Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 04, 2009

Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       08-28-2009, 10:49 AM Reply   
I've got an 08 VLX, we've started to load it down heavier and heavier, we're going to be to the point soon where we won't be able to get on plane with the stock prop and the wedge down.

so for you guys with experience do you run the wedge or just load the boat heavy?

also i don't want to switch out the prop, sometimes we have to run 20miles or so to find a nice place of water and i don't want to have to cut the day short to have to find a place to get gas... i can go all day on a tank now plus i don't like being stuck running 25mph every where
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-28-2009, 10:54 AM Reply   
Sacs!! for sure. I never drop my wedge. Just mo' weight!

I haven't repropped my boat, but really need to do so. I am at that same point where mine is really sluggish getting on plane. I read on this site about a new OJ prop that is supposed to be perfect for the VLX. It was supposedly designed for the boat. It only drops the top end by like 3mph, but gives you way better hole shot. Someone can probably chime in with the exact prop number.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-28-2009, 11:04 AM Reply   
Weight is a lot better than the wedge IMHO.

Also: All things equal I am a big believer that re-propping doesn't burn more gas... if you want to run more sacs/lead. With a stock prop your burning a LOT of gas trying to get the boat on plane. With a new prop it will jump onto plane a lot faster. If I were in your shoes I would give a call to OJ or Acme and see if they will let you demo a prop...or your local shop. I have heard of some of the reps offering a free 30 day return policy on props if it isnt what you are looking for in a prop. FYI you may need to cruise a bit slower to get to your location with the new prop but I bet its a zero sum game when you combine taking several sets with a lot of weight.
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       08-28-2009, 11:43 AM Reply   
ok, so what's everyoen running as far as weight in your VLXs, and wake pics?
Old     (mnwake476)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-28-2009, 11:54 AM Reply   
It's definitely worth reproping i just put an acme 1235 on my vtx and it's a night and day difference especially with a loaded down boat. I only lost a few mph of top speed and i haven't really noticed a difference in fuel consumption either.

Also i would recommend more sacs over the wedge i find the wedge to be a bit overrated
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-28-2009, 12:05 PM Reply   
08 VLX - 750's in the rear, 3-400 lbs of lead in the nose and 3-400 of lead in the middle of boat should do the trick...make sure your in deep enough water ~ 12-15 ft
Old     (justsan)      Join Date: May 2009       08-28-2009, 12:09 PM Reply   
Sacs for sure -even better is lead or Shot (pop bags)...pull that Wedge up!
Reprop with the OJ or Acme...just call them and tell them how much weight you are running and what you've got.
Old     (justsan)      Join Date: May 2009       08-28-2009, 12:12 PM Reply   
*Sorry -didn't see that you have to run 20 miles out sometimes...BUT, just leave a little earlier and drive slower. The amount of gas that you will save by reproping with a bunch of weight in the boat is well worth it (getting out the hole). That's coming from my experience with my SAN210, and a close friend with a Bu VLX.

(Message edited by justsan on August 28, 2009)
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       08-28-2009, 12:37 PM Reply   
i loaded it down until it wouldnt plane, so i go the acme 1273 which is a updated version of the 1235. Its a little better on top end with same low end torque.
I run 650 sack in front with another 400 lbs of lead.
stock 1000 lbs
350 under each rear seat in the back =700
a 350lb bag on the floor aganst the back seats
and 100 in lead each in the rear lockers way in the back

total 3300 lbs plus wedge all the way down.

Most people say biggest VLx wake they have ridden
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       08-28-2009, 1:08 PM Reply   
nick, do you have any pics?
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-28-2009, 1:39 PM Reply   
im just a little shy of nicks boat and fairly similar in location. i run the 1235 in my boat and it comes out of the hole like a cannon. nick we should hook up soon to compare props.

i run stock ballast = 1250 that includes factory bow ballast.
200 lead in the bow stuffed in the side cut outs.
100 lead all the way forward in the walkway against the bow tank.
under the spotter seat, 200 lead
around the driver seat and under the helm is 200 lead.
under the rear seats on each side but forward the engine is 250 in lead each side.
in each rear locker i have 100 in lead all the back sitting on top of those small plates.
and then i keep 100 in lead( 2 50 lb bags) floating on the floor to even it out.
also have a third battery and dub 7 in a ported box

so total is 1250 stock, 1500 lead and wedge all the down up 1 click.

here you go.Upload
Upload
Old     (ndavis03)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-28-2009, 1:41 PM Reply   
Bryan-mackin'
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-28-2009, 1:42 PM Reply   
most of us ride at 80' and between 22-22.6 mph
i have a few friends that ride at 85' 23.6-24 mph
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-28-2009, 1:52 PM Reply   
the white 08 vlx in the background is a friend of ours and he likes to chime in on ww once in a while, his boat is right there with mine and nicks boat when it comes to wieght, wedge and location. we have all spent alot of time dialing our vlx's in and imo we got it covered!!
im yet to ride behind a vlx 06-08 wake hull that is not set up similar to this. i have heard many stories and tried many different ways. from 750's in the rear lockers and 1000 in the bow to what ever and it seems like it always comes back to this.... forward weight, meaning forward of the motor. and why not use the wedge? that is what gives you the rear weight you dont put in ballast. its just not the same. i dont believe any numbers that are stated about the wedge = ? in weight but i tried my set up i have with no wedge and 500 in each rear locker . basically subbing the "1000#" wedge force with weight and it was a total ramped out widows peak.

anyway, get out there and mess with it. if you can get lead to move around it will make it easier to find that sweet spot.

nick, thanks brotha, it is!! anytime you wanna hit it up shoot me a call. how do you have that vtx weighted? im still have not got to ride behind a dialed in vtx but would love too.

(Message edited by westsiderippa on August 28, 2009)
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       08-28-2009, 2:03 PM Reply   
yep we should do that Bryan, Ohio said you just got your boat back bet your stoked.

Like Bryan said think we all have played with our set ups I dont it took me 2 months before i was happy. But its mackin now.

we ride at 24-24.6 at 85-90 ft. so we need some extra weight. Im a big dude so i need some extra speed.
Old     (ndavis03)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-28-2009, 2:03 PM Reply   
Bryan-I haven't done much in dialing the wake, but am contemplating a piggyback type system to add on to the existing 4 tanks. I have always wanted some lead, but have to drive 75 miles, one way, to my local lake. I don't go to the delta at all, for some reason, but if I do I will try to get a hold of you.

Any update on the heated seats?
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-28-2009, 2:46 PM Reply   
not yet. i will let you know when i do.

and yah i real pumped about getting my boat back, too bad i got LIT UP on monday and cant ride for a couple weeks. wound up with a couple dislocated ribs. josh had to drag my a-- out of the water, kinda lame.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-28-2009, 2:49 PM Reply   
One thing to remember about the whole vs non-wedge debate is what's being done with the boat. In my experience the wedge makes the boat handle like a pig which is fine in the delta where Upple Dubs are rarely driven. However in driving upple dubs I prefer more weight with no wedge as the boat tracks better. I have also found that the throttle gets a bit more responsive with a non-wedge...again coming into play really only when your trying to T-em up.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-28-2009, 5:07 PM Reply   
I have used the wedge with good results in shallow water ~ 5-8 ft
Old     (supernatural)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-28-2009, 7:53 PM Reply   
I'm running the acme 1235 prop and 750's piggybacked in the lockers & 1000# sac up front with no wedge. solid wake at 85' @ 22 mph. Also liked 400's in lockers with wedge all the way down.
Old     (supernatural)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-29-2009, 11:14 AM Reply   
I want to try this setup but only have the monsoon motor.
Upload