Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Kerry)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-15-2012, 2:27 PM Reply   
Am I the only one who still wishes they made the older style Ultra Bindings? My last pair were the 2005 Ultra’s and I had them for about 6 seasons. Loved em so much that I found a pair of 04’s but they weren’t quite as good as the 05’s. Tried finding a pair of 05-07’s but never had any luck and so I bought a whole new ronix setup this year (one bindings). I really like my one’s but kind of get annoyed with having to cinch up the laces. Sometimes I feel like they pull loose too. I just miss stepping into those ultra’s knowing there were no laces, straps, buttons etc. The whole ride your foot was set. The new ultra’s shouldn’t be called Ultra’s either but that’s just my opinion. I know things have improved, just miss the simplicity of those legendary boots.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-16-2012, 9:53 AM Reply   
If you like a good pair of slip-ons try Wiley's they used make the best. Hopefully they still do.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-16-2012, 9:56 AM Reply   
No way could you pay me to going back to using soap to get my bindings on and not having a comfortable setup like my current boots. If I want to do that I'll just go grab my slalom ski.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       08-16-2012, 10:01 AM Reply   
used to feel that way until i tried on my first pair of Ronix One full boot bindings. Now you couldnt pay me to go back to open toe bindings.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       08-16-2012, 10:13 AM Reply   
Kerry,

eBay is your friend.

I check eBay constantly for LF Exo's, because I don't think a better binding has been made for the sport before or since.

I have about 7 pairs of Exo Suctions. 4 of them are in their plastic bags still, sitting in a cedar closet.

I poked around and found these already for you:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Liquid-Force...item3a77b90f73

Hope that helps. eBay is your friend.

-Erik
Old     (Kerry)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-16-2012, 10:41 AM Reply   
Don't get me wrong guys I love my new Ronix One's. Just miss the no lace, no strap style. I actually preferred the later ones Erik. They had more support.

I still have to use lube for my one's too just so I take care of them and don't drag on the liner. The lining of my new ones is very similar to that of the 04-07 ultras.

They could always make a closed toe ultra too... Plus the neoprene liner of the 04-07 ultras is more comfortable than the wileys. Don't worry I've moved on. Just saying I would definitely be interested in a closed toe no lace, no strap, no zipper...etc. model. Open toe/closed toe is another debate.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       08-16-2012, 11:20 AM Reply   
Ok well, check ebay still. There are some on there now and you can set up a search agent to be notified anytime someone posts a pair up there.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       08-16-2012, 11:25 AM Reply   
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Liquid-Force...item3f1a0be9f5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Liquid-Force...item2eb5e3626b

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...ultra&_sacat=0
Old    sperbet            08-16-2012, 11:36 AM Reply   
I've got a pair I'd be willing to part with. Pretty sure they are 05s. Still in good condition, think I used them for a season before going to the first closed toe 3DS. Let me know if you're interested.
Old     (daren)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-16-2012, 11:45 AM Reply   
I still ride the old ultras! I've been riding them a long time and have learned how to get in and out without soap. Several years ago I bought some LF Transits and within a month had 2 concussions. You don't come out of the Transits and that means when you catch an edge you're taking it to the head. I liked the performance of the Transits but it wasn't worth it for me.
Old     (Kerry)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-16-2012, 12:03 PM Reply   
Thanks Erik - I actually did poke around and saw all those as well. They are either the old type or wrong size. I rode the L (9-11).

Scott - What size? PM me a pic if you want.

Daren - Thats awesome. I understand what you mean. There's no way I'm coming out of my ones and as much as I love em. I'm just not sure its worth the extra support but whatev. I know a lot of guys still rocking the old ultra's too. My salesman where I bought my new Ronix setup said he was still kickin his haha.
Old     (tahoeguy7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-17-2012, 5:20 AM Reply   
I definitely love the look of the old Ultras. I always like the X-ray wrap on them. However, I switched over to the Hyperlite Highbacks in 03 and I never went back to using shaving cream to get in my bindings.
Old     (jrbackus)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-17-2012, 12:24 PM Reply   
I completely agree with you. I have absolutly NO use for laces on bindings. I feel this way for a lot of reasons. First, if I crash hard, I want to part ways with my board. I've seen a lot of unnecessary knee surgeries/broken ankles due to feet not coming out of bindings. Second, laces make the bindings way harder and time consuming to get on. I know, I know, I need to use lube, it's still way faster and easier than laces (and my feet smell better!). And finally, getting out of the bindings SUCKS when you're reaching underwater trying to find the lace slides (espically if you have 2 per binding!). Ok, down off the soap box...

I was in the market for a new pair of "old school" bindings and found myself in the same position you are. I finally called Wiley and although they're not listed on their website anymore, they will build you a pair and they're very reasonable ($125 regular or $150 pro build). Doesn't get much better than Wiley when you're talking high wraps.

--Jeremy
Old    sperbet            08-17-2012, 12:26 PM Reply   
Kerry, pretty sure they're a large. I'm on my way out of town, but I'll get you a pick after the weekend.