Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old    billymac            10-28-2005, 1:26 PM Reply   
Hey gang. My wife and I bought our first boat this year and had a great time with it. It's a modest I/O, but it's a great starter boat for us. We added a monster tower to it as well as a new head unit, custom 10" JL sub and amp. So here's the deal. I was thinking about adding that Infinity 6100M package with tower speakers and amp and everything and just finally decided it wasn't for us. It would hang down 10" from my monster tower and I can hear my wife getting upset about hitting her head on them already. Not to mention the Monster bimini would have to be stowed in front of the speakers instead of the normal spot. At any rate, I'm not doing those. So here's what I'm planning, just wondering what you guys think.

Replacing the stock JBL 5.25" dual cone speakers with the Polk Momo MMC650's 6.5" speakers in the rear and then adding a pair of Polk DB1000 component tweeters to the driver side and passenger side just below the deck top. These would be powered by a 4-channel 160 watt Soundstream amp which is currently already installed (currently two channels bridge to JL sub). Then since I'd need a new amp for the sub, I'm thinking of JL Audio's E1200 http://www.cartoys.com/Default.cfm/p/E1200_Mono_Block_Amplifier/

So what do you guys think? I'll just order the Polk items through Crutchfield and then buy the amp and have the install done at my local car toys. Oh, the head unit I'm using is the Kenwood KDCMP4028 with Aux in for Ipod flush mounted.

Do you think 40-watts RMS will be enough to power those Polks 6.5"'s? Remember, I'm not trying to hear the music while we ride, I want too clean sound at low, medium and high volumes. Also, will adding the tweeters closer to the middle/front of the boat help increase the soundstage so that you can hear the music in the bow without drowning out the people in the back of the boat?

thanks for any advice

billy