Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-22-2009, 10:02 PM Reply   
www.innovativelight.com
Make lot's of cool stuff. They are pretty well know'n for the power transom light. I have had one for a few years. I have broke it 2 times now. It's like a power antenna and when it's fully extended it bends very easy. People getting off the back of your boat tend to use it as a handrail and one false move and it's junk. I have always been Jeallous of the Master Craft style tower/transome light's located on the pull points of the tower. So fast forward to now. I bent my power transome light and sent it in for repair well this time innovative light say's no dice the power transom light is "No Longer" a item we can fix. Yes your $200 power tramsome light is now junk because it has a kink in it. I say unacceptable Serious Im somewhat pissed off becuase they wont or can't fix it. I don't want to support company's that can't stand behind their product. I don't want it fixed for free or anything and don't feel like throwing it away because its 1/2 broken but I have no choice. So Im in the market for a new light and guess who just happens to make what I need???? Innovative light! Damm.
So here are some pick's of my Tower light Install.
So this is the light its 2 1/2 inches around
Upload
This is my pull point
Upload
I needed to cut the top off the pull point to make a flat surface. I put some electrical tape around the pull point and put a hose clamp around the pull point to act as a guide
Upload
Hack saw along the top of the hose clamp
Upload
The top of the pull point is now a flat surface
Upload
Then I drilled the center for the wires and tap'd the outside hole's for mounting
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Ok I have a last confession. I worked the hack saw for about 10 mins and wasent going anywhere so I ghetto rigged my Air hack saw. I installed a hack saw blade in it and 5 Mins later I was done. LOL. Here is my Hillbilly Hack saw Yee Haww

Upload
Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-22-2009, 10:34 PM Reply   
Nicely done!
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-23-2009, 5:37 AM Reply   
Didn't expect any less from you very nice.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-23-2009, 5:58 AM Reply   
LOL, I was like Holy shiatt he hand hack sawed that off!? Looks great as usual. Did you have to do any additional prep to the pull point other than the cutting?
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-23-2009, 6:45 AM Reply   
That looks gret Grant!
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       11-23-2009, 7:23 AM Reply   
I was just getting ready to ask how long it took to hack saw that off and then I saw that last picture.

Very nice work.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-23-2009, 8:15 AM Reply   
BTW if anyone is wondering this light sells for $62 and you can order them threw West Marine. They don't stock them.
"Did you have to do any additional prep to the pull point other than the cutting" Hate I guess I don't understand your question? Taking down the tower box.
Drilling and tapping the 10/32 threads into the pull point. Drilling the hole all the way threw the pull point. Pulling power all the way to the pull point (I haven't done that yet) Im gonna pull some New wire for my RGB's into the tower box and I will pull that wire at the same time. Im planning on drilling into the flat bar so I can make a hole in the round bar to pull wire down to the hull. Im gonna do all these holes under where the tower box hang's so you don't see the holes
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-23-2009, 10:37 AM Reply   
Sorry Grant, I understood that stuff but more meant how clean the cut was and the powder coats around it. Did you do any grinding or things of that nature to get it to come out that nice?
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-23-2009, 10:52 AM Reply   
why not just use the $35 monster tower tower navigation light?
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-23-2009, 11:13 AM Reply   
^^^ because that would not be custom..... G loves custom bling.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-23-2009, 11:41 AM Reply   
Wake: I took a look at the Monster light. It looks just like the other tower lights out there. I have a Over The Top (OTT) Bimini. I didn't want to have to put another hole in the bimini so a tower light like what you talked about would work. IMO it just makes putting the bimini up and down more of a pain + I don't like how they look IMO they look like a after thought. The Mastercraft's IMO have the best looking tower light. In the pictures my Pull point/tower light looks real tall but in person it looks more scale. Im sure If I painted the light it would blend in a bit better.
Hate. The hillbilly hack saw did a real nice cut. I sanded the top real quick to make the surface for drilling smooth. but the powder coat did just fine. Im gonna make a plastic spacer/gasket to go between the light and the pull point.
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-23-2009, 12:02 PM Reply   
I loved the idea of a tower anchor light, until i put speakers on my tower, that block the light to the sides. And my dealer so conveniently disconnected the stock rear light pole socket.

Both are wired to work now, but not after a couple of outings w/o a 360˚*light

Just something to remember for guys with above the tower speakers.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-23-2009, 4:21 PM Reply   
Wow G! That looks great! I'm gonna show this to my bro, looks like a great winter project! Had the same problem with people grabbing on the light at night while getting on or off. Very nice!
Old     (deltabri)      Join Date: Feb 2009       11-23-2009, 4:38 PM Reply   
The Light: http://www.innovativelight.com/all-round-led-ski-light_p_1473_11562_5.cfm#

G, very nice. I have been looking at everything, and until now, I was going to toss out the tower light idea. Thanks!!!!
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-23-2009, 5:16 PM Reply   
don't forget boards in racks too. my racks are kinda high, when there are boards in them that light would be blocked for me.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       11-24-2009, 7:07 AM Reply   
If you could take the rope out of your rubrail and put led strips all the way around your boat. I would think you could then put some kind of plastic hose cut in half to protect them some.

