the guys here have done and was thinking about adding the syn6 amp to run everything and add 2 more 325s to the rack. i have never had skylon speakers in my malibu and not sure if i want to dump a ton of money right now, but i do want to have enough power to run whats already there. i am guessing that the amp is not connected to the inside speakers or vice versa. What amps do skylon recomend with there speakers. the head unit is the mb quartz thanks for any help
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-25-2009, 4:13 PM Reply   
Wow, one amp, and an underpowered choice at that to drive a 10" sub and a pair of tower speakers rated at 300 W's rms.

The Kicker 350.4 (guessing that's what's there) Would be fine running the 6 cabin speakers, but you need something to properly power the 325's and the 10"sub.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-25-2009, 4:33 PM Reply   
Tigemike, you should've seen my Supra and what they did at Skier's Choice.... Fail.

Doug, I guess I was in a hurry when I first read your post... I'd recommend an amp, or amplified channels for each and every speaker. Forget the head unit power, it's a joke.

I don't know anything about the Skylon stuff so I wouldn't know what to say about amps. A 6-channel won't be enough for all of it though. You can either do 2 4-channels for towers and in-boats, then a mono amp for the sub, or a 4-channel, a 2-channel for the towers, and a mono for the sub. It all depends on how much power each speaker needs and what your budget for all of this is.
Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-25-2009, 6:07 PM Reply   
I would second the WS420 it is a great investment. Get a stereo mini plug headphone extension cord about 10ft that way you can use the mic in the passenger seat to school new riders. Having a separate control over the sub woofer is also a great feature on the WS420.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-25-2009, 6:25 PM Reply   
ditto on the WS420. Combined with HSE volume control is the bomb.

Then get some better more amps.

I have a cheapo system with some infinity tower, 12' sub, and interior speakers with two subs and 1650 watts (2 and 4 channel), Clarion head. You need more and bigger amps to keep things cool at least. Throw up your price range and people can let ya know a good system. kicker is good on the cheap
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-25-2009, 9:08 PM Reply   
ok, i am just going to keep the current 2 tower speakers amd add 2 more amps. i really do not have a budget. i guess 1k for now and then maybe 2 more tower speakers. i have to get alot of other stuff, i.e enzo sac for port side, new prop, all the wakeoutlaw pump stuff(that seems to be the best solution) and a 750 for the right, here are some pics. thanks for the helpUpload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-26-2009, 3:35 AM Reply   
Nice looking boat!

A WS-XXX fits perfect under the helm, and the WS-420 will mount right above it.

Upload
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-26-2009, 7:49 AM Reply   
Those 3 Ohm Skylons are pretty much going to limit you to a 2chnl amp. Look for one where 300 watts falls somewhere in between the amp's 4 and 2 Ohm specs.

For you sub, look for a mono-block amp that will give you 250-300 watts rms @ 4 ohms. If you find this is not enough, then you can simply upgrade to a higher output 4 ohm dual voice coil sub. This will give the amp a 2 ohm load for the needed power of the new sub.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-26-2009, 8:18 AM Reply   
thanks tigemike, so if i get a syn1 for the sub, syn2 for the tower speakers and run the kicker 350x4 that came with the boat for the inside speaker, will i be able to add 2 more tower speakers without having to get another amp. I really do not need the"Best" stuff out there, but i do not have a problem buying good equipment. I will have someone who knows what they are doing install everything. thanks
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       12-26-2009, 8:58 AM Reply   
Beautiful boat
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-26-2009, 9:24 AM Reply   
Ok, lets try again, IE closed in the middle of my replay!

The Syn1 is rated at 850 watts rms at 4 ohm's. Looking at what Skylon has on their site, the 12" sub is a 4 ohm sub, I'm guessing a single voice coil, and is rated at 250 rms and 500 peak. I think the Syn1 would be too much for your current sub, but perfect if you were going to upgrade subs no, or in the near future. The Kicker ZX500.1 would give you 250W's rms for your current sub, and then 500w's rms later on if you wanted to upgrade to a 4 ohm DVC sub.

As far as adding a 2nd pair of 325's to a Syn2, that's a question that Tim or Gyver need to answer. a pair of Skylons on one chnl would be 1.5 ohm load on an amp that's stable down to 2 ohm's. Running at a lower then recommended impedance (internal resistance) will typically tax an amps a bit, makes it work harder, produce more heat, etc, and can result in clipping, amp dropping in/out of protect mode, and possible damage to the amp.

The Syn2 looks like it would be good power for a single pair.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       12-26-2009, 2:12 PM Reply   
I run 4 WS Pro 60s on Syn2. I believe it delivers 175 watts to each speaker at 2 ohms. I think it sounds great.

