Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 04, 2009

Old     (chris_b)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-16-2009, 6:33 PM Reply   
What will I have to do to repair a badly faded teak platform? Sand and oil?
Old     (lakebum14)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-16-2009, 6:48 PM Reply   
I use the three step kit by starbrite. Teak Cleaner, brightener and oil. I wouldn't sand it. The three step kit works pretty well by itself. You can find it at West Marine or Bass Pro shop. I just oiled mine again about a week ago. Well good luck.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-16-2009, 7:58 PM Reply   
Use bronze wool instead of sanding. It doesn't clog or leave marks. If you do sand use nothing finer than 60 grit. You could also try a 3M stripping pad.
Jonathan's method is great.
You might just need to oil it and not do anything else if it's not all black. Use teak oil or tung oil and just soak it on until it takes no more. Put oil coats on over a couple days at least to really soak the wood.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-16-2009, 8:25 PM Reply   
I say sand it. After that, do a light cleaning followed by a couple coats of oil and it will look good as new. I usually give ours a good sanding once a season and after that it only needs a coat of oil applied every once in a while - and it sits out in the sun at the marina all season.
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-16-2009, 8:39 PM Reply   
Sanding is bad. Johnathon & Art are correct. I hated the work so I coated it with Linex truck bed lining for $150 and it looks great after 4 years still and takes no effort.
Rick
Upload

(Message edited by Blastmaster on August 16, 2009)
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-16-2009, 10:01 PM Reply   
Depends on the condition.

Badly faded? Just faded or does it have heavy graining?

When in doubt bust out the sandpaper. I go with 120 then follow it up with 220, 320 if I have time to kill. For heavy dings/scratches I bust out the belt sander as I did this afternoon. Belt, then 220 then 320, that big ding I put it in last weekend backing into the dock is now gone. I always laugh and make fun of myself like John Belushi in Blues Bros... Comon' back, mon' back, bang... good.

I would not do anything to the teak that would prevent me from sanding out the wear and tear. That's the beauty of a teak platform.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       08-18-2009, 2:46 PM Reply   
For my platforms (I/O one on each side) it had been neglected for years and had a couple cracks that previous owner had shot a couple screws through but were loose.

First I disassembled the cracked bits and used "Titebond III" a wood glue advertised as weterproof, clamped tight to position and shot a couple screws through the cracked bits.

I lightly sanded the platform with 150 grit since it was kinda bad, then blew off with compressed air, scrubbed with a soft bristled brush, more air, then about 6 coats of teak oil with 30-45 minutes between each. Basically kept oiling until it stopped soaking it up. Mine were really dry but came out nice.

I put one coat of oil on them last month as they were fading a little bit. It's easier to just do a quick oiling a couple times per season than let them go, then you don't need to sand either.

Here's a pic I have part way through... Never took any pics when they were finished.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o234/cadunkle/Marlin%20Cobra/P1020139.jpg