Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-06-2010, 11:55 AM Reply   
Here's my situation: I spent a crapload on stereo gear to "do it the right way" the first time around. Problem is, I now have two JL amps that I believe have failed (amps are the a6450 70w x 4, and slash series 300/2). My 1000/1 sub amp is the only one still working correctly. I'm going to have the amps pulled this week to double-check that they are shot... but I've tested the heck out of everything and am 99% sure both amps are toast.

So... on the second time around... :-)
I'm not going JL. I'm looking for small-space efficiency, simplicity... and affordability. The Alpine PDX amplifiers seem to fit the bill.

Here's what I need to power:
- 4 Wetsounds XS-650's (high-pass crossover setting)
- 2 Wetsounds Pro 80's on the tower (no crossover)

For extreme simplicity's sake, would the PDX-5 work to replace the two amps and power all 6 speakers on the 4-channels and the tower speakers on the 5th channel?

Or would I be better off replacing the two amps with a PDX-4.150 and a PDX-2.150? And if so... opinions on stacking these amps on top of each other in a boat?

Thanks in advance!
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-06-2010, 1:59 PM Reply   
Wet Sounds Syn6, or a Syn4 and Syn2.
Old    falcon_v            01-06-2010, 2:05 PM Reply   
Also check ARC audio sight I just got a ks300.2 for 340 shipped on the arc audio store.
Old     (majestic)      Join Date: May 2008       01-06-2010, 7:34 PM Reply   
Here is how my system is powered;

1 PDX-5 powering
4-Wetsounds XS650's & 2 Jl 10" subs (75w4 and 300x1)

2 PDX 4.100's powering
4 Bullet Hollowpoint 770's with 200w going to each speaker.

I did not stack any of them they really don't take up much space.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-07-2010, 10:59 AM Reply   
In order of what I'd do:

1) JL makes good equipment. Send it off to be repaired. Will be much cheaper than any other option.

2) wetsounds syn amps
3) Use 2 alpine pdx amps. I personally woulnd't stack them. they do get warm...and mine get fairly hot when run for long periods. ( Houston, Texas).

Upload
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-08-2010, 8:55 AM Reply   
Thanks for the responses, guys... very helpful info. I pulled the amps last night to take in for bench testing.