Things I would add
WS 420
WS XXX powered by Syn1
FAE - IMO, one of the best things for the stereo because it decreases the engine noise significantly (other great bonus, 90% less CO when surfing)

Welcome to the Centurion family and Happy Holidays!
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-26-2009, 3:10 PM Reply   
ok, so as i have been researching it seems i could get the kicker zx700.1 its 5 channels, use it to run the sub and the 6 125ib speakers and then use the 350 to run the tower speakers, or maybe not. i don't know anymore hahaha
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-26-2009, 6:37 PM Reply   
The Kicker zx or mx 700.5 would be a great choice for the 6 in-boats and would deliver 210 watts rms to your 4 ohm sub, or 420 watts rms to a 2 ohm sub if you upgraded later. I use a ton of these amp in this same configuration.

Even bridged, the zx350.4 only does 175 watts rms and the Skylon 325's are rated at 300 watts rms. You would be way under powered, not to mention, you may run into issues bridging a 3 ohm speaker. The amp is stable to to 2 ohms, and in bridge mode with the 325's, each chnl would see 1.5 ohm's.

I think that no matter which route you go, you're looking at picking up 2 more amps.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-26-2009, 6:50 PM Reply   
ok, i am on board, what 2 amps would you put in my boat in addition to the kicker that is in it now and what combo would you connect to what. i.e sub and tower, inside speakers and sub. thanks tigemike i need the help:-)
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-27-2009, 10:19 AM Reply   
Doug, my two main lines That I use are Wet Sounds and Kicker. Here would be my choices:
For the in-boats and sub, you could go with the ZX or MX 700.5

And then either the Kicker zx850.2 or the Wet Sounds Syn2 for the tower.

If you decide to keep the Kicker ZX350.4 (which is actually a little more wattage for the 6 in-boats then the 700.5) for the cabin and add just an amp for the sub, then either the Kicker ZX500.1 (225W's @ 4 ohm and 500W's @ 2ohm)or the Wet Sounds Syn Micro (250W's bridged @ 4ohms but no room for upgrading sub later.

There are other good amp choices out there, these are just the ones i like.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-07-2010, 5:26 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the info, i am stuck between the syn 2 and micro or the kickers. i also have been looking at the arc ks300.2 and 500.1.

I guess kicker no longer makes the zx850.2, but there are dealers that have them. I guess I would jump on the ws product but i will most likely end up buying a new sub and losing the value in the micro. i also like keeping all the same amps. I know that has nothing to do with it, but its a taste thing. thanks for all the help
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-07-2010, 5:38 PM Reply   
Yeah, I just got my Kicker 2010 pricing and saw that. No worries though, they will be around for a while and should still be supported for a few years. I am excited to see some full range Class D's from Kicker though. Cant wait to get some more in-depth detail on them.

May want to look into the JL MHD600.4. I'm not a JL guy, so I cant say for sure, but looking at the specs, the amp can be bridged with a 3 - 8 ohm load and will do 300W's x 2. This would give you the power needed for your 325's.

http://marine.jlaudio.com/products_amps.php?amp_id=416
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-07-2010, 5:42 PM Reply   
if i put the 850.2 on 2 pair of tower speakers, would i be at 1.5ohm or at 2ohm
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-07-2010, 5:50 PM Reply   
Wired in parallel (+ to +/-to -) the two 3ohm speakers on 1 chnl would bee 1.5 ohms.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-07-2010, 5:57 PM Reply   
thats what i thought, i guess i cant get away from that. i just wanted to get the use out of the tower speakers for the summer and then look at other options for next year. its hard to toss away product that is new without even using it. on top of it all, it came on the boat and i did not have a choice. if i get 2 pro8s and 2 mb8s i could then have the in parallel at 2ohm. and just run the 2 325s for now untill i change all the speakers. i just want to have the amp purchase work for later
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-07-2010, 6:19 PM Reply   
The zx850.2 would give you 200+ watts rms to each speaker if you went with the 80's n 8's later on. It's 425W's rms x 2 @ 2 ohm.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-08-2010, 2:52 PM Reply   
doug,

If you use the JL HD600.4 that Mike mentioned you can bridge four channels into two and run your existing 3-ohm speakers with stability. Or, you can add two more tower speakers and run the amplifier in the four channel mode without a loss of power.

The JL amplifier delivers constant power from 1.5 to 4-ohms with a wide range in supply voltage too. Its very under-rated and very clean. Plus, since its Class D, its extremely efficient.

Most prominent amplifier manufacturers are eventually going to have to embrace Class D. The migration is already well underway. And, you're going to see some very cost-effective Class D multi-channel introductions this year with in-boat possibilities.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-08-2010, 3:11 PM Reply   
When you get the enzo sac get the custom wakeoutlaws version. It's bigger and will be better for surfing. It also has better drain and fill valve locations. Great looking boat! Congrats
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-08-2010, 7:22 PM Reply   
thanks david, i just want to match a few amps that are going to work correctly while using my current speakers, untill i decide to dump 2k on tower speakers. duffy i am ordering it tomorrow with a new prop the bow sac and a 750 for the right rear. thanks doug