Of course after this your rub rail would not be too good for rubbing but it would look pretty cool to see the colors running around your boat in the dark. Very UFO like.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-24-2009, 7:45 AM Reply   
I would stay away from Anything rub rail related. IMO my rub rail takes alot of abuse and the last thing I would want to have is somthing that can or would break with a bump. We tie up our boats to each other and threw out the day some dick will drive by throwing a wake sending our boats bumping into each other messing up our rub rails just a bit. I try to keep the rail as nice as I can but its one of the things on the boat that's ment to take a bid of bump's and scrapes
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       11-24-2009, 7:50 AM Reply   
I agee but it would look pretty cool.

Sorry I meant to post this in your LED thread not this one.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-24-2009, 8:20 AM Reply   
A company a while back was selling a Fiber Optic rub rail. It looked pretty cool. The light was real even and smooth. Some one here on W/W had a Fiber Optic rub rail on a Super Air. Down side is that if you bumped the Fiber Optics it created a "HOT SPOT" this is a aera where the light bunches and is brighter. If you had a display boat or Never tied to anything a lighted rub rail would be a cool.
Dhcomp: The make diffrent length tower mounted lights. You could get one thats a bit taller that would clear your tower lights.
http://www.innovativelight.com/all-round-led-pedestal-mount-stern-light_p_1473_11563_6.cfm
The All round white LED that they use is super bight and white and uses very very little power.
BTW they make retro fit LED bulb's so you can switch out your power sucking traditional bulbs to
LED bulbs
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-24-2009, 9:00 AM Reply   
I just realized they sent me the Wrong light there is a Short and a Tall
I wanted the short and some how I didnt realize I have the tall.
Upload
Upload
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-24-2009, 10:02 AM Reply   
They are gonna switch out lights for me. The tall has some sort of voltage regulator inside of it and that's why its taller. So the short version has a seprate electronic piece that needs to be tucked away some where. I can hide it in the tower box no big deal. I think it will look better with the shorter version
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-24-2009, 10:34 AM Reply   
Yeah I agree the shorter will be much cleaner.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-24-2009, 10:48 AM Reply   
I will say the first thing I thought when I saw your light was it was on the tall side. The new one looks like it'll be more of a cap hence it'll look a little more organic. IMO
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-24-2009, 11:38 AM Reply   
Hate/Brenner Yea in the picks it looks rather tall but in person it looks ok. I agree the smaller one will give it more of a rounded and better look. Im also gonna paint the base black so it blends in with the pull point and a small plastic gasket will help blend the size diff between the light and the pull point.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-24-2009, 12:09 PM Reply   
I'm interested to see the finished product. I like the idea of those lights but most of the execution on them I just dont care for. They all look so tall and out of place very after thoughtish. No offense to those that have them. I think its smart to color match the base of the light in the end I bet you'll barely notice its there which in my opinion is what you're after with these.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-24-2009, 1:02 PM Reply   
looks great! (short will be better, but still looks good.) Nice work on hacksaw
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-26-2009, 6:53 PM Reply   
WE build hackysaws like that all the time in KY!!!!
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       11-26-2009, 7:19 PM Reply   
balls.
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       11-28-2009, 4:04 AM Reply   
So when are you going to add a strobe bulb to it and a thin red led ring like on your cup holders? ;)

Seems like a tricky one to wire 'invisibly' - how are you planning on running the cables? Getting them through the tow spool, along the oval tube and into the front or rear arch of the tower seems like it could be a mission...
Old     (jroyal)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-28-2009, 6:06 AM Reply   
As usual Grant, off the chain.
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       11-28-2009, 7:09 AM Reply   
Nice Job, looks great. Now I have been thinking about doing the same. I guess it is time to step up to the plate and just do it. Hey Grant maybe we should hook up and go out sometime, I am always looking for new people to go out with. We are in Millbrae.
Great Job Don C.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-28-2009, 9:50 AM Reply   
Brit: I was looking for some past photo"s of How I got a wire for my power flag threw the flat bar and into a round bar. You will drill threw the Pull Point. Once you are into the flat bar where the pull point is located the wire is trapped. I will drill a large hole in the underside of the flat bar. About the size of a nickle. The hole will be pretty close to where the flat bar attaches to round bar. The large hole in the flat bar will allow me to drill into the round bar and pass the wire into the round bar. I will cover the large hole with a plastic hole cover and the the tower box will cover that hole so you will never see how or where I drilled. If you look at where the Power flag is mounted (Rear round tube) the wire go's into the round tube and up and into the flat bar and runs along (where the wake rack's are mounted) and then back into the front round tube and then down the front leg and into the boat. That"s a tricky wire run. This one will be no problem.
Upload
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-28-2009, 9:56 AM Reply   
Don: Yea hit me up we are out all the time. If you need some help with your project let me know I can take a look and help you out if needed
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-28-2009, 9:32 PM Reply   
Very cool stuff Grant!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-29-2009, 10:34 AM Reply   
Im planning on cutting the pull point down real low. I will cut it just above the transition to the larger part of the pull point. The new smaller tower light base along with the shorter pull point it should look pretty good.
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       11-29-2009, 11:43 AM Reply   
Grant,
What 6x9's do you run and why? My pioneer REV's have about had it after 3 years in the AZ sun. I can't justify spending the money on wetsounds...
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-29-2009, 1:08 PM Reply   
Sam: I have been running the Boston Acoustics NX97's for around 4 1/2 years. The box is real tight inside and I don't know if anything other than what's in there would fit. Im pretty happy with the sound that's comming out of there.

My interior speakers have taken some water dammage and need to be replaced but other than that they have been no problem.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-18-2009, 10:22 AM Reply   
Just thought I would update. I got the new tower light today. Im gonna cut the pull point down a few inches and install this light.
Upload
It's a 2 piece install. The light base is much smaller because the 2nd piece (I have no idea what it is)?? a voltage regulator or balast or somthing can now be mounted in another location.
Its the black box in the picture
Upload
This should look much better and give the pull point a much more rounded look
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-21-2009, 8:00 PM Reply   
Here are some finished picks of the "Short" I ended up chopping the upper 1/2 of the pull point off
Upload
Then I had to drill and tap some new hole's
I was suprised to find that the pull point is SOLID.
When I finished drilling all the way threw the pull point you come out the bottom of the flat bar. That's right good thing the tower box will hide the wire
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-21-2009, 8:11 PM Reply   
That look's much better G !!!!
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-21-2009, 10:29 PM Reply   
NIIIICE...
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-22-2009, 11:43 AM Reply   
Nice work Grant! Looks great.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-22-2009, 12:47 PM Reply   
Looks awesome, really great job! That ballast looks pretty big where did you hide it?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-22-2009, 3:50 PM Reply   
Hate: The Light ballast is gonna be tucked away in the tower box. I had to remove the tower box for some other projects so it will sit inside here
Upload
Old     (rdmb)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-22-2009, 5:12 PM Reply   
Very nice work Grant. I used the New Dimension light but it required replacing the whole tow point. I was planning on refinishing the tower anyway. Needless to say a very expensive anchor light.

Upload
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-22-2009, 6:06 PM Reply   
Dave I feel ya. I don't know how you could do this add on and make it look clean unless you had a tower box to cover or hide the wire that comes out of the bottom of the tow point. I guess you could just add a plastic trim piece to cover the wire. I didn't want to add or put any more holes in my Bimini for a tower light. So the extra work it took to do this light will pay off in that I wont have to do any more work messing with a tower light every time I use the boat. Now I have to fill 2 large holes at the back of the boat the old tower light left behind.
Here is ken? I could use his $50 Gell Coat repair service about now.
Upload
Old     (dave23)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-22-2009, 11:43 PM Reply   
Doesn't the anchor light being at the back of the boat serve a purpose?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-23-2009, 6:28 AM Reply   
The way I uderstood it was the transome light. (White all round light) has to be located at the highest point at the rear portion of the boat. before towers came standard on wakeboats the white light on a pole at the rear of the boat was legal.
When you add a tower to a wakeboat the white light should be relocated to the tower. Im not sure what year the law came into effect. 2004 or so
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-23-2009, 7:13 AM Reply   
As long as the anchor light is visible 360 degrees, and higher than any other navigation lights on the vessel, it meets USCG regulations.
Old     (rdmb)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-23-2009, 10:24 PM Reply   
The way I read it, while under way you have to have a white allround "stern light" and red and green up front. While at anchor you need a white all round light at the highest point "located where it can best be seen". I would think on boats under 25 feet the tower would be an acceptable location and cover both purposes.
Old     (bjackson)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-30-2009, 6:15 PM Reply   
You mentioned you got the light at West Marine. What was the part number for the short version light that you ended up with?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-30-2009, 7:19 PM Reply   
Jackson" I got it at West Marine. They are a Innovative light dealer. How ever they don't stock the light. They need to special order it. I dont know what to tell you I don't have any of my paper work. I think you going to have to have West marine special order it. Its kind of a run around but if you dont need it over night it takes about 2 weeks. They will have to call Innovative light for a Quote and they they will get back with you on your price. Just tell them to ask for a 503 series Short all white light. Good luck. IMO it depends on who helps you at West Marine. Its like going to the DMV with some people you can get anything u want and others it's a dead end. But over all West Marine IMO is a good store
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-30-2009, 7:35 PM Reply   
Well if anyone wants the $89.95 Innovative Light tall version for $14.95 you can buy direct. They are factory seconds and they described it to me as defective chrome. Paint it, powder, whatever but for $15 it's a steal.

http://www.innovativelight.com/all-round-led-ski-light_p_1756_14297_3.cfm
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-31-2009, 5:21 AM Reply   
I think you can order Innovative Lights from iBoats.com