Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-27-2011, 9:40 PM Reply   
I recently purchased Wetsounds Pro 80X for my 2007 Malibu. They sent the (wrong) instructions in the box (just the pro 80).

I am a computer engineer by profession, but have little experience with audio installs, has anyone done this before? Is there a PDF floating out there maybe that explains the step-by-step instructions on how one would install the pro 80x's (with amp) on the factory Sony stereo for a Malibu with the Illusion X tower?

There are some pro 80X instructions on the Wetsounds site, but they are pretty weak. Like really $1,000 speakers specifically designed for the Illusion tower, and all there is a 1 page (no diagrams or pictures) instruction set?

Everyone says Wetsounds are the best, which is why I bought them, I just need some help from the community in figuring out how to install them....

I greatly appreciate any tips/help from someone that has done this before!!!

TG

Lake Lotawana, MO
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-30-2011, 1:50 PM Reply   
What are you having trouble with?
Remove speaker from pod........ pull speaker wire through....bolt pod to tower....butt connect wires...... red is positive...... black is negative.....reinstall speaker.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-30-2011, 2:31 PM Reply   
Not sure I understand what your issue is. Are you not sure how to bolt them up or wire them up? Ive never read the owners manual, but I though the booklet encompassed all the Pro80 models.
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-01-2011, 10:22 AM Reply   
There is a lot more to it than that!

What about the missing steps where you have to drill out the holes on the housing so the provided bolts actually fit through them?

What about the part where you have to cut some wires on the housing where it connects from the crossover to the housing connect and strip the wire, and crimp it onto the factory speaker wire?

What about the part where the instructions say to remove the screws from the baffle, but you actually don't remove the screws from the baffle you "loosen" the screws on the baffle and bang like hell with your palm to separate the baffle from the speaker.

Those are the parts I'm talking about when I say the instructions are weak....
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-01-2011, 10:52 AM Reply   
TJ,

Sorry that you are having problems with the install. If you would like someone to walk you through it, you can contact Gyver in tech support at 877-938-7757

We have never added any diagrams as I made this single step by step sheet up years ago and this is the first time I have heard of anyone having an install issue. I always had plans to do pictures but just never felt we needed to.

Are you sure that you have a true PRO 80X speaker. An 80X should have a double stack top plate or a single thick plate (depending on production run) and a blank cover on the Nuetrik speaker connector in the back. YOU DO NOT have to drill the housings. YOU DO NOT have to cut any wires. The bolts should slide right through the plates and housing.

You can also just remove the grille and driver and not have to remove the whole baffle. Here is a step by step doing it that way.

1) Remove 4 screws holding the grille onto the housing. And remove the grille and speaker from the housing.

2) Remove acoustic dampening material

3) Take housing and hold up to the tower.

4) Feed the factory speaker wire thru the center hole of the PRO 80 mounting plate.

5) Take the 2 bolts using the washers and lock washers and bolt the housing up to the tower.

6) Please make sure that these bolts are tight. (The holes on the plates should line up directly with the factory threaded insets. However we have seen some towers that are not threaded in the proper locations. If this is the case. Please contact Wet Sounds at 877-938-7757 for advice)

7) Once your housing is bolted tight to the tower. Connect the factory positive wire to the + IN wire (Blue Wire) on the PRO 80 crossover. And connect the factory negative wire to the – IN (black wire that is directly next to the blue wire)

8) Insert the acoustic dampening material.

9) Hold the driver up to the housing to connect the speaker wires.

10) Connect the “soldered” white wire to the + positive (Red) push down terminal on the compression horn. Connect the “soldered” black wire to the – negative (Black) push down terminal on the compression horn.

11) Connect the wire with the spade connector (Red) to the + positive of the mid bass woofer. Connect the wire with the spade connector (Black) to the - negative of the mid bass woofer.

12) Insert the driver into the housing. Insert the grille into the housing making sure to line up all 4 mounting locations.

13) Attach the 4 stainless screws around to the housing. Please make sure these are tight but DO NOT over tighten.

14) Finished. Enjoy your Wet Sounds PRO 80X speakers

Please give Gyver a call in tech support 877-938-7757. If you cant get him ask for Justin or Omar and they can grab him for you.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-01-2011, 11:04 AM Reply   
I called Wetsounds customer support about 5 times yesterday. I talked with a guy named Justin, who was super friendly and super helpful about everything.

He is the one that provided the guidance to drill the housing and cut the wires. I promise you those zinc plated looking bolts did not fit through! Also there was another plate on there first with a rotor looking knob that I had to remove and put this new plate/hardware on.

I did not do the ordering, my wife got them as a surprise graduation present for me. She ordered them from some company in Texas (ear marine or something like that I think. I can look at the box when I get back home). Anyways, I'm not exactly sure what happened or why I had to do these steps, but with Justin's guidance everything did work out, and I did get them mounted last night and they are mounted really solid/nice.

lol, other than me bumping my head on them once already! We are very happy with the looks of them.

I just need to figure out what's happening with the sound, as it seems really high/clear but not very "full" sounding.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-01-2011, 11:51 AM Reply   
TJ,

I spoke with Justin and now I see what happened. The dealer that ordered the speakers for you from our dealer was not a Wet Sounds dealer so the speakers were NOT PRO 80X. They were regular PRO 80's. However, you got the X hardware. So not sure where the miscommunication came from.

Just glad Justin was able to walk you through it and spoke with you on how to convert the regular PRO 80 over to a PRO 80X. which is why so much trouble on your end. And why you had to drill out the internal plate.

If you would have had PRO 80X speakers to begin with. I think you would have been able to install them with no problems.

I will answer your tuning questions on the other post

Tim
Wet Sounds