Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 08, 2007

Old     (zaf88)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-20-2007, 9:48 AM Reply   
finally got the balls to just throw it but im def. doin something wrong here. when i land it feels like there is so much slack in the rope that its going to tear my arm off. any tips would be appreciated:

http://www.zafaranloo.com/gallery/wakeboard/z?full=1
Old     (gmhdesign)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-20-2007, 10:02 AM Reply   
That looks weird to me? There might be a name for this but it looks like your doing some kind of healside front roll. Your tucking your head in to your chest. (mexican back roll???)

to do a back roll? try looking back over your right shoulder as you leave the wake. look in the direction you want your board to go and it will follow... My Humble advice...

I'm probably way off? Whatever your doing it looks cool!

(Message edited by gmhdesign on June 20, 2007)
Old     (brick)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-20-2007, 10:08 AM Reply   
Its a mexican back roll. Sorry can't help though, I throw the traditional roll. It looks like your close, just lost the handle. Good luck.
Old     (lfshane132)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-20-2007, 10:49 AM Reply   
your back shouldnt be turned to the boat in the air. i think your back is being turned because you might be pulling the rope which then gives you slack when you land. i could be totally wrong because i cannot throw a mexican backroll
Old     (zaf88)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-20-2007, 11:45 AM Reply   
i just want to do a regular roll. i ride goofey, so coming in heelside i should look to my right shoulder? feels like i should look to my left shoulder no?
Old     (rightside)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-20-2007, 11:48 AM Reply   
Turn your chin to your front shoulder and throw the board up the wake like if you weren't strapped in you are kicking the board out away from you.
Old     (other1)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-20-2007, 12:06 PM Reply   
Ride up the wake - stand tall - look up over your right shoulder (not back over) - and try to shove your right hip "up" into your hands which you should have nice and low.

Perhaps think of it as a reverse cartwheel? Really hard trick to mimic on the tramp.

Sound about right Greg? Lord knows I have been watching and listening!
Old     (zaf88)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-20-2007, 5:24 PM Reply   
alright i think i got it ill try it this weekend if my friggin boat gets fixed. its the look into the RIGHT shoulder that sounds wierd but u guys know what ur talkin about so ill throw it. also is a ralley hard to do???
Old     (jusstty)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-20-2007, 5:48 PM Reply   
Stay tucked throughout the whole rotation, and i would'nt look over either shoulder until after you throw the rotation. Huck your shoulder in the opposite direction you are traveling. Good luck
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       06-20-2007, 6:01 PM Reply   
not to throw too much into this conversation or to discredit what you're saying justin... but the backroll isn't about hucking anything... you need to ride all the way up the wake and look over your right shoulder, and just let the wake push your board up and over, right now you are hucking/pulling on the rope to make you rotate, the backroll is all about using the wake to push you around... you'll get it!

also, what esteban said about pushing your hips to the handle and keeping it low is all correct, keeping both hands on the handle will help too as if you feel you need to you can pull the handle a bit to speed up your rotation or let your arms out to slow it down, when done right you will land is if you never left the water... cool feeling

(Message edited by wakebordr11 on June 20, 2007)
Old     (gmhdesign)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-21-2007, 5:18 AM Reply   
Sorry to make things more complicated but this guy is so close to a mexican back roll I think we should be telling him to keep going in the direction he's already worked on. Does anyone do the Mexican Roll??? He's so close!
Old     (zaf88)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-21-2007, 9:17 AM Reply   
greg your not related to bob huth out of philidelphia r u?
Old     (zaf88)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-21-2007, 9:19 AM Reply   
also if i do the mexican should i be holding on with both hands or let go with one?
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       06-21-2007, 9:32 AM Reply   
I still say hold on with both hands... I have done both styles of the roll, find its easier to do the traditional backroll... for me anyways, but if you want to do the mexi you might need to let go with one half way through, I think you still need to work on holding your edge a little more and allowing the wake to push you around for the mexican roll vs how you are pulling so hard on the rope right now... the wake will do the work, just duck your head down for the mexican vs looking over your shoulder for traditional

also, when Ive done mexicans, the roll isn't directed straight at the boat, my board is sort of oriented to the angle of the wake with regards to the boat... if that makes sense, its not exactly like a straight summersault directed at the boat... Im not pro on these, anybody else with any advice? I guess if you flip towards the boat like that, you will end up with slack because you are moving towards the boat

(Message edited by wakebordr11 on June 21, 2007)
Old     (gmhdesign)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-21-2007, 9:40 AM Reply   
Well if I am related to Bob, It must be very distant. Huth is a pretty rare name here in the states.

I’m sorry to say that I don’t have any experience with the Mexican BR, but from the looks of it, I’d say let go with your left hand. But really and truly, you should find a Wakeboard Magazine with a Mex. BR tutorial in it. Or try to find a walk through on wakeboarder.com

I wish someone with some Mexican experience could help you out. I’m really just speculating.
Old     (zaf88)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-22-2007, 8:12 AM Reply   
well he is the president of davids bridal so if ur related u better start building a relationship w him soon.

as soon as my boats outta the shop im gonna try ur suggestions. really appreciate it guys.
Old    wakejjboard12            06-22-2007, 8:16 AM Reply   
get the book.
Old     (gmhdesign)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-22-2007, 8:51 AM Reply   
Nice heads up on the Davids Bridal! I'll have to look him up ;-)