Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-17-2009, 9:57 AM Reply   
This boat has 31 Ocean LED underwater lights 31 -3010's each one cost's between $2,500 and $2,300
http://www.anchorexpress.com/Ocean-LED-3010-Thru-Hull-Underwater-Light-p/001-500058.htm

31 x $2300 = $71,300.00
That's before instalation.

Here is a video of the boat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L1rQlx5Lt4&feature=related

I think the glow all around the boat is so cool.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-17-2009, 10:12 AM Reply   
So my question is

when are you going to start the thread on how you can do it to the front and side of a wake boat. I know it will be a good read. It seems every time I want to do something to my boat I always end up reading one of your post.
Old     (zleartsu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-17-2009, 10:12 AM Reply   
that is sick!
Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-17-2009, 10:20 AM Reply   
Bad Ass!!!
Old     (jwag)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-17-2009, 10:35 AM Reply   
Grant, I cant imagine what you would do with a boat that size and funds to bling.

side note: Did you guys read the comments? " is that bad for the fish" OMFG, give me a break
Old     (wikd281)      Join Date: May 2002       11-17-2009, 10:43 AM Reply   
Just like I was saying that you should put shadow casters all around! BAD ASS!
Might need another 8 batteries and a 2nd Balmar??
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-17-2009, 11:03 AM Reply   
Clay and we talking about how a Shadow Caster would do on the side of the boat. All the underwater LEDs are made to go underwater but Im not sure how they would handle the water pressure from the side. The water pressure from the side of the boat is WAY more than is at the transome of the boat. I has seen some large ships with headlight bucket style ports where underwater lights go. This keeps the light out of the flow of the water. Abyss makes a light that's made to run down the side of a boat like sail boats. Install them down the side of the boat would require a bit of forward thinking. You would need to design a way or system that would allow you to replace/repair the light in the event it was broke or dammaged and allow you to have a water proof disconnect at the lights. So there are some large hurdles to over come. That alone with the cost of like let's say 20 $600 lights. And some major install work. I have been thinking about it.
The Shadow Casters are real thin so they would work as far as not messing up the water flow down the side of the boat.
Upload
Upload
Im tempted to get a Shadow Caster and mount it on it's side and mount in our hot tub pointed at a jet and and run it for a few months and see how it's deals with water blasted at it from the side for some time.
If you mounted them just below the water line they would be out of the water when you were going fast and the water pressure was high so it might work real well
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-17-2009, 11:20 AM Reply   
Well when you consider that the thing charters for a starting price of $36k per week, that ain't too bad!

http://www.boatbookings.com/yacht_search/yacht_view.php?pid=1553
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       11-17-2009, 11:29 AM Reply   
I think if you want to put them on the side of your wakeboat you should redo the fiberglass so that they are recessed into the boat at least enough to make them flush. That should help eliminate some of the pressure and look super custom.
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-17-2009, 12:04 PM Reply   
It looks great but I'm not sure the effect warrants the price tag.
Old     (jfpound)      Join Date: Mar 2009       11-17-2009, 12:31 PM Reply   
We haven't had any issues with these side mounted units...
Upload
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       11-17-2009, 1:04 PM Reply   
Could someone post a night pic of that boat. I can't get youtube at work.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-17-2009, 1:33 PM Reply   
I was thinking. The first thing to make would be this lets call it a "light bucket" This would be a Epoxy or fiberglass piece that would mount into the boat giving you the ability to mount the light into a fixture and make the wire connection. This light bucket is where the waterproof connection would be made. Each light bucket would have a pigtail with a waterproof connection so that if you needed to change a light you could do so in or out of the water. You could even run the boat with no lights in the bucket. It would make changing a light a 2 min job with not 3m glue or underwater sealant compaired to a 3 hr job. Or am I over thinking it
????
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-17-2009, 2:27 PM Reply   
The glass isn't thick enough to recess it and you pry wouldn't to anyway. Are you willing to put some holes in the bling-bling to test this out? So its the "light bucket" then...

You're not over thinking it if you need the specs you describe. But do you really need to change a light? don't LEDs run 100x longer than other types? Keeping the profile low enough and still give you the recessed/waterproof effect will be tricky tho.
Old     (vguy75)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-17-2009, 3:36 PM Reply   
G, your post reminded me of a video that I saw a couple weeks ago and noticed from your youtube link...
86' Azimut with surface drives... really cool pics of the screws turning at the dock and some other underwater / shark footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJicKKodHZo&feature=related

Bit of a threadjack here, but I think you'll like two of his other videos...

Waverunner from Miami to Exuma
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCvvNt8C2-I&feature=channel

Turks and Caicos to Nassau by boat through the Exuma Islands
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBSX3-Q1O3w&feature=channel

Cheers!
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       11-25-2009, 10:20 AM Reply   
thse trips is amazing this is simply a dream to all water lovers, if i could own a boat like this in my life and live like this i can die in peace
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-25-2009, 11:32 AM Reply   
What about this style of underwater LED? They seem like they would work better if than the one's pictured on the sides of the hull.

http://www.oceanled.com/Product_Pages/Pro_Series.php

Upload
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-25-2009, 11:35 AM Reply   
Here is another view of the largest flush mount LED.

Upload
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-25-2009, 1:25 PM Reply   
Brett. The flush mount (thats not flush) requires you to drill a 5 inch hole in the side of your boat.
You can go on Youtube and see picks/video of Ocean LED install and see how flush they are
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-25-2009, 1:42 PM Reply   
Didn't see that. Those things are honken and not flush at all.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-25-2009, 2:26 PM Reply   
I think for a big o" 135 foot boat they are pretty flush mount. But for a ski boat they would be pretty big.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-25-2009, 2:53 PM Reply   
They are pretty cheap to. There smallest flush mount LED is over a grand a piece. Ouch.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-27-2009, 10:47 AM Reply   
I don't understand why these things are so expensive?
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-27-2009, 10:59 AM Reply   
no kidding why are these things so expensive? its not like they're made of solid gold?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-27-2009, 11:01 AM Reply   
LED's are relatively new technology. Clear or white LED's are the most expensive. They create a lot of heat so the heat either has to be dissipated in the form of a heat sink or water. Those Ocean LED's are huge and top quality. I am not sure they are worth a grand each but I think they have special controls for them as well.
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       01-02-2010, 7:06 AM Reply   
G,

I work with the OceanLED guys and can confirm that install was well in excess of £100,000 ($160,000).

OceanLED do some really cool lights for boat like ours called amphibians - you can mount them above or below the waterline.

I've run a blue shadowcaster next to a blue Amphibian A12 and the results were fairly identical. The advantage of the OceanLED product though is the tritonium lens - it can stay in a marina year after year and always be wiped clean and marine life can't grow on it.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-02-2010, 3:12 PM Reply   
The latest LED technology is relatively cheap, over a buck for the latest LED chips like the CREE, MX6AWT-A1-0000-000C51. Look up the part at Digikey.com.

Some of the underwater LEDs use multiple chips so the cost would then be no more than $10 to $30 per array.

I think you’re paying for "marine packaging" and someone's patent.