Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2006

Old     (cfd313)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-29-2006, 3:26 PM Reply   
What's the deal with Tantrums. How does is seem so many people break their femurs tryin this trick....
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-29-2006, 5:21 PM Reply   
It's one of the first inverts you learn and more people can do the trick. If you land with locked knees, the force has to go somewhere...You can get hurt on any trick, so dont fret over it. IMO, you can reduce your chances of injury by being in good shape, but even that is no guarantee
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-29-2006, 6:25 PM Reply   
There are a lot of variables on tannys. Leaving early is one of the most common mistakes, and is usually where the injuries occur. This being one of the more common mistakes leads to a lot of femur injuries, I would think.

Hurt my ankle a couple of times myself.
Old     (jesswake_snow)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-29-2006, 8:25 PM Reply   
yes im interested in this as well. Having a bad hip doenst hold me back from throwing it. I would just like to know in what position do most people fall on this trick when the femur injuries occurs. falling short, forward, backward or what? Is it dipping the nose and faceplanting?
Old     (bassmanjoshis)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-29-2006, 9:15 PM Reply   
Ya, I tore my mcl and pcl on a tantrum. wasnt' my first time, had landed a few, but a random landing with my front knee straight and pop...Won't try them on a small outboard motor boat anymore (wake was probably 5 inches high).
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       10-29-2006, 10:43 PM Reply   
I would say more people hurt their ankles attempting tantrums from under rotation. I call them "Tantrum Ankles" for a reason. It is a trick I do not like to miss. All out or not at all. I too have landed it lock legged and had a sore knee after.

The last time I blew my ear drum, and lost 1/3 of my hearing, was on a tantrum that was waaay over rotated and landed on the side of my head.

Dang for such an easy trick it sure has beat me up.
Old     (hanglooser)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-30-2006, 9:01 AM Reply   
It`s aready a while ago, but i had al little bit a of pain caused by a tantrum, too. As you can see here:
Upload
The good thing about it, was that we always had delicious drinks in hospital:
Upload
and throughing 1080 whirlys with the wheelchair, was quite fun, too:
Upload
To my excuse: The boat driver was going off throttle, while i was i was in the air. My Achilles tendon, didn`t absorbed the one feeted landing that well...

Siggi
Old    petey20            10-30-2006, 2:44 PM Reply   
OK, OK, I have to get in on this fun topic. I just broke my femur in Sep doing a tantrum. Everything went fine until the landing. My left foot popped out of the binding and my right foot stayed in. The torque of the board brought my leg up and to my opposite shoulder. Snapped my femur outward, but didn't break the skin. My thoughts...I'm gonna stay away from the tantrum from now on. It's too risky and not worth the injuries...ankles or legs. My advice would be to opt for spins, back rolls, or ralies. But what do I know, I'm getting old and I have a baby boy on the way. I need to be able to walk. Peace!

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (cfd313)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-31-2006, 4:56 AM Reply   
Yeah that's why i started this topic...i tried about 5 this year and landed one, then it seemed like after the Dallas accident everybody started talking about tantrums, femurs,etc. I'm only 24 but im a firefighter and i have only been here for 2 years so i don't have that much sick time. So I was wondering if there was something i could do to help prevent injuries when doing this or other inverts, not that i'm gonna stop tryin but ya know...
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-31-2006, 6:00 AM Reply   
Make sure your boots are tight and secured to the board so that your foot doesn't come out on the takeoff. Stretch out before you ride. I would also make sure you take a full cut into the wake...casing the wake on some boats can be hazardous to your health and you'll be less likely to under-rotate. If you aren't comfortable with the rotation - I would move on to another invert.

Damn, Marcus - you didn't have to post the pic with your flesh hanging out.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-31-2006, 9:07 AM Reply   
Marcus, you need to warn people......

How you healing up ??
Old    petey20            10-31-2006, 1:48 PM Reply   
Getting better every day! I finally just started to be able to get a full revolution on the stationary bike. I'll be on crutches for another 1-2 weeks, hopefully. I can get around the house just using one crutch, but I still can't put full weight on the leg. I go to physical therapy every day and I'm still working on getting my full range of motion back. It's painful, but it feels good to know that I'm getting better. Sorry about the pic...

Later
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-31-2006, 1:53 PM Reply   
Actually, it's pretty good pic for halloween.

Glad to hear you are getting better, stay tough.
Old    murrayair            10-31-2006, 8:59 PM Reply   
Oh man, now I have to spend the next half hour trying to get that pic out of my mind. Ouch, ouch, ouch.
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-01-2006, 8:16 AM Reply   
I think the biggest thing is just to make sure you don't take off early. Just by waiting that half a second will help a ton.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-01-2006, 8:25 AM Reply   
At least it should comfort people that you broke it NOT from the tantrum but from your foot coming out of the binding. Sorry to hear about your injury...I can't even imagine the rehab. Good luck!
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-01-2006, 9:40 AM Reply   
I had my back foot ripped out of the binding yesterday on a crow. Scariest thing that has ever happened to me. Somehow I survived.
Old     (cfd313)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-01-2006, 3:37 PM Reply   
thanks guys for the info...i love